General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Another problem :l smh

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 05:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Another problem :l smh

Ok guys I have yet another problem that needs solving. Saturday afternoon I went over some old railroad tracks and they bent my rim to where I lost almost all of my air within 5 minutes. I changed my 20' rim and tire out for the spare and noticed some vibration in the cabin and steering wheel, I thought it was from the size difference. I get home and put on an impala wheel that I know is good but it still vibrates. Got home from work today and noticed that the exhaust is going the same tempo as the vibration so I dont think suspension damage would cause this. It only vibrates when im on a hill or have the car in drive and not moving. This didnt happen until I bent the rim. What would cause this? It seems wierd that the exhaust pulses (no muffler) come out the same time it vibrates... When I hit the tracks it really wasnt hard and I wasnt speeding its just that it had one of those pin/spikes sticking up and I hit it. I know I need an alignment because it is pulling to the right a little.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:58 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Personally, I'd get the alignment done first and see if maybe the vibration goes away.

What exhaust set up do you have? Is it stock with no mufflers? Completely custom? Etc...

Old 09-26-2011, 10:04 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Taz
Personally, I'd get the alignment done first and see if maybe the vibration goes away.

What exhaust set up do you have? Is it stock with no mufflers? Completely custom? Etc...
Stock DP with resonator and muffler delete. Can I get the alignment without the other rim even though its probably not even due to a different tire. Im thinking of getting rid of the rims all together and if I need that last rim back on my Monte to balance it out then I can wait until I order some stock rims and tires. I just hate the vibration at red lights and the pull it has on these back roads while headed to work.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:42 AM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year

I think that when you bent the rim you may also have caused some of the heat shielding to come into contact with the exhaust. I would check that first. Should be simple to knock it back to where it belongs.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:59 PM

I'd guess that your car is out of alignment, or maybe you ruined a wheel bearing?

Old 09-27-2011, 05:40 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by oneslowmonte
I'd guess that your car is out of alignment, or maybe you ruined a wheel bearing?
Wheel bearing was already bad lol maybe just got a little worse :p. My whole front suspension system was already on the brink before this happened lol. I do have to say that now that I removed the front right rim I no longer hear a loud thumping noise when im backing out of my driveway and I also noticed that there is very little clicking from the axles. Its time to retire the rims because they just arent me... The weight between a stock rim and tire and my 20's are a big difference and 4 of them on my car added a lot of extra weight. Not to mention you feel EVERY bump in the road lol. Maybe it will even help out on mpg, im currently at 21 mpg :p

Old 09-27-2011, 05:41 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by MillerMonteSS
I think that when you bent the rim you may also have caused some of the heat shielding to come into contact with the exhaust. I would check that first. Should be simple to knock it back to where it belongs.
Checked it out and it looked fine so I will wait until I buy some stocks and get an alignment and see if that works. Thanks for the reply by the way!

Old 09-27-2011, 06:44 PM

take a peak at motor mounts too. if ur suspension was shot how good can the mounts be? btw. 26.9 average mpg. when u go with stock wheels take ur foot outta that thing. they can be very fuel efficient if u want it to be. plus they look just as fly going slow lol

Old 09-27-2011, 06:55 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by nickhead
take a peak at motor mounts too. if ur suspension was shot how good can the mounts be? btw. 26.9 average mpg. when u go with stock wheels take ur foot outta that thing. they can be very fuel efficient if u want it to be. plus they look just as fly going slow lol
10/4. I will check out the motor mounts. Ummm What are they? :p 26.9 mpg is the average!!! I do mostly highway driving and im only getting 21, what up with that? I know of some V8 trucks with lift kits that get better gas mileage than me lol, I never go over 3k rpms when driving. I take my time and climb speeds lol.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:00 PM

its gotta be the rims. im sitting stock on my 02 ss. and i get it on it a lil bit but im very mild mannered to and from work. but yea. i'v averaged much higher but with regular driving im usually 26.5-27 today just happened to b 26.9 average

Quick Reply: Another problem :l smh