General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

which is better?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 04:47 PM
Default which is better?

straight up... which is better... shell? or sunoco?

Old 02-05-2009, 07:17 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: which is better?

I prefer Sunoco over Shell. I've been using Sunoco Ultra for years. Which, here in Canada, is 94 octane.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:55 PM

There is no difference. The crude arrives via Supertanker. Refineries send what it produces via pipelines and tank trucks to storage facilities. Tank trucks owned by Oil Companies fill-up and deliver the product to Filling Stations. The Filling Stations have different names and designs. The stuff in the ground that makes your car go is the same stuff not matter where you go.
Check that. >>Essentially the same. Gasoline. Was once Crude Oil. Made into Gasoline. Madison Avenue takes over from there!

Old 02-05-2009, 10:03 PM

ORIGINAL: RickCoMatic
There is no difference. The crude arrives via Supertanker. Refineries send what it produces via pipelines and tank trucks to storage facilities. Tank trucks owned by Oil Companies fill-up and deliver the product to Filling Stations. The Filling Stations have different names and designs. The stuff in the ground that makes your car go is the same stuff not matter where you go.
Check that. >>Essentially the same. Gasoline. Was once Crude Oil. Made into Gasoline. Madison Avenue takes over from there!
could not have said it better rick! even if there was a difference, both are reputable stations that will keep your car running healthy. neither will give your car 'more power'

Old 02-06-2009, 06:56 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member

Shell has no 94 octane, which is the only thing the BudChev drinks

Old 02-06-2009, 08:38 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

whichever is cheaper :P

I know all gas is essentially the same, but I have gone to about 5 different shell stations, and after each visit my engine is not a happy camper and my MPG is crap. But I usually never have an issue with Sunoco.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:42 AM

ORIGINAL: LARZ313

straight up... which is better... shell? or sunoco?
Hi `Derek,
I have used both, in both ofmy Monte`s, &also
inour BeachBum Honda Accord, plus my g/father`s GM van.
They both performed equal, and I think `Rick hit the nail on
the head with his knowledge post.
I get to know the manager of the station that I buy `gas,
and always try to buy when their inground tanks are close to filled, to avoid getting gas from the botten of their tanks.
Also, I have read it is better to purchase your fuel in the morning
to get a true gallon that has not condensed from the heat of the day.
Below are some links that you, or members may want to check out
to learn what others think.
Thanks for your post and being a active member on the MCF.
`Space
Your homework assignment `if you choose to accept is to
read the below and give us a report on your findings lol
[:-]
Gas Comparison (Sunoco, Petrol-Canada, Shell) [Archive ...
I changed gas from Sunoco to Shell and when I disassembled the engine @ 170000 km there were .... What do you think makes Sunoco gas better? ...
www.redflagdeals.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-... - 44k - Similar pages
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/a.../t-141675.html
Can discount gas crimp your ride? - USATODAY.com
Chevron Petro Canada Shell Canada Sunoco Canada Source: General Motors .... Is cheaper gas better? Rising prices are shown on signs at two Chicago stations ...
www.usatoday.com/money/industries/energy/2007-06... - 73k - Similar pages
http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...gas-usat_N.htm
Buy Gas From Sunoco and Shell « Over Here
7 Responses to 'Buy Gas From Sunoco and Shell' ... Far better to buy a Toyota which has 10 US factories and is building more. ...
alankeister.wordpress.com/2008/03/24/buy-gas-fro... - 26k - Similar pages
http://alankeister.wordpress.com/200...oco-and-shell/
Which gas company's gas is better? (i.e. Esso, Shell, Su...
Which gas company's gas is better? (ie Esso, Shell, Sunoco, PetroCanada,...) Thank you.?
answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070325154... - 41k - Similar pages
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...5154621AAXZWJm
Fuel Qualitiies - Chevron - Arco - Sunoco - Shell
Shell Chevron Arco Sunoco ....and others? I buy gas from VONS .... says that gas comes from the same pipe, but Shell and Chevron have better ...
priuschat.com/forums/prius-main-forum/4119-fuel-... - 98k - Similar pages
http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-ma...oco-shell.html
Best Gas? Shell, Bp, Exxon, Chevron? - Lexus Owners Club (US...
So I would rate this gas as my preference over Shell, BP, Marathon, 76, Clark etc. .... I've observed better mileage with Sunoco Ultra 93. ...
us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopi... - 111k - Similar pages
http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...howtopic=46553
Gas - Sunoco vs. Shell - DodgeForum.com Mod Wiz PleaseRead [:-]LOL
Gas - Sunoco vs. Shell Off Topic. ... I use Sunoco, but a guy i know said that Sell is better. So i'm trying it. I have it in the truck, ...
dodgeforum.com/forum/off-topic/104284-gas-sunoco... - 96k - Similar pages
http://dodgeforum.com/forum/off-topi...-vs-shell.html
Sunoco to sue Shell for Harvick sponsorship? at AutoRacingSp...
Shell Sunoco The word through the NASCAR is that Sunoco is still upset ... Yes, they are expected to perform and get better every week to beat the competition. .... Then ask yourself, where are the percentages going to buy their gas? ...
autoracingsport.com/nascar/sunoco-to-sue-shell-f... - 66k - Similar pages
http://autoracingsport.com/nascar/su...k-sponsorship/
which #91 is better? Esso, Shell, Sunoco or Petro Canada? - ...
which #91 is better? Esso, Shell, Sunoco or Petro Canada? ... They basically get the gas from the same refineries and just add their ...
www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2152... - 107k - Similar pages
http://www.passatworld.com/forums/sh....php?p=2152824
Sunoco 94 or Shell V 92.... - IWSTI.com: Subaru WRX STI Foru...
Out of the two times that I have had to use the Shell gas; the car has felt faster with the shell gas. Is the Shell gas better than Sunoco? ...
www.iwsti.com/forums/faq-newbie-forum/77759-suno... - 83k - Similar pages

