FWD Tech Guides '95-'07 Guides/How-To information for FWD Montes 1995-2007

Repair Guide: How To Change a Wheel Hub Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
I did a quick Google search and in like 5 seconds I found a coupon code that is still valid for RockAuto (and I tested it, it works, site claims it's good until March of 2013). Check the link below:
Rock Auto Coupon: Get $6 Off w/ January 2013 Coupon Codes
I was just going too say I found the one last night for march as well (1293960410579435) Copy and paste it in, I had one changed last 2010, should I do 2 at a time like if its the front or doesnt it really matter?

Old 01-30-2013, 07:58 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I did 1 because it was terrible terrible weather. If it was summer time, I probably would have done both, just to be safe.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
I did 1 because it was terrible terrible weather. If it was summer time, I probably would have done both, just to be safe.
I took my car in too get my abs System scanned as all my lights were coming on but today it was dry as a bone out and not one light came on. Never fails when taking it in somewhere but like the OBD11 computer it saves all the codes, I told the mechanic it only does it with the snow or when its wet out, The abs scanner said it was the left rear Wheel speed sensor (No signal) Does that sound like a bearing gone or maybe just the conector corroded or something, Im going to take the wheel off tomorrow and have a look how does the Plug come apart to check for corrosion??

Old 02-02-2013, 04:48 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

That's a REAL common problem. Contact cleaner works the best, but I like to use WD-40 cuz I think the petroleum base leaves a little bit of gunk to help seal out the moisture. Seem to have to do it at least once or tice a year, but usually only the fronts. Nothing saying the rears can't have the same problem, but they don't move around like the ones up front during turning.

Try cleaning them and squirting some WD-40 or similar lube in them.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by RocknSS04
That's a REAL common problem. Contact cleaner works the best, but I like to use WD-40 cuz I think the petroleum base leaves a little bit of gunk to help seal out the moisture. Seem to have to do it at least once or tice a year, but usually only the fronts. Nothing saying the rears can't have the same problem, but they don't move around like the ones up front during turning.

Thanks wayne will definatly give it a try!!

Old 02-02-2013, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by RocknSS04

Well as usual Im not that Lucky and always when your out of work haha I took the left rear tire off and spun the axle and there is a lot of play in the hub and squeeled like a pig, Must be why I thought it was the left front, Ive been pricing Timken Rear Hubs and I found 2 really cheap places that ship to Ontario Canada #1 choice for a rear was Amazon.com $77.88 (Free shipping) 2nd choice was Partsgeek at $81.25 plus $8.95 Shipping (Total of $90.20). Still debating if I should replace both rear but Moneys so tight. Thanks to everyone who gave some helpful tips for checking into stuff This sites awesome. Thanks you know who you are.

Old 02-02-2013, 01:58 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2013
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Chris s
Well as usual Im not that Lucky and always when your out of work haha I took the left rear tire off and spun the axle and there is a lot of play in the hub and squeeled like a pig, Must be why I thought it was the left front, Ive been pricing Timken Rear Hubs and I found 2 really cheap places that ship to Ontario Canada #1 choice for a rear was Amazon.com $77.88 (Free shipping) 2nd choice was Partsgeek at $81.25 plus $8.95 Shipping (Total of $90.20). Still debating if I should replace both rear but Moneys so tight. Thanks to everyone who gave some helpful tips for checking into stuff This sites awesome. Thanks you know who you are.
if the other has a equal amount of play it wouldn't hurt...save yourself the trouble in the future & change both. you may not get too many miles out of the other side if its got the same play..

Old 02-03-2013, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Red Nightmare
if the other has a equal amount of play it wouldn't hurt...save yourself the trouble in the future & change both. you may not get too many miles out of the other side if its got the same play..
Ya think i will save up til I can afford the 2 for sure.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
I've said it before, I'll say it again..... If you have an air compressor, get an Air Hammer to remove the hub.

All hubs I've done, I used an Air Hammer to pop them out of the knuckle. I can't imagine beating that thing out by hand.... And I hope to never try.
Where are ya'll hitting it with the hammer at? From behind or in front?
Would an electric hammer drill with a chisel work and what part of the hub would you chisel?

Sorry guys I know it seems like a dumb question but I'm not as smart as your average bear.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:13 PM

I guess I don't have to worry about breaking the hub loose yet. I dont have a socket small enough to fit the bolts that hold it. I tried a 9mm and it was too big.
I thought I might be able to get one done this evening but it's going to sit on jack stand tonight.
I don't have an axel nut on my back ones. Once I get a socket small enough to fit the bolts how can I get the hub assembley off.
Heres a pic of what it looks like

rear hub 2.jpg

Quick Reply: Repair Guide: How To Change a Wheel Hub Assembly