General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Difference between SS and LS.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 07:35 PM
Default Difference between SS and LS.

I'm looking into buying a 01-05 Monte Carlo. Really looking towards the SS but Im not really sure of the difference.

What I know:
SS has a spoiler
and a more powerful engine. ANything else?

Old 10-03-2007, 07:41 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: Difference between SS and LS.

the 3.4 isn't the same quality of an engine as the SS. the LS had problems with the intake manifold gasket, and i've heard of some otehr things but i can't remember what they are. there is virtually no after market on the 3.4. the trim packages are different. the monte carlo SS says Monte Carlo SS or Supercharged SS on teh side, of its a Dale Earnahrdt edition it says "Intimidator SS" on the side. the SS has a little bit better interior. it has a 140 speedometer instead of the 120, and a few extra guages which look pretty cool. i think they have better rims, but thats just me. they also have duel mufflers, but not dual tips. if you get a ground effects package only available on the SS, they have this nice galaxy silver metallic strip around the bottom ,a different rear bumper, and chrome tips. the SS usually has a sunroof, while several of the LS don't. personally, i have hte SS, and although the ratings are only 20 hp are apart, the SS feels a TON Faster than the LS. if you don't believe me, drive a sample of both. some say the SS gets better mielage becasue the 3.4 just isn't enoguh engine to pull these 3500 lbs cars, but i don't know because i've never had hte LS. hope this helps, i'm sure others can give you more details.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:31 PM

The 3.4's are not troublesome or at least I never had a problem out of my 2000. The 3.8 is a pretty much "bullet-proof" motor though.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:49 PM

when i was looking for my car i tested both aLS andSS and IMO the SS was alot better to me because of the leather seats (i dont know if the LS comes with leather)
also i think the SS comes with better suspension and all wheel disk brakes
once again not sure though
And also i have heard of gasketproblems on the 3.4
and the 3.8 has been around forever and is a great engine

Old 10-04-2007, 06:26 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

2000 black ss is right, i forgot to mention the difference in suspension. some LS' have leather seats, but not all. i've actually seen a couple of SS' that didn't have leather.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:21 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Avoid the 3.4 litre engines like the plague! I cannot stress this enough!
They have a horrible recurring problem with the lower intake manifold gaskets failing. I had to replace it twice in a matter of five years on my Grand Am GT. At $1200 each time, it's something to keep in mind. As for not being many complaints:
The 3.4 engine was also available in the 99 up Grand Am's, Alero's, Ventures, and Transports just to name a few. You can check some of the grand am message boards, there are tons of complaints about this engine.

A Monte with a 3.8 is more expensive to purchase, but it's a better and more reliable engine. Just my $2400 opinion.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:37 PM

The 3.4 does get better gas milage by 2mpg. I would avoid them as well as the LIM gasket issues unless you can replace them yourself.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:51 PM

The 3400 has been reliable for me... I have an LS myself.

pro's? Cheaper, better gas milage, consmetically pretty much the same car.

con's? Engine. You dont have the power of that 3.8! Trust me, theres a reason why people like me put a SS engine on our LS packages. The trims, and all that, out the window. if you want to make your car stand out, it doesnt matter. I plan on racing seats, and a body kit. everything the factory puts in, I take out. but, believe me, the 3.8 is worth the extra power if you ever want to MAKE SURE your a little faster than the other guy at the stoplight.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:24 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hey vita... If you're thinkin of gettin rid of your factory ground effects, talk to 04MonteSS. His were removed by the original owner and tossed. He's lookin for a set to replace his missing ones.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:32 PM

well 3400s arent the devil, but i'd rather have a 3800. the lower intakes are a problem, but the improved gaskets seem to be making a hemoraging 3400 much more rare than a few years ago. $1200 is as high as i've heard on doing the intake, our stealership does it for about $1k, but if you do it yourself it'll run ya around $100. the 3400 is the reason i bought my monte actually, it was in need of the lower intake as well as other things, making it a dirt cheap car for someone who was ready to do the work.

i'm surprised noone has said anything of the series2 3.8 upper intake gasket and plennum. replacing just the gasket isnt too big ofa deal, but if the plennum is burned through that starts adding on to your bill fast. and for those foolish enough to let these go, engines can hydrolock and bend a rod.

i've heard mileage and emissions are the reasons that gm has gone away from the 3800 in favor of the 3400/3500/3900 designs.

Quick Reply: Difference between SS and LS.