FWD Tech Guides '95-'07 Guides/How-To information for FWD Montes 1995-2007

Repair Guide: Front & Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 10:19 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Front & Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Replacement

Thanks again NYCRISS for this very nice write up!!!

Front Wheel Speed Sensor Replacement
Removal Procedure
Important: The front wheel speed sensors and rings are integral with the hub and bearing assemblies.

If a speed sensor or a ring needs replacement, replace the entire hub and bearing assembly. Do not service the harness pigtail individually because the harness pigtail is part of the sensor. Refer to Wheel Bearing/Hub Replacement - Front in Front Suspension.

Raise and support the vehicle on a suitable hoist. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.
Remove the front tire and wheel assembly. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation in Tires and Wheels.

Disconnect the front wheel speed sensor jumper harness electrical connector (1).

Remove the hub and bearing assembly (2). Refer to Wheel Bearing/Hub Replacement - Front in Front Suspension.
Installation Procedure

Install the hub and bearing assembly (2) to the vehicle. Refer to Wheel Bearing/Hub Replacement - Front in Front Suspension.

Install the front wheel speed sensor jumper harness electrical connector (1).
Install the wheel and tire assembly. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation in Tires and Wheels.
Lower the vehicle.
Turn the ignition switch to the ON position with the engine off.
Perform the Diagnostic System Check - ABS .

Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Replacement
Removal Procedure
Important: The rear wheel speed sensors and rings are integral with the hub and bearing assemblies.

If a speed sensor or a ring needs replacement, replace the entire hub and bearing assembly. Refer to Wheel Bearing/Hub Replacement - Rear in Rear Suspension.

Raise and support the vehicle on a suitable hoist. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.
Remove the rear tire and wheel assembly. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation in Tires and Wheels.

Disconnect the electrical connector from the rear wheel speed sensor.

Remove the hub and bearing assembly (1). Refer to Wheel Bearing/Hub Replacement - Rear in Rear Suspension.
Installation Procedure

Install the hub and bearing assembly (1) to the vehicle. Refer to Wheel Bearing/Hub Replacement - Rear in Rear Suspension.

Connect the electrical connector to the rear wheel speed sensor.
Install the wheel and tire assembly. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation in Tires and Wheels.
Lower the vehicle.
Turn the ignition switch to the ON position, with the engine off.
Perform the Diagnostic System Check - ABS .

Old 07-07-2011, 01:50 PM
Default Where are the instructions?

Maybe I'm an idiot, but where how do I find the instructions for this job? All this says is to remove the old one and put the new one on.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:03 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

Since this post is from 2006, in 2008 we had a forum virus and attack and lost a lot of the posts in their detail. Some stuff was salvaged, but clearly the images and full text was lost on this one.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:05 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

directions to replace the wheel bearing...

http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/G...ent/index.html

Old 07-07-2011, 03:01 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

That is a good write up but our axle nuts are not 36mm I think there 34mm maybe someone will confirm this.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:09 PM

15 Year Member

Originally Posted by lougreen03
That is a good write up but our axle nuts are not 36mm I think there 34mm maybe someone will confirm this.
Mine was definitely 36mm

Last edited by ChibiBlackSheep; 02-07-2012 at 08:32 AM.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:30 PM

They are 34mm, just did one last weekend.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:03 PM

I hear lots of different ways to remedy the ABS light coming on in my newly acquired 2001 SS. Computer analysis stated the sensors on the right front and right rear were bad.
OK. I see that Autozone has just the sensors for less than I can buy the hubs with the sensors, yet I see here that I should replace the whole hubs and not just the sensors.

I wonder why just the sensors are available if they should not be used. Can anyone verify that I should not just buy two speed sensors? It always seems that GM gives much different advice and instructions than many good mechanics that are not with GM, so I never know what to really believe.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:35 PM

Also, how do the speed sensors come out. The right rear is bad on my 02 SS, Napa has just the sensor, that I bought, and I'm stumped on how the sensor comes out of the assembly.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:33 AM

15 Year Member

You don't replace just the sensors on these cars, it is part of a sealed assembly

Quick Reply: Repair Guide: Front & Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Replacement