General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Did I bust my parking brake?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 12:33 AM
Default Did I bust my parking brake?

I used my parking brake for the first time in a while because I was parked on a slope. I pushed the pedal down, it clicked into place and everything was good, or so i thought. I return 5 minutes later. I start the car, step on the parking brake pedal expecting it to make that ratcheting noise and click back into place, but it didnt! I kept pressing it and it was stuck down, it would not spring back up and unlock itself. I drove a few blocks back home, with thealarm blaring.I dont know if the brake was still locked or what, i was able to drive around fine and get back. I was later able to lift the pedal back in the upright position with my shoe, and just kinda flimsily stayed in place, it did not click or make that ratcheting sound it normally does. So did something break in the pedal or something? Is there a chance that the break is still locked and i can do more damage to the car driving around with the break locked up? Has this happened to anyone else?

Old 10-04-2008, 06:25 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: Did I bust my parking brake?

sounds to me like you broke the linkage to the e-brake. i don't know much about how tehy work but i do believe the use parts of the regular braking system to hold the rear wheels. i'd think you would have bruned your rear brake pads up if you drove it locked down and woudl ahve smelled it when you got where you're going.