General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Do you have a Garage @ Home to Work on your Monte ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 12:34 PM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Do you have a Garage @ Home to Work on your Monte ?

[align=center][/align][align=center][:-]
Member's do you have a home garage
to work on your Monte Carlo ?
[/align]
[align=center]What basictools to your recommend to buy first ?[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Pictures of your garage setup is a plus : )[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Thanks `Space[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][:-]

Automotive Tools for the home garage[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]You can save hundreds of dollars onrepai fees every year by [/align][align=center]carrying out minor servicing and maintenance jobs on your car yourself. Armed with a selection of widely available automotive tools, a garage manual for your car, and enough time and patience to get a job done properly, pretty much anyone can carry out the routine tasks needed to keep your car on the road and running smoothly.

One of the most satisfying aspects of carrying out maintenance tasks on your vehicle – aside from saving money on expensive garage bills – is that you are able to get an understanding of how the car works, and the more you understand about the vehicle, the easier it is to put things right in the event of a breakdown.

Any home garage requires a good selection of
automotive tools to carry out work on a car. Some vehicles from certain manufacturers have non standard machining and sizes used throughout their construction, and you will need to get automotive specialty tools designed for the purpose of working on that particular car from a motor store. No home workshop is complete without a trolley jack and axle stands to allow you to get under the car and do things like oil changes and exhaust checks.

For most small jobs, such as changing the oil or replacing filters, changing the spark plugs and brake pads on your vehicle, general tools such as a wrench and a screwdriver are all that is required, and these are widely available in most hardware stores. It is a good idea to keep your
automotive tools separate from other tools you may have, because if you begin a job and then discover that the tool you want to use is missing, it can cause major headaches.[/align][align=center][color=#000000]

Twenty years ago, cars were much simpler to maintain and understand than they are today. Computerised engine management systems and adjustable fuel injectors are now commonplace, and special automotive diagnostic tools are required in order to make adjustments to the engine timing and fuel air mix, whereas in the past, these jobs could be done quite simply.

Areas of the car that almost anyone can handle the regular maintenance of are the interior and exterior panels. Simple scratches and dents to the bodywork are easy to repair using a soft mallet for panel beating and abrasive paper, spray paint

Old 03-15-2008, 01:52 PM
Default RE: Do you have a Garage @ Home to Work on your Monte ?

me and my dad redid our entire garage last spring break. and this is were i am going to be adding all my goodies this spring break

these are the only pics that i have of the garage
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...o/DSCN4176.jpg
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...o/DSCN4177.jpg
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...o/DSCN4178.jpg

Old 03-15-2008, 04:47 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

We have the mother of all garages at home. It is a 4 bay garage.One bay is open, one bay has a 4 post hydraulic lift, one has a smallwash/storage room, a workbench, a furnace, 80 gallon air compressor and fridge and the last bay is a secret =) but is a very useful thing to have when you build/work on cars. There is an upstairs loft that we use for storage. We have mechanics tools, a sand blaster, drill press, air tools, autobody tools and supplies, jacks, stands, two migweldersect. Pretty much everything you need to build a car from the ground up. It is all finished with drywall and painted. The outside is done up with barn red steel siding and grey shingles. The thing is pretty massive and looks nice sitting in the back yard. It is so useful. We built it in the summer and finished it up inside in the fall. My dad has used to it work on some friends cars and we currently have our 69 chevelle project in there he is working on. Ive used it to change my oil and I used it to put my fog lights in.

Old 03-15-2008, 06:45 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Four of my'57s set in the right side of the barn along with CJ and one of my daily drivers.

And Carlo my '86 LS sets in the garage at my g/f's house along side her '81 SC and two of my '57s.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:35 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Ya, We got a garage, and it's a mess! I got the basics for tools, and a decent air compressor. I won't show a pic of the mess, but here's a pic. Above and to the left of the rear entrance door, you can see LadyT's disco ball hanging. This was taken a year or two ago, before the grille insert, and before the LadyT's Solstice GXP, "Lucy", which now is parked where "Ethyl" is shown in this pic.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:52 PM

yep i have one. shame i cant use it to much thanks to the wife and kids thinking it is a damed storage shed.

but i can fit the monte in there now :-)
her car sits out side lol (but they didnt do 6500.00 worth of damage to hers)

But as far as tools go

here is what i would recomend for the avrage person trying to start out.
1.tool box (biggest you can affored to buy)
2.air compressor (agian the biggest you can buy)
3. broom and dust pan
Tools for the box.
1. wrench set in both metric and standard
2. sockets deep wall and shallow bothe mtric and standard.
3. a good set of screw drivers phillips and standard.
4. hack saw or cut off wheel and or both
5. impact wrench (sockets for it in both also)
5. LIGHTS!!!!!! in every correner you can get one to stay in with out stopping the doors from opening. (I wired mine on to two switches at the last house so i didnt have to have them all on all the time)

Jack stands
Jack
creeper
extenbabel magnet
BANDAIDS!!! (best ones are ELMO)

but you get the just of the idea just start building abasic set
ALSO DO NOT FOR GET THE "C" CLAMPS!! (work for brakes)

Also a good shop vac is a needed frend for inside the car if for no other reason.

Also to any one looking for tools
two things
1. watch the ads aroudn the fathers day and christmass holidays
watch the sears adds exspecially, they run specials every year at this time and have some great deals.
2. Go to gradge sales and look for tools that ahve crafstman and also snap on etc.. on them. the high end tools will get mixed up sometimes and you can get some great deals. and then you take them back to sears (for craftsmen) and get them replaced with the new toys LOL

snap on and matco and even cornwell are all good brands but if you dont need something to work with daily you are just paying the name not for the home worker in my opion.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:14 PM

I've got a two-car garage, and only basic tools. I'm not much of a mechanic, so anything other than just the basics would be a waste for me. We owned three cars for a while several years ago, and it really bugged me that one of them had to sit out in the elements 24-7 (and it was black, so a real PITA).

Old 03-15-2008, 09:20 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

we have a garage and a carport with a 1950 Chevy truck in it.... but the garage is an old 20' container that my dad put out here to keep tools in. he used to be a mechanic for Ford Motor Company at Cavalier Ford. he's got a TON of tools. i don't feel like tryign to remember and type them all though... it would take way too long and i would miss a ton of stuff.

Old 03-16-2008, 05:43 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hi Member's,
Thanks for posting your information on your garage.
WoW `Luke,you & your father have a`Dream Garage
4-Sure. You are a lucky man. It's beautiful, & of course
the Hot Rod's add to the content of the beauty : )
I would live in that garage `if I had `it.
EnJoy
yours, I would fix up the loft & live there.
It would be `super to wake `up & see my
Awesome Monte SS sitting there : )
`2 dare 2 dream : )
Thanks for posting.
progress on all your awesome rides. Thanks
them to rest & increase in value.
I envy your collection, but I'm happy for you.
Thanks for your post, and for sharing your collection.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:06 AM

i have a garage and it's 50x24 and its two story's i have 3 bay's one is enclosed for the monte and the two otherare together for work i have a oil furnace i have a 60 gal. air compressor plumed allover the shop i have lots of hand tools a couple of floor jacks,drill press,arc welder,mig welder,a set of tortches ,grinders ,300 amp charger,air tools, auto body tools ,sand blaster ,pretty much everything i need

Quick Reply: Do you have a Garage @ Home to Work on your Monte ?