General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

GM Recall on 3800 3.8-liter V6 Cars

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 07:53 AM

The cover would fit except they cut the nubs off the top of the intake plenum. And the hole would need to be bigger to clear the oil cap.

Old 07-01-2016, 04:56 PM

I put the cover and longer oil fill tube on today, and it fit fine. I seems to be as tight as it was before the recall, but I need to drive it to be sure.

I would have said I have a pretty clean engine and compartment, but I was surprised to how dirty it was under the cover. Tomorrow is cleaning day under there. I guess it made sense to remove it for the recall. I can imagine what it might look like under there on a car that no one takes care of. I could see grease leaves and nest under there catching fire pretty easily.

Old 08-22-2016, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by johnt671
I put the cover and longer oil fill tube on today, and it fit fine. I seems to be as tight as it was before the recall, but I need to drive it to be sure.

I would have said I have a pretty clean engine and compartment, but I was surprised to how dirty it was under the cover. Tomorrow is cleaning day under there. I guess it made sense to remove it for the recall. I can imagine what it might look like under there on a car that no one takes care of. I could see grease leaves and nest under there catching fire pretty easily.
So just to confirm the cover will fit fine after I get the recall done? I have mine at the dealer right now debating about having it done or not. Its not leaking. The mechanic told me that the cover wont fit anymore. I had a buddy get his done, and he said that they put the cover back on for him. I'm really confused on this. Its not leaking so I might hold off for now.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:40 AM

I bought a blue 2002 Monte SS and the Carfax report stated on last line engine fire. I asked the Salesman about it, he was clueless, just wanted to sell the car before they sent it to Auction for a few bucks. The car had some minor problems and the Dealer must of gave little for it on trade. The problems were ABS/Traction Control, check engine, front tires were shot, drivers power window did not work and front brakes. So, I got the car, for $2000 plus paper work, it only turned 100000 miles, paint was very good, except for drivers rear wheel well. The Dealer never ran it through the Shop but gave me a quick oil change, that is all the Service I, got, from him. I had the abs and brakes checked out, thieves Monroe Brake wanted $400 for new hub and $400 for new brakes/rotors. I took the Monte to a local garage, the ABS sensor was not plugged in , $45 instead of $400. I bought new Centric rotors and pads for the front, $115; my buddy is installing them for free, saved $300. I was curious about the engine fire on the Carfax report took it to Chevy dealer, needed new front valve cover gasket, guess the Carfax,was telling me of the recall, did it two days later, took my beauty engine cover and would not give it back, said it was part of the recall?????. The check engine codes are for the fuel pump, the level sensor and tank pressure sensor need attention, debating on a rebuild of the fuel pump or a new ACDelco, Mu1743;$165 @rockauto. So, I think I got a fairly good deal on the Monte, got some scheduled maintenance to do, plugs, wires, tranny service, belt but no emergency work for right now. I did buy two tires and an four wheel alignment, the rear end was way out, don't know how, the front tires got so worn, might of been on the back, the other two BFGoodrich TA were almost brand new.

Old 08-24-2016, 12:53 PM

Yes it was part of the recall to remove the cover. I took mine off before it went to the dealer. The dealer told me the cover wouldn't fit now. I took the car home and put the cover back on . It fit just like before. The dealer lied.

Old 08-28-2016, 02:32 PM

Before any if you guys go to have any work done or the latest recall done REMOVE your cosmetic engine cover and ask for the long filler neck!!!! With the recall they are taking the cover to turn it into GM. My cover is costum painted & the service writer let ,me remove it before of finished the drop off paperwork last Monday(8/22/2016). This way they could document on paperwork that my vehicle came in without it

Old 08-28-2016, 02:40 PM

I'll put my orig long filler neck & cover back on after Sept when the car has yearly inspection done. Since I only put less than 1000 miles on my Monte a year & all service is up to date. I did test fit the cover & it will fit back on with & without the long filler neck( a little tight w/out the long filler neck)

Old 08-29-2016, 10:25 AM

I had mine completed last week, and took the cover off before I took it in. I forgot to remove the filler neck though. They said that they have to send the covers to GM to be destroyed. They just marked it down that car did not have it when it came in for work. Anyways I got the car back, and they left the filler neck on there for me. I just have to put the cover back on, and it looks like everything should be good to go.

Old 08-20-2021, 12:25 PM

Hey bowtie whats the recall for

Old 08-24-2021, 08:14 PM

The recall is for a front valve cover and gasket for the 3800 and a ignition recall where they fix your key if you qualify.

Quick Reply: GM Recall on 3800 3.8-liter V6 Cars