FWD Tech Guides '95-'07 Guides/How-To information for FWD Montes 1995-2007

Repair Guide: Finally!!! Gauge Cluster Problem Fix!! - Stepper Motor

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 04:36 PM
5 Year Member
Default RE: Finally!!! Gauge Cluster Problem Fix!!

I'd check Andysautosport.com

Old 02-27-2009, 03:58 PM

So how do you remove the cluster from the dashboard?

Old 02-27-2009, 04:49 PM
5 Year Member

ORIGINAL: Rasputin

So how do you remove the cluster from the dashboard?
You need to take off 4 or 5 bolts. One or two are in the glove box, 2 under the steering column, and another one in the fuse box on the drivers side. Then take off ignition face plate.

Then you pop off the dash plate those bolts were holding. Then I believe there are 4 bolts holding the cluster in, take those off and disconnect the wires on the cluster.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:47 PM

Thanks 04. Do you have pics of these bolts' locations? The stealership was asking $500 to replace the instrument cluster which I think is too expensive.
How much does that replacement motor and which parts store did you get from?

Old 02-28-2009, 06:49 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

This is a GREAT post! Replacing the clusters is a VERY expensive repair, and technically, not a legal one for someone to do themselves, because tampering with the speedometers is illegal. You yourself CAN NOT purchase a new cluster, without having the service department installing it for you.

Did I say GREAT POST!

Old 02-28-2009, 10:14 AM
5 Year Member

ORIGINAL: Rasputin

Thanks 04. Do you have pics of these bolts' locations? The stealership was asking $500 to replace the instrument cluster which I think is too expensive.
How much does that replacement motor and which parts store did you get from?
I don't have pics, just knowledge of doing it myself. Umm... I don't know how to sugar coat this so I'm just coming out with it and by no way am I trying to be mean, but if you can't find the bolts after a 5 minute look, you REALLY should not be attempting to repair the cluster yourself as it is much more difficult than finding the bolts.

It's the same thing as cooking, if you don't know where the oven temp control is then you have no business trying to make a gourmet meal. Or if you don't know how to put on a condom, don't date the Chief of Police's daughter.... only bad things can happen.

The steps to repair the cluster are very difficult when it comes to soldering. You have to be VERY careful not to overheat the circuit board and fry the components.

Like I said I'm not trying to be mean but I am trying to save you from a world of headaches.

Then again. If it is totally broke, no hurt trying to fix it. Worst case is you will have to get the car towed to the dealership and buy a new cluster.
Y

Old 03-01-2009, 01:36 AM

Well, I called a couple dealerships to see about buying the motors and was informed that GM does not sell cluster internals, I'd have to pay $300+ for the cluster. Not what I was expecting to hear. I searched online and found them pretty reasonable on ebay, $5ea, $5 shipping first part, $2 for each additional part.

I kept looking around and found this

GM PARTS BULLETINS & INFORMATION - TO CADILLAC, CHEVROLET AND GMC DEALERS
Subject:Bulletin GMP07-174 - Special Coverage Adjustment #07187- Instrument Panel Cluster Gauge Needle FunctionMessage #:VSU20071575
• DESCRIPTION:
SPECIAL COVERAGE Adjustment #07187- SEPTEMBER 28, 2007

DUE TO PART AVAILABILITY, THIS SPECIAL COVERAGE IS BEING ADMINISTERED IN PHASES. YOU WILL BE NOTIFIED AS EACH ADDITIONAL PHASE IS RELEASED.

CUSTOMERS ARE BEING INSTRUCTED TO CONTACT THE DEALERSHIP TO ARRANGE AN APPOINTMENT IF THEY BELIEVE THEIR VEHICLE HAS THIS CONDITION. THE CUSTOMER IS BEING ASKED TO PROVIDE THE VIN SO THE IPC CAN BE ORDERED IN ADVANCE OF THE SCHEDULED APPOINTMENT. THIS WILL ELIMINATE THE NEED TO KEEP THE VEHICLE OVERNIGHT.
o Some customers of 2003-2004 model year Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, and Escalade EXT; Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, and Tahoe; and GMC Sierra, Yukon, and Yukon XL vehicles have reported that the instrument panel (IP) cluster gauges stick, flutter, or become inoperative. This may cause inaccurate readings, including the speedometer and fuel gauge.
o This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 7 years or 70,000 miles (110,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership.
o Refer to Special Coverage Adjustment #07187 for further information

EFFECTIVE DATE:
Initial owner mailing is scheduled to begin: Phase 1 9-28-07

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Instrument panel clusters (IPC) required to complete this special coverage are to be obtained from the Electronic Service Centers. Refer to GM Service Policies and Procedures Manual, section 1.5.9, for specific procedures. To eliminate keeping the customer's vehicle overnight, customers are being told to contact the dealership to arrange a service appointment and to supply their VIN. Dealers are to pre-order the IPC identifying the part from the Electronic Parts Catalog using the VIN filter so it will be at the dealership on the day of the scheduled appointment.
o 1. The customer will contact the dealership to arrange an appointment and provide their VIN.
2. Contact a GM Authorized Electronic Service Center to order an exchange and arrange for delivery of the pre-exchange product.
3. All units will be shipped FedEx Ground.
4. After removal of the defective unit, return the defective core to the Electronic Service Center using the supplied pre-paid Automatic Return shipping (ARS) label.
5. Failure to return the product within 30 days to the Electronic Service Center will result in a charge to the Dealer's Open Parts Account.
But even though the Monte uses the exact same stepper motor as the vehicles covered in this SCA, it's not included in this action so at this time the only options we have are to buy a working cluster or replace the stepper motors. I highly suggest that anyone having this issue file a complaint with Chevrolet and the NHTSA cause like they say, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

File complaint with NHTSA

File complaint with Chevrolet

Old 04-12-2009, 07:59 PM

you should charge to do the repairs. id ship my ipc to you and send u the cash for your work if u can fix it. u could make quite a bit of cash at say, $150 a pop. and you would be helping alot of people save money through out this economic crisis. lol. for real. pm me if u can do this for me brother.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:12 PM

I actually offer the repair service (and various other cluster services)

You can check my site here:

http://www.bbengineer.com/cars/impala/store.htm

or head over to http://www.naioa.com

BBEngineer

Old 04-27-2009, 11:07 AM

My speedometer is doing fine...how ever my damn gas gauge is completley out of wack. It only shows the right amount when it is over 1/2, anything less it stays on full the whole ride unless i stop and place it in park for upto 5 minutes. Do you know what may be causing this problem?

Quick Reply: Repair Guide: Finally!!! Gauge Cluster Problem Fix!! - Stepper Motor