General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

A few general questions about the 3500

Old 03-11-2009, 10:33 PM
Default A few general questions about the 3500

Ok first off i am fixing to buy an 01 trans am with the ls1 in it so i do not need my monte super fast as i will have the trans am for that. But i would like my monte to be just a little faster than normal street cars.

so far I have a custom cai but i do not have a pcm tray. Anybody know where I can get one for this car? as of right now i still have the bottom half of the stock airbox in the car holding all the computer stuff..

I have the magnaflow cat-back kit, exhaust wrap on the headers which was probably a complete waste of time.. I also have a custom tune but it seams like weekly im having to go have it redownloaded back to the car.

Okay obviously ill have to get a new tune done if i make any serious changes but does anybody have any ideas as to what i can do to get a little more out of it? Im considering a high flow cat.. But thats all i can think of. Im not gonna put anymore than an additional grand in it as, like i said before, the trans am will be my speed ride. Im just tired of havin 4 door altimas out run me and stuff like that.

If anyone is not familiar with the motor i can take pics and post them if need be.

Oh one more thing.. Im considering the eibach lowering kit but would that affect my
exhaust??? I have it completly welded in.

BTW i tried to make this as readable as possible.. as i reread it multiple time so if you do have trouble reading it just call me an idiot.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:09 AM

lol we wont call u an idiot...you should not have any problems with the exhaust when u lower the car as long as u lower both the front and back equally. when u say u have to keep reprogramming ur tune to the pcm is it because the tune is being tweaked more or because it is reverting back to the original file (which i did not think was possible)? as for your custom cai, i am assuming that u dont have a heat shield considering that the stock airbox is still partially in. make yourself a heat shield and include a place for the pcm in your heatshield

Old 03-12-2009, 06:20 AM

BTW i tried to make this as readable as possible.. as i reread it multiple time so if you do have trouble reading it just call me an idiot.
Damn, i really hope we're not making people scared to post up in here.
Your post was very coherent and all of your questions were completely logical.

exhaust wrap on the headers which was probably a complete waste of time..
I dont think that was a waste of time. Lots of people do things like this.
A lot of aftermarket exhaust pieces come ceramic coated, which works kinda like header wrap, but looks more like paint (sorta...not really though).
Wrapping the exhaust in the engine bay is great for keeping the temperature down inside the engine bay.

As far as the PCM trays, I would imagine that all of the '06 and up PCM's are the same, so you should theoretically be able to use a tray that would be made for the 3900 engine.
I'm not familiar with the 3500 and 3900 engines, but they should be laid out pretty similarly. They have much more in common than the 3.4l and 3.8l engines that came in the '00-05 montes did.

This place does work on the 3500 engines. http://www.milzymotorsports.com/

There aren't too many places around that do, and there aren't that many products out there specifically for that engine unfortunately.
If I were you I would email that place and see what they can tell you.
May be a good place to start, and he probably knows some stuff that's available for your car.

Do you happen to know why you have to keep reloading your tune file?
That sounds kinda weird, and I'd look into that if I were you. Hopefully the PCM itself isn't bad.

Good luck with your search. Update this board if you find anything good.
People are looking for upgrades for the 3500 pretty regularly, but unfortunately for you guys there isn't much out there.

-Riggs.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:32 AM

I do have a heat shield. Its made out of aluminum. when i did the cai a just removed the top half of the factory air box and the rubber ridged tubing. I still use the factory maf. I emailed milzy a few days ago.. still waitin on a response. As far as the pcm tray can someone post a link to one i can buy? 3500, 3900, 3800, it doesnt matter. It can be that expensive ill just try one and see.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:14 AM

http://www.wbodystore.com/grandprix/pcm-tray-p-151.html

This is a PCM tray for the '97-'03 Grand Prix. The '00-'05 Monte uses the same PCM.
I'm pretty sure that the '06-'07 got an updated PCM style, but I guess that if it's not bigger than that tray then you could still strap it in place.

-Riggs.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:29 PM

I would be to worried about the high flow cat. Not unles your spooling the crap out of it with a tweaked super charger or a turbo with monster boost. Header wrap is not a waste of time. Heat is a performance killer. If you can get only cold air coming into the intake then you will pick up a little, but that means the tube has to remain cold as well, hence the header wrap. Dig up a cooler thermostat, you might have to do some measuring and find one to fit by going through some boxes. See if you can dig up a hotter spark plug for it. Hotter plug with the colder denser air will pick up a little.