FWD Tech Guides '95-'07 Guides/How-To information for FWD Montes 1995-2007

Repair Guide: Finally!!! Gauge Cluster Problem Fix!! - Stepper Motor

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 09:39 PM

Would a bad solder joint on the PCB of the cluster cause a U1064 from the BCM not communicating ?
I know my screen name is Scrappy Happy 2003 Monte owner but I am not so happy not because I still can not find the problem with the 2003 Monte.
Got 2 codes so far, U1064 and P1626.
Also got a battery drain over night but these cars have a circuit protection system that causes the battery to go dead if there is a electrical short somewhere.
The problems seem to be all related and a mixed bag of fun.
Battery drain, Car starts and runs fine at idle, but after a few mins to 10 mins the secuirty light comes on and flashes between yellow security light and battery light, the radio is locked out but works fine when these things are not happening, the door locks when the shifter is in reverse do not engage and the back up lights are not working.
The back up lights not working is the top priority because I have to get this car to pass inspection soon.
I got the dash halfway apart and next step before I go on farther is take pictures of the wires, bolts to the dash, the orientation of the dash parts before I FOBAR everything up.
The GM TSB says if you get a U1064 code that means that it's not with the BCM.
They recommend that you inspect the plugs and connectors at the BCM.
I saw a guy on Youtube with the U1064 code on a GM truck and when he pushed in on his driver side fuse box all the lights on his ICP worked.
Maybe a disconnected wire or open circult at the fuse box for the BCM or the dreaded purple monster class 2 data line ?
Is it the dreaded purple monster class 2 data line at the OBDII data port where the purple wire is connected to the female plug in the OBDII data port ?
A lose ground ? or shorted somewhere ?
Has anyone had this same problem before ?
I know the instrument panel cluster back lights fade out until I tap on the ICP and they come back on but over all everything seems to work fine, the radio, all the lights in the car, door locks, wipers, turning signals, brake lights, headlights, everything, even the back up or reverse lights work fine with the door locks engaging when they are suppose to until the yellow message light for security and battery light comes on and the radio is locked out.
Could there be a problem on the instrument panel cluster where the purple class 2 data line is connected onto the BCM ?
Or is there no power getting to the BCM ?
A passlock II or is this on this car a 03 Monte Passlocked out of your own car III ?

Old 09-05-2013, 11:53 AM

Wanted to say thank you to everything in this thread...my speedomotor hasn't worked