Old 02-06-2009, 11:34 AM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

We have no Sunoco here. And very few Shell.

The majority are Speeday which used to owned by Marathon. Marathon, Bonded, and Speedway used to be owned by the same group.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:03 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

'Space... the underground temperature where those tanks are stays roughly the same pretty much everywhere, and doesn't change thru the day... so that point doesn't really make sense to me about buying in hte morning.

I have noticed my car runs worse on stations that say "10% ethanol" (atelast, my fuel mileage isn't as good). I fill up at the Kangaroo here at Campbell University and getrougly 1-2more mpgs driving the exact same way everytime. Exxon, Amoco, and I'm thinking Sunoco all have ethanol.. so I try to avoid that. I usually fill up at Hess, Shell, or Kangaroo (which, Kangaroo's tend to be a little cheaper here), and I notice my car runs better on those... I do'nt know what the deal is with Shell where you guys are. I read alot here on hte MCF a while back that you guys didn't like Shell fuels.... I don't know why, but alot of people say the Shell don't like their Monte Carlo.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:18 PM

ORIGINAL: Cowboy6622

'Space... the underground temperature where those tanks are stays roughly the same pretty much everywhere, and doesn't change thru the day... so that point doesn't really make sense to me about buying in hte morning.

`Duane, the majority of what I have learned about cars, life is from the teachings of my grandfather & his many senior citizen friends.
I have seldom found their teachings/wisdoms that they have shared to be false. I shall continue to follow their advise
Below is some information to confirm what I believe.
I have been wrong many times, but I keep learning as I travel
this `journey called human `life.
Peace/Out/Space
Tips For filling Your Gas TankOnly buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the more dense the gasoline, when gasit warmer gasoline expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening....your gallon is not exactly a gallon. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the gasoline, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role. A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode. If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low, middle, and high. In slow mode you should be pumping on low speed, thereby minimizing the vapors that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapor return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapor. Those vapors are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.One of the most important tips is to fill up when your gas tank is HALF FULL. The reason for this is, the more gas you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. Gasoline evaporates faster than you can imagine. Gasoline storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the gas and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation. Unlike service stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is temperature compensated so that every gallon is actually the exact amount.Another reminder, if there is a gasoline truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy gas, DO NOT fill upmost likely the gasoline is being stirred up as the gas is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.
For more infor click the below links
Oct 27, 2006 ... Keeping in mind that the time of day you buy your gas is important ... Before you go out to fuel up, take a second to find the best deal. ...
news.carjunky.com/time-of-day-matters-when-buyin... - 34k - Similar pages

Quick Reply: which is better?