General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Riderx2

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 09:21 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Riderx2

Hello Everyone. I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong area. I seem to have an issue navigating around the website. I have a few issues with our 2000 SS. There was a small engine fire due to a clogged cat and oil on the engine. But, got that all squared away with new cat, new rear exhaust manifold and the recall valve cover and gasket. Now i have an occasional fast idle issue. On start up it idles usually around 1100 rpm, then settles down to around 650-700 after 30 seconds or so. Not the case lately. It idles around 1200-1400 on start up and doesn't always settle down. So, I cleaned the throttle body and replaced the IAC valve. worked for a day. Now, it wants to idle fast again. Any ideas???? Also, I replaced the low engine oil level sensor since it got melted in the fire. Even when melted, the light never came on. Now with a new sensor the light cycles through the on board message center spuratically. As does the low coolant warning. I have replaced the low coolant sensor twice. And, while I'm at it. ever sense we bought the car. about 4 years ago. If you get on it from a stop, the transmission doesn't connect right away. If you take off easy, there's never a problem. I've heard that and the dash issue could be a related electrical issue??? I now this is a lot all at once. We love the car and want to keep it. So, any help would be much appreciated. Thank you, Jim

Old 10-25-2018, 11:00 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
Question

Originally Posted by riderx2
Hello Everyone. I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong area. I seem to have an issue navigating around the website. I have a few issues with our 2000 SS. There was a small engine fire due to a clogged cat and oil on the engine. But, got that all squared away with new cat, new rear exhaust manifold and the recall valve cover and gasket. Now i have an occasional fast idle issue. On start up it idles usually around 1100 rpm, then settles down to around 650-700 after 30 seconds or so. Not the case lately. It idles around 1200-1400 on start up and doesn't always settle down. So, I cleaned the throttle body and replaced the IAC valve. worked for a day. Now, it wants to idle fast again. Any ideas???? Also, I replaced the low engine oil level sensor since it got melted in the fire. Even when melted, the light never came on. Now with a new sensor the light cycles through the on board message center spuratically. As does the low coolant warning. I have replaced the low coolant sensor twice. And, while I'm at it. ever sense we bought the car. about 4 years ago. If you get on it from a stop, the transmission doesn't connect right away. If you take off easy, there's never a problem. I've heard that and the dash issue could be a related electrical issue??? I now this is a lot all at once. We love the car and want to keep it. So, any help would be much appreciated. Thank you, Jim
Only because you mentioned the fire and you replaced some melted parts, could be the throttle cable is sticking because it is dirty or something melted.
The trans issue? when was the last time you changed trans fluid, 20 to 30K make sure it is Red and not brown. If it is brown get it changed.

Old 10-27-2018, 06:36 AM

It's possible you still have a vacuum leak somewhere . Try spraying all the vacuum lines with carb spray to locate a leak , can also check around the intake gaskets and the air cleaner hose. You also mentioned the cat convertor went out , small chance but the exhaust could have got hot enough to distort the lower intake by the EGR area but that's probably a far stretch. Good luck

Old 10-27-2018, 05:02 PM

I read the post and think its possible that that mass air flow sensor needs looking at . Herman

Old 10-28-2018, 05:05 PM
5 Year Member

Thank you all for your help. I appreciate it. I will check those things out and post my findings.