General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Blind Spot Nearly Gets Me T-Boned!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 01:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Blind Spot Nearly Gets Me T-Boned!

That blind spot is going to cause me to get blasted one of these days. I almost got T-Boned, today. Thankfully the road was dry and the other guy was able to stop before cleaning-out my passenger side.

There is a funny-kind of "Look-back" intersection just before getting to my street. I glanced out the window and pulled away from the Stop Sign ... only to hear the horns and screeching brakes of some guy coming the other way. I stopped; but maybe I should have kept going ... anyway ... his grill was about the only thing I could see out the passenger window after all the noise stopped and the dust cleared.

I never saw him coming. He was probably going too fast; but managed to bring his SUV to a Ant-Lock Stop before doing any damage. My heart was in my throat. All I could see was that Dodge Ram Grill Emblem out my window. Another few inches and I'm in a wreck.

I have to figure something out. Maybe a small wide-angle mirror stuck to the passenger side mirror will help a little bit. At least you'd see motion; I guess?

Old 03-13-2008, 01:24 PM
Default RE: Blind Spot Nearly Gets Me T-Boned!

[align=center]Hi Rick, Glad you are `ok.[/align][align=center]Below is on read blind spots with side mirror's[/align][align=center]Try the below, it works for me. Hope it helps [/align][align=center]member's.[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]Your Rearview Mirrors Blind Spot-Proof
[/align][align=center]By Mike Allen[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Illustration by Golden Section Graphics[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Published in the December 2007 issue.

Q: Can you resolve a long-standing disagreement I have with my father about rearview mirrors? He insists on adjusting them so that he can see only his own rear fenders in the outside mirrors. I like to set them so I can just see the edge, not with the whole fender filling half of the mirror.

A: I had a long chat over dinner with an engineer from a major auto company a couple of years back about this very subject. In addition to being an engineer, this guy holds a Ph.D. in psychology, specializing in human factors and ergonomics. And we both agreed that people often don’t adjust their rearview mirrors correctly. The interior mirror should be set to see straight back along the road, as most people do. But most drivers set the mirrors mounted on the doors to duplicate this view. The engineer suggested that the proper use of these mirrors is to let you visualize the blind spots flanking your car, not to see straight back.

Here’s his procedure for adjusting the mirrors, and it’s what I have always done myself.

Adjust the driver’s seat to the correct position. Lean your head and torso over to the left until your head contacts the window glass. I know, that seems too far. But trust me. Now, adjust the left-side mirror outward until you can barely see your own fender in it. Next, lean over to the right a similar distance, and adjust the right-side mirror so you can just see your own rear fender. Sit up straight. Your mirrors are now set to allow you to see other cars in your blind spot. You won’t need to swivel your neck around to be aware of traffic hiding at 60 mph right beside you. And the interior mirror will still let you see the traffic directly behind.
[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I was taught this way & it works great.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]It takes awhile to get use to.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Good Luck, & I wish you many safe miles.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]`Space[/align][/align][/align][/align][/align]

Old 03-13-2008, 01:28 PM

Below are some other sites to check `out.
It could save your `life.
It pays 2 `be safe on your highways of life.
Good Luck 2 `all
[:-]
How to adjust your mirrors | The Web Page of Kristopher Linq...
Unfortunately, some American cars don't let you adjust the mirrors out far enough to completely accomplish this. I recommend experimenting in a parking lot ...
www.linquist.net/motorsports/tech/mirrors/ - 50k - Similar pages
http://www.linquist.net/motorsports/tech/mirrors/
Side Mirror - Proper Adjustment - Club Touareg Forums
Like most folks, I adjust my door mounted view mirrors so I can see a straight back. ... through the rear window to ensure my blind-spot is clear of cars. ...
www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f49/side-mirror-prope... - 34k - Similar pages
http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f4...ent-16386.html
[PDF]S T R E E T S M A R T S
their car and the cars around them before making. lane changes. Help Reduce Crashes:. Adjust Your Car’s Mirrors. Proper mirror adjustment can help eliminate ...
http://www.libertymutual.com/omapps/...ver?cid=107843... - Similar pages
http://www.libertymutual.com/omapps/...id=10784369260

Old 03-13-2008, 04:01 PM

Yep that article Space posted was in Popular Mechanics not too long ago. After reading it for the first time I went out to my car and re-adjusted my mirrors. What a difference! I now have no blind spots whatsoever on my monte. The only thing small enough would be a motorcycle. The only downside to adjusting your mirrors like that is losing the ability to see right behind you using the side mirrors. As long as you have a rear view though it shouldn't matter.

Old 03-13-2008, 04:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The incident happened at an awkward intersection ... where you need to be able to look precisely where the too-wide-of-a C-Pillar is. I couldn't get a look at traffic approaching from a tangent. Not to my rear or directly from a side ... but, from the direction obliterated by the wide space at the back of the little window.

You just have to be able to see that area sometimes and no adjusting of mirrors is going to help.
Thanks for the tutorial ... but, I'm pretty sure I know how to adjust my mirrors after a 45 years of driving!

He came from where a mirror isn't going to let you see enough of the road, anyway!
It's a blind area that's obscured by trees and foliage and a bend in the road.
It's posted 25 MPH !
He was going to fast in his Land Yacht!

Old 03-13-2008, 04:57 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008

Glad you that Ram didn't get any closer Rick. That's the only thing I don't like about my baby - that widespace at the back ofthe little window. Seems like a lot of the newer vehicles have bigger blind spots. In our Dodge truck cars can hide behind thebrace where the windshield and the door meet, have to be real careful leaving a stop sign because of that.

Old 03-13-2008, 05:17 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

i know what you mean.. surprised the government laws don't prevent blind spots that big. i do'nt know about having hte rear view mirrors set like 'Space says.. I have no doubt it would work, but I just don't think I could do it. I honestly learned to drive at about age 12 while riding with my dad in an 18 wheeler.. i learned to drive with side mirrors, not hte rear view. i very rarelly use that mirror. i do'nt know if i could drive like that or not.