FWD Tech Guides '95-'07 Guides/How-To information for FWD Montes 1995-2007

Mod Guide: How To: L67 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 09:15 AM

I have a '95 monte with a 3.4 that is knocking badly, has to be a rod or piston beating something.

I have decided to pull the motor for repair or a swap.

This is the best write-up on engine removal I have found, but was wondering if I can just unbolt my AC compressor to keep from having to deal with evacuation/recharging.

Thanks for your help.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:44 AM
Default checking oil pressure on a '95 monte 3.4 dohc

I was wondering if I can connect an analog pressure gauge somewhere on the block to see what kind of pressure I am getting.

I am working on my 16 year old nephews car that he just bought. It is knocking terribly and I wanted to do as many preliminary checks as possible before pulling the motor.

I have pulled and rebuilt several traditional SBC's in my many years of auto repair but this 3.4 dohc is new to me, but i'm not scared of it.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:50 AM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You could do a compression leak down test if that's what you're referring to by taking out a spark plug and hooking up an air line to a pressure gauge and turning the engine over and see if it holds pressure and if the numbers on each cylinder are equal. You need to unplug the injector on the cylinder tested though or else it could end drastically. Not sure if that's what you're thinking of, I hope this helps. And yes you can unbolt the compressor from the block and leave it in the bay, that's what I do for all engine removals, even cradle drops. I just use a coat hanger or similar to attach it to the radiator support so that there's no stress on the lines.

Old 07-09-2010, 03:17 PM

I think I will do a compression test also, but I wanted to get an actual PSI pressure reading of the oil pressure (helps determine worn mains).

Is there a plug on the block where I can hook a gauge to. All this monte has is a dummy lite for low oil press.

Old 07-09-2010, 04:13 PM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have a '95 monte with a 3.4 that is knocking badly, has to be a rod or piston beating something.

I have decided to pull the motor for repair or a swap.

This is the best write-up on engine removal I have found, but was wondering if I can just unbolt my AC compressor to keep from having to deal with evacuation/recharging.
Are you planning to install an L67 into the vehicle? It sounds like you just want to fix or replace the 3.4 thats in there. I'm not trying to be rude, but you would get a lot more information and help if you posted a new thread in the actual forum, rather than tacking it onto a sticky about L67 swap info. Plus, it will help keep this thread clean from having unrelated info in it as well as make it easier for people to search that are having the same problems as you.

I think I will do a compression test also, but I wanted to get an actual PSI pressure reading of the oil pressure (helps determine worn mains).

Is there a plug on the block where I can hook a gauge to. All this monte has is a dummy lite for low oil press.
I don't know anything about the 3.4's, but obviously the light gets its info about oil pressure from somewhere- and I'd imagine its just like the 3800's in that it has a little sender unit in an oil galley somewhere. On the 3800's- the oil pressure sender is on the passenger side, sticking out of the side of the arm that the oil filter screws into.

All you would have to do is unscrew that sender, and screw in your tester.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:49 PM

I have a 2000 monte with a 3800 normally aspirated and i want more power. i I dont know anything about L67 versus an L36 other that it seems that i have an L36. So what would be the easiest approach to boost the power in my engine?

Old 11-21-2010, 04:12 PM
15 Year Member
Old 07-20-2011, 10:01 PM

Thanks a bunch!

Old 08-03-2011, 10:54 PM

I have not read all of this, but read enough to realize this guy knows what he is talking about. I have a '96 Monte Carlo with 155K+ Miles on it. As much as I would LOVE to get my car to have an L67 under the hood, I don't think I could. I have a 3800 Series II, and it was mentioned that I could be able to swap the " supercharged top end parts on my current engine ". I looked and could not find anything to show me how to do that. Would you know how to do that? Or atleast find me a place that explains it half as well as you did with swapping the whole engine??

Old 08-04-2011, 08:15 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

You have a '96 with a 3800? That thing was already engine swapped then.

Use the term "Top-Swap" on any W-Body forum and you should find all the info you need.

Quick Reply: Mod Guide: How To: L67 Swap