General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Dead battery after a long cruise today....

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 09:57 PM
Default Dead battery after a long cruise today....

Not too sure what happened today, but I had my SS out for the first time this year on a long cruise with my corvette buddies... About half way through the cruise we pulled over for a break, so the car was off for about 5 minutes, came back, it started but sounded a little "off", kept going and arrived at Hooters for lunch. Got back in the car, started fine and I drove home. Parked it in the driveway and came back out about 15 mins later and she was dead. I had a spare battery in the garage which was fully charged so I jumped it and it started right away. Let it run for a few minutes, tried again and it was dead.

So, off to the dealer in a few days for a new battery. I hope its that simple!
Its weird, I had the car on a battery tender all winter long and I would go and start it up every so often without a problem. I did install the K+N intake on Friday, but she started up fine after that too..

Jason

Old 03-26-2007, 12:03 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: Dead battery after a long cruise today....

If the car is draining a charged battery that fast, then I'd say there definately a draw someplace?

My first thought is the alternator isn't charging?

Old 03-26-2007, 12:30 PM

Battteries that come in a car are stock batteries, not top of the line type.
First off you dont know how long they have been setting around for.
For that matter you dont know how long the car its self was setting before you purchased the car.
Plus the car its self has been sitting since purchased as well.
Keep in mind when the car sits not running, things like the computers, radio and such are still pullinga draw from the battery.

Most likely you will find that the battery is failing. If the car is under a year old they should replace the battery, over a year most likely will be pro-rated.

The reason why the car sounded off key is with that battery is because it is low on amps. The alternator can be putting out the amps, but if the battery has one or more cells going bad it will not charge up.

Old 03-26-2007, 01:16 PM

[:-]Below shows how 2 find date of battery [:-]
The two most crucial factors in choosing a battery are its "group size" and "cold-cranking amps."

The time to think about buying a new auto battery is before the old one fails. Photo: Digital Vision

The time to think about buying a new auto battery is before the old one fails. Once you're stranded by a dead battery, you probably won't want to spend time shopping around for another. At the first sign that your current battery is growing weaker, have a garage perform a "load test" to see if it's holding a charge properly. If it isn't, find a new battery.
All car batteries aren't created equal. A battery's size, rated capacity, and age help determine how it will perform.

WHAT'S AVAILABLE
Most auto batteries are made by just three manufacturers, Delphi, Exide, and Johnson Controls Industries. Each makes batteries sold under several different brand names. Delphi makes ACDelco and some EverStart (Wal-Mart) models. Exide makes Champion, Exide, Napa, and some EverStart batteries. Johnson Controls makes Diehard (Sears), Duralast (AutoZone), Interstate, Kirkland (Costco), Motorcraft (Ford), and some EverStarts.
Service centers such as Firestone, Goodyear, Pep Boys, and Sears tend to have a large, fresh inventory and relatively low prices. They also handle installation. Stores such as Kmart, Target, Trak Auto, and Wal-Mart may have the lowest prices, but not all of them can install a battery for you. Installing a battery yourself is not technically difficult, but it can be cumbersome, and you have to dispose of the old battery properly. Service stations and tune-up shops sell batteries as well, and they offer convenient and comprehensive service, but their selection tends to be limited and their stock may not be fresh. For cars and trucks still under warranty, a franchised dealer is your first choice, particularly if the vehicle warranty covers the battery. For older vehicles, though, a dealership is probably the last resort—it's the most expensive service venue. The two most crucial factors in choosing a battery are its "group size" and "cold-cranking amps," or CCA.
Group Size. A group size defines the battery's outside dimensions and the placement of the terminals on them. For instance, group size 75 fits mainly General Motors cars. Size 65 applies to most large Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury products. Newer Hondas, Nissans, and Toyotas use size 35. Most Chryslers use 34. You'll also see combinations like 34/78, which has two sets of terminals and will fit either Chryslers or some GM models. Choose the group size recommended by your car's manufacturer. (Reference guides at battery retailers can tell you which group size your car needs.) The wrong size might not fit securely.
Cold-cranking amps. CCA is a measure of a battery's ability to start a car in cold weather, when thickened engine oil and slowed chemical reactions make starting hardest. CCAs denote how much current the battery can deliver to the starter at 0° F. Don't confuse CCA with CA, which stands for cranking amps. That's a measure taken at 32° instead of 0° and is typically much higher than the CCA rating.

Key considerations
[b]Reserve capacity is another important measure of battery quality. It indicates how many minutes your car might run using the battery alone, should the car's alternator fail. You may have to check product literature rather than the battery's labeling to

Old 03-26-2007, 04:11 PM

dead cell(s) in the battery... exact same thing happened to me about 7 months after buying the car... once jumped, it ran fine - I drove mine to the dealer... let it sit for a couple minutes and it's dead.

they'll give you a new one... should be an AC Delco Professional Series with 720cca... I forget the exact part/model number... 85H7YR or something like that I think...

Old 03-27-2007, 01:21 AM

Sounds like a "bad cell" in the battery. They shouldn't give you too much grief over a new one I wouldn't think.

Old 03-27-2007, 09:59 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

the part # would be 75-7yr ac delco part #'s for batteries are really easy..its just the series of the battery, followed by the warranty

take it back it will be covered under warranty

Old 03-27-2007, 02:29 PM

Its in the shop right now getting the AC Delco professional battery as well as the recall power steering line done. I asked them to give me all the current TCM/ECM/BCM updates.