General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

1999 Monte Carlo Z34

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 09:38 AM
Default 1999 Monte Carlo Z34

Hi all, new to the forum here... I am currently looking into a car to buy, a 1999 Monte Carlo Z34. Just had a few questions for you experts on here....
To be safetied it will require a new windshield as it currently has large crack, approx how much are new windshields for these cars?
This car has 230,000 km on it, it's overall good condition, buying off someone who needed a truck, body is good, no rust, only few bubble spots by the rear tires.... he is asking $1200 for it, just wondering how much life is left in a Monte Carlo with 230,000 km on it? If I get two years outta this then great, basically just a car for myself to and from work, but i'm not experienced with these models and not sure about cost of parts if needed etc..... if something needs a fix, brake etc, will this cost me a fortune or hard to fine because it's a 99 car?

I think $1200 is a decent price for this vehicle, but concerned about cost of windshield and if alot to safety/certified...

Thanks in advance

Old 06-20-2010, 10:53 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2011
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

238K kilometers = 138K Miles which isn't to bad considering the year, the car looks to be taken care of, I have seen a number of 3800 engines with that many miles on them and more so it looks to be a decent DD...One of the biggest concerns would be the transmission, and how it shifts and such, I have seen a number of them needing rebuilds with half as many miles...

I'd say best bet is to bring it to a local mechanic to check it out and if he gives it a clean bill of health go for it....

as for the windshield not really sure, best bet is to price it out at various places before hand to get a good idea.

Best of luck keep us updated!
Joe

Old 06-20-2010, 05:16 PM

thanks, yes I will price some different places tomorrow for a windshield. So a 99 MC with 138,000 miles should give me a few more years? (If taken care of and maintained well).... I just prefer a V6 rather than buying a used little 4 cylinder car with 150+ miles.... but im no expert, thats why Im asking here.... if I go ahead and buy this im looking forward to this forum and learning more about these great cars. Been reading lots of reviews on sites etc and so far very positive!!!

thanks for the reply

Old 06-20-2010, 05:22 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

it seems like a decent deal to me but i most def agree with joe, take it to a mechanic & get everything checked out & get a price quote for a new windshield & all

Old 06-20-2010, 10:39 PM

that's what I would like to do, I even know a mechanic who will look it over for me at no charge.... however the owner said "the car is not plated or insured at the moment, can't risk it on the street without this. Any inspections would have to be at the house". I even offered to get dealer plates to drive to shop, the reply was "Unfortunately that doesn't release my responsibility if the car is in a wreck, since the car is still registered in my name and with no insurance it's too big a risk for me"

I don't know, without knowing first what it needs to be certified and safetied, I'm not just going to fork out $1200 without knowing.....

With dealer plates, can't I drive this to a mechanic still???? Have it looked at?

What you think?

Old 06-20-2010, 10:43 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

hmm i thought you could but idk maybe its different up in canada who knows. there are some things you can look at visually without a mechanic but when it comes to the more serious engine & trans stuff you would have to have a mechanic obviously so idk i wouldn't buy it if you cant get a mechanic to look at it. just seems weird to me that you cant take it to a mechanic to have it checked up on before hand, maybe he's trying to hide something..???

Old 06-21-2010, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by BoNeSaW
... So a 99 MC with 138,000 miles should give me a few more years? (If taken care of and maintained well)....
I am definitely NOT an expert, but I do have a 99 Z34 with over 210,000 miles on it

I purchased it at 30,000 miles and had a couple of things (alternator and fuel pump) replaced under original warranty. I think the fuel pump problem was caused by bad gas from a station, they said they found trash in the line. From 36,000 to 204,000 I did not have any major problems other than normal wear and tear (brakes, tires, belt) and my sunroof quit working. At some point within the past year or so it had a small fuel leak. It also developed a very small oil leak - not enough to make it worth the $$ to replace it, I just keep a check on the oil. Around 204,000 miles I had the fuel pump replaced and the radiator.

There is a recall that you should check on: http://autos.aol.com/article/gm-recall-april-2009/

I absolutely love my Z34. I've had really good luck with mine, it has been a wonderful car and its still running great. I didn't want to buy anything else but I had started making long trips with my kids for school events and I was getting worried about putting a ton of extra miles on it. When we found the blue 04 MC I couldn't resist it

Old 06-21-2010, 07:48 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2011

If the car is not register or insured does this mean you can't even take it for a test drive? If you can't take it for a test drive I would steer clear, if you can, test drive it over to your mechanic....If the car is legit the seller would try and work something out to get the sale, if something is shady he/she will probably come up with excuses so the car is not checked out to find something, in which case I would steer clear...jmo

Joe

Old 06-21-2010, 08:13 AM
Monte Of The Month -- December 2010
Monte Of The Month -- November 2014

I agree, sounds like alot of resistance and excuses, and why is it not registered etc? Why are they selling it? How long has it been off the road? Has it been sitting for a long period of time without running? Seller does not sound very co-operative. Be careful and safe and find a way to get a mechanic to look at it.

Lisa

Old 06-21-2010, 08:14 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

x2 if you can give it a test drive, I would let it warm up completely in the driveway and then go for a ride (the tranny won't show problem until it's warmed up for about 20-30 minutes.

Check all the fluids, and everything.

My Monte (though it's an 00 has the same engine) and I have 274,000 Kilometers on it. It's an extremely easy engine to work on, and you can find parts for it for cheap, and easily.

So even if you bought it, and you are comfortable with working on engines, for about $300-$400 and a whole day, you can tear that engine down and replace every gasket, and give it a tune-up. So that would make it $1600? not too bad IMO (if the transmission works well)

Quick Reply: 1999 Monte Carlo Z34