General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

General Monte Carlo Question(s)

Old 05-26-2008, 11:33 PM
Default General Monte Carlo Question(s)

Hey all, I am looking at buying a used car and have been looking at Monte Carlos specifically (2005 or 2007, more likely 2005 due to price being lower). I hope you can assist my search by answering a few questions

-Snow handling. I am thinking since it seems bigger for a coup, and with FWD drivetrain, it'll do pretty well, but it still is a sportier car. Any issues with snow?

-Reliability. I havent done too much research, but I do know that Consumer Reports put the 01, 02, and 06 Monte Carlo's on their "worst used cars" list. I really won't be able to afford a car that always has something breaking down (a main reason most of my car-shopping has been geared towards Civics, Accords, and Camrys). I have been looking at car postings online, and two caught my eye for sale at the same dealer. One has 52K miles and had its Battery replaced , A/C and heating control assembly replaced, Console latch replaced, and Rear brake rotors resurfaced/turned. Now i'm not 100% sure if all of that is deterioration, but I just want to make sure im geting a good car. The other one at the dealer only has 32K miles... which makes me think only 10-20K more before I have to get all of the above replaced...

-The LS 3.5L is cheapest, will that still give me a sporty feel and a decent amount of power? [:@]

Thanks!!

Old 05-26-2008, 11:39 PM
Default RE: General Monte Carlo Question(s)

also one more thing, used prices of these cars seem very low compared to many other cars in the market. Why do you think that is? Just because they are discontinued, or something else?

Thanks!

Old 05-27-2008, 06:42 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

there isn't much demand for a large, 2 door coupe these days. most people think that the cars are impractical becasue they are so large and don't even have 4 doors. but if you like hte large, 2 door coupe, you'll love it.

you might not get quite as good reliability out of a monte as you would a civic or a camry, but i think they're pretty good and reliable myself. just don't get the 3.4.... they're intake manifold gasket tends to leak. but overall, you ahve to take care of anything to get it to last. if you take care fo your monte, it will take care of you. but that applies to any car.

happy car hunting

Old 05-27-2008, 07:17 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

hey welcome to the site

i have no idea why these car's have absolutely no resale value @ all, it doesn't make sense, they're an awesome car, very comfortable inside, love the heated leather seats, and a very good looking car outside

as for the snow i loved my monte, it drove very well in the snow, probably the best of anything i've had,never really spun the tires much @ all and could always steer it no problem in the snow

as for fixing if anything goes wrong, the parts on these cars are cheap, well relativly compaired to your other vehicles in that price range or higher,

doing the common stuff, brakes are cheap, hubs go on these cars every now and then, but if you put a good one on they're like 150, and you wont have to worry about that yet being a 2005, but yah, other than normal stuff i dont think there's usually much goes wrong with them..just brakes (every vehicle needs brakes changed) and oil changes

difinetely a good car

Old 05-27-2008, 09:15 AM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If you get an 05 w/a 3.8 engine, they are quite reliable. They also handle very well in the snow. I think the only strike against the monte is it has a poor resale value. Other than that it is a very solid reliable car.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:17 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

We just bought an '03 SS w/3.8 under the hood.

This car handles incredible. I'm impressed with it.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:24 PM

Montes have a low resale value because they were rental fleet cars. Shame too as they are great well built cars. Bonus to you as you can own a great car cheap

Old 05-27-2008, 05:56 PM

ORIGINAL: Cowboy6622
just don't get the 3.4.... they're intake manifold gasket tends to leak. but overall, you ahve to take care of anything to get it to last.
Ah thats rough most of the ones in my price range were the 3.4L, but better to know that ahead of time i guess!

Old 05-27-2008, 06:15 PM

They have a low resale value because nobody wants a big two door coupe anymore...lol. Make the investment and get the 3800, you won't be disappointed.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:31 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2009

I have a 2006 and it's great, I got mine for $16000 and it's been great, As long as you maintain your car as routine you will not have any problems, Plus my Powertrain warranty is 100,000 miles. Used is the best way to go, I got mine with 20,000 miles and it was everything I wanted, I got the race looking spoiler, fog lights, 3.9 engine and it's fun driving from arizona to las vegas or any trips. I just cruise alot. The only thing I wish I could of gotten the v-8 ss because of the horespower but with todays gas my 3.9 engine will go a full week on gas. I don't even use a full tank to get to Las Vegas, the mpg are superb. I waited a year and a half to get mine, when I looked at a new monte they were $20,000 starting and a ss was over $25,000 at the time with out taxes yet, I didn't want a high payment so I waited saw mine and and sved 5,000 to 10,000 dollars. They are fun plenty of room for passengers and the trunk has plenty of space. I feel better in a mid size car the a small car for safety. Look around in your area and one will come along for you. I have no pronlems with my o6 at 45,000 miles, It's running strong and fun in the TRIPLE DIGIT TEMPERATURES.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: General Monte Carlo Question(s)