General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

How to install 2142246 {#19239625} Vapor Canister Purge Solenoid questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2020, 10:39 AM
Default How to install 2142246 {#19239625} Vapor Canister Purge Solenoid questions

The two parts below I need help with installation wise.
I started this thread only because I think the last one became stale as it was only asking what the part in the picture was, and not how to install said part.

24506671 Harness Asm-Fuel Pressure Regulator Vacuum & Evap Emission (the line from the TB to the solenoid)
2142246 {#19239625} Vapor Canister Purge Solenoid
The solenoid is the worry for me to install as it is a fuel system component.
Is there a procedure besides unbolting and pulling the thing off?
Do I have to shut the fuel pressure off somehow or?
Some fuel systems components I think you have to relieve the fuel pressure first.

Any info is greatly appreciated as usual.

Thank you!

Old 04-23-2020, 12:08 PM

For the evap, that should be just plug and play..

For the fpr, pull the fuel pump fuse while the car is running and let it die. Thatll relieve the fuel pressure. It will still trickle out of the rail however so have a rag or something handy..

With that said, I dont know if this is proper procedure but ive done both of these several times this way with no ill effects.

Old 04-24-2020, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by wht02monte
For the evap, that should be just plug and play..

For the fpr, pull the fuel pump fuse while the car is running and let it die. Thatll relieve the fuel pressure. It will still trickle out of the rail however so have a rag or something handy..

With that said, I dont know if this is proper procedure but ive done both of these several times this way with no ill effects.
So basically, I just unbolt and remove the evap sensor. So I don't need to do the remove the fuse and run car till dry for just the evap, that is for the fuel pressure regulator which I am not removing, correct?

Just making 100% sure I am tracking you.
Thank you

Old 04-24-2020, 01:53 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You just want to know the best way to install the solenoid?

Just unplug it, pull it off and put the new one on. You aren't going to harm anything, you can unplug it while the engine is even running to test vacuum as a way to test those.

Since you already have the part, just unplug and remove.

Old 07-07-2020, 12:51 PM

I noticed a couple things about the install that worry me.

To remove the solenoid, it looks like it may have a plastic tab on the mounting bracket that I assume may need a blade screwdriver to be push it out of the way to release solenoid. Am I correct? I just don't want to break something if it just requires a tug and not a tool that might crack old plastic.

The solenoid came with an orange cap on one end of it and I am assuming it just gets pulled off? Not sure if it is an actual part of the solenoid or just a cap. I just don't want to yank on it and then realize after breaking it I should have kept it on.

Also, the hard plastic vacuum line has bulges from being pressed onto the old solenoid. It is a line that I am wondering if I have to cut the bulge area out, then press the unaffected part of the hose onto the solenoid. I worry about the bulged part can cause a leak from it being elongated diameter wise or perhaps form a hairline crack form from yanking the old solenoid or even by pressing the new one on. If I cut it, and the bulges are actually preformed by the factory, I wont be able to attach it to the solenoid and the car would be out of commission.

Thank you guys for the input!

*These questions are probably very obvious as to what the answer is to many, and seem very cut and dry on how to do this... but I have ruined an sensor clip thinking I knew how to remove it. It would never click/ lock on again without McGyvering it afterwards. Better to know 100% as knowing any less than 100% can lead to damaging the car or new parts I just purchased.

Last edited by Mike85120; 07-11-2020 at 02:37 PM.