General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

bubbly recovery tank.. uh oh?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 02:21 PM
Default bubbly recovery tank.. uh oh?

i'm a new member here but i've been driving my 04 dale jr edition monte ss for about 8k miles and 6 or so months with no problems.. never owned one before but aside from some minor electrical problems this thing runs like a damn CHAMP!

but today i got my dexcool flushed at jiffy lube and when i got home to inspect their work (because it was jiffy lube...) i opened the recovery tank cap to notice little bubbles.. i don't want to cry wolf too soon because it may just be purging some air through the system but it seems a little too consistent for that and i'm worried it may be a leaking HG. the car has 44k miles but is out of warranty and i just swapped head gaskets on a northstar and dunno if i'm up for another round of those

is this something to worry about? like.. should i sell it and let the next guy deal with it? it's got brand new dexcool.. that's gotta be worth something
but the car doesn't show any other signs of hg failure.. i don't lose coolant, over heat, spew white clouds out the exaust, or anything else of that nature. am i fretting for nothing? how long do i have to run this coolant before i go get it tested for combustion byproducts? your input would be appreciated.. thank you in advance

Old 04-04-2009, 03:17 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm guessing they didn't purge the ait from the thermostat housing. There is a purge valve, plug, or something on there to get the air out. It MUST be done when the fluid level goes down, such as a flush.