General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

78 Monte with rare 4Speed V8 on Ebay : )

Old 09-09-2012, 05:50 PM

I think I am going to buy a factory 4 speed '78 in the next few days. I've been researching one and everything looks legit.

VIN states 305 V-8.... build sheet confirms 4 speed manual trans... it's a good looking rust free example with buckets and console. PLUS factory option Hurst shifter.

Here's a pic of the 4 speed setup. I can't show you anymore until I buy it. I don't want to get sniped.

buds
chuck

Old 07-17-2014, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by TheMonteMan
im a little late to the party, but better late than never. the only gbodys ive ever seen with a 4spd in them from the factory were malibus. thats not to say that the montes didnt come with them just that i personally havent seen them, and ive seen some pretty rare 3rd gen montes.

I have personally owned a 80 malibu classic with factory 4 speed. I sold it at age 19 and soon after learned there were only 200 made with that package. (gages, posi, 4speed, etc). When i found that out I wept uncontrollably (albeit very briefly). For years I would drive the streets of the town of the guy that bought it, I would see phantom sightings while driving along, I would follow cars thinking it was it.. but it never was. I even dreamed about that car and trying to get it back. So I know how it feels. Its painful.

Old 07-18-2014, 03:04 PM

yes, by 1980 the 4speed g body (technically still called an A body by GM) were extremely rare, the Monte's were no longer available and the GMC and Chevy ElCamino's were also down to a few hundred 4 speeds. As rare as they are, I hate to say it, they're still not worth a whole lot. My 78 Monte I bought new with 305 and 4 speed, now with 54,000 original miles and show condition... I have the original drivetrain though have a crate ZZ motor & T-10 in place for much imroved performance, only got up to $12K on ebay last winter... I decided to keep it if that's all it's worth. Pretty disappointing, but reality is they're (G bodies) not mainstream collectible muscle and probably never will be, it's all about how much someone likes your car, and the 4 speed doesn't seem to be that important to many buyers. 78 Monte with rare 4Speed V8 on Ebay : )-img_0572.jpg

Old 07-18-2014, 03:35 PM

interior photo of 4 speed in a 78 monte. The Saginaw shifter uses a re-location plate on the side of the gearbox that moves the shifter about 6" toward the dash, not sure what the purpose was. Upon transplanting the saginaw with a 4 speed that could handle the additional torque (a T-10 sourced from a 77 Z28) it became apparent the aftermarket hurst shifter (these cars did not, and did come with a hurst shifter) I bolted to the Super T-10 was not going to poke through the factory trans hole. I had to modify the hole to get it to fit, which ultimately moved the shifter toward the seat 4-6". no big deal, just thought I'd mention it.

Attached Thumbnails 78 Monte with rare 4Speed V8 on Ebay : )-i-phone-photos-094.jpg  
Old 07-28-2014, 08:57 AM

That was supposed to say 78 Monte's never came with a Hurst shifter. I've seen several threads from other websites and on Ebay that their 78 has a factory Hurst shifter... I still have my orignal shifter, not on the car, if anyone wishes to see a photo of it. It's the same that was available on the '78-80 Mailibu and ElCaminos, Grand Prixs and Cutlass.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:40 AM

I didn't even know Montes came with manual trannys. I don't see why anyone would want one in a luxury coupe. Big heavy cars like these aren't much fun with a manual anyway, I'd rather have a small sporty car with a stick then a big old behemoth like a Monte Carlo. Give me an automatic for that.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:33 AM

Oh, your right. What was I thinking? Hey, I just noticed your garage is empty... boyfriend take it in your last catfight?

Old 08-04-2014, 12:29 PM

my buddy once had a 78 malibu....it was a factory 4speed

Old 08-22-2014, 10:44 AM

for the record, '78 Monte's with manual trans weigh < 3100 lbs. Doesn't take much of a HP upgrade to make these "big 'ol behemoths" a pretty satisfying and fun car to drive, either in a straight line or around a corner. Compare the power to wt. ratio of a typical lightly modded aluminum head small block in a 3rd gen to that of most "small sporty cars" and you'll discover that 3rd gen Monte Carlo isn't necessary just a big 'ol luxury cruisers... they're good for that too though. Would also take a close to 2 ton first gen manual trans Monte, if you can find one, over an automatic as well. Just sayin'.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:24 PM

While 78 & up G & A body cars with 4 speeds were a rarity here in the states, they weren't that uncommon in Mexico. You could buy a Monte SS with a factory 4 speed & 185HP 350(yes,350) down there till about '86

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 78 Monte with rare 4Speed V8 on Ebay : )