General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Ignition powered/controlled wire behind factory radio?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 10:55 AM
Default Ignition powered/controlled wire behind factory radio?

Hey all! I purcahsed a PIE adaptor to turn the CD changer port into an RCA source for either an external XM radio or iPod source. After reading through the instructions, it seems to be an easy install. However I am stuck at one point. The instructions say that I need to connect the power wireto a "Constant 12V source". I am guessing this means that even when I power off my car and I leave, that the external radio (XM) I will be using will still remain powered up until I press the power down on the actual radio? I had this problem on my old car where the external XM radio would not shut down after getting out of the car and I had my battery drain on my more than I once and I would like to avoid this.

Is there a wire that I can tap into that will power the external XM radio on and off each time with the factory radio?

Old 02-22-2009, 11:37 AM
Default RE: Ignition powered/controlled wire behind factory radio?

hey pm me ur email and ill send u the wiring diagram for the radio and amp...

Old 02-22-2009, 08:37 PM

I'm sure kweef will fix you up. I hooked up my p.i.e unit to the cig lighter with a squeeze on fitting with a female connector.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:40 PM

What color wire?

Old 02-23-2009, 09:39 PM

sorry my bad . I ran a wire from power distribution box by the battery. used the factory fog opening to run my aftermarket fogs and then tapped that for my P.I.E unit. it is a constant 12v.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:53 AM

To clarify, does a "constant 12V" power source mean that I will have to manually turn the radio off when I finish my trip?

In my old crown victoria, I powered my XM radio through the cigarette adaptor which was ALWAYS powered. I had to constantly remind myself to slip the power off when getting out of the car or my battery would be dead if I left it on for a long period of time. I have seen some radio wire diagrams and see a 12V source...I just want to make sure it will do what I want it to.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:01 AM

kweef, thanks for the diagram!

Would B1 (orange wire) Battery Positive Voltage be the wire to tap into?

Old 02-24-2009, 12:58 PM

I have my sirrius plugged in to the lighter and always turn the unit off. the p.i.e unit needs 12v for some kind of memory retention and the power draw is very low. I think if you turn your xm off you should be ok for at least a week or two if you don't drive it.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:33 PM

Thanks Jeff, however I definately want to go the hard wire route. I just need verification on the correct wire...

Old 02-25-2009, 01:45 PM

Update...

After looking closer at the 12V wire I see that the end has this flat metal looking end to it, almost like a flat end of a fuse (that may be what it is supposed to be). I circled it in red...

Anyway I looked closed at the manual and it says:

"Seek a source that will provide constant 12V to the yellow wire. Good sources include the fuse box and cigarette lighter."

SO, I think I may go the fuse box route instead since the end looks like it should plug right in.

Does anyone know of a spot (12V), empty fuse slot?

Quick Reply: Ignition powered/controlled wire behind factory radio?