General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Brakes. Need rotors and pads.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 10:25 PM
Default Brakes. Need rotors and pads.

So what do you guys think? Need so ideas. I have a 2001 monte ss with 56k. My rear left rotor and pad are bad, the rest are ok for now, but I figure I might as well replace them all since its around that time to do so anyway. Whats the best way to go,the more I research the more I get confused. Drilled rotors, slotted, ceramic pads, semi-metalic etc... all seem to have pros and cons. Obviously I want to get a quality product for as little as possable. I'd like to stay around $300 for all 4 rotors and pads for the whole car. I've see a lot about Hawks andBrembos, but what have you guys gotten or used and or recommended? Ever try any of the products on ebay? They have rotors and pads for $200 and less.
Thanks

Old 08-18-2008, 10:15 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: Brakes. Need rotors and pads.

i don't know if i'd do teh ebay stuff. if your left rear pad is worn out considerably more than the right rear, you got a problem somewhere. i wrote a review on here somewhere about Akebona Street Performance pads. I LOVE THEM!!! I only did the front, but my rear pads dust more than my fronts now, they are brillliant!!! I thought alot about those drilled and slotted rotors, but I think ti's really marketing hype. If they were so great, NASCAR would probably use them. They use solid rotors becasue they give you more brake pad contact, drilled rotors take away contact. Look on tirerack.com for brakes, you can read reviews of everything there.

I recommed ceramic pads. The others are harder on your rotors.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:35 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have the solid rotors on mine. I've heard that the slotted rotors are all hype for the simple reason that the brake dust tends to fill up the slots anyway. I've been told that if you're running a high performance vehicle, then drilled rotors will help keep them cool. But I've also heard from others that drilling and slotting weakens the rotors, and they warp. So the info is kinda contradictory in my opinion.

My opinion, if your car is simply a daily driver, don't worry about the expensive drilled or slotted rotors. Save yourself some money and go with the solid rotors.

I wouldn't do the ebay thing either. I like ceramic pads also.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:32 PM

Thanks. Do you have any suggestions on any good websites to buy. I've checked 3800performance.com, but seem to be a little pricey I think, and I was also a little skeptical of the ebay packages as well. Thanks for all the help.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:26 PM

for the extra $10/rotor.. I'd go with the PowerslotS

Old 08-18-2008, 08:43 PM

Powerslot rotors and Hawk pads? I hear a lot of people using ceramic, but I've been told that semi-metallic are better overall. Is it really just a matter of opinion, and or am I just looking to much into it.
Thanks

Old 08-18-2008, 09:11 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

i'vealways said you can't look into it far enough. but if you want my opnion, akebono is a great product. great reviews on all there stuff. id' definitly recommend going to www.tirerack.com and reading reviews. i know the site is mainly tires ,but tehy do suspension parts, brakes, and that kind of crap too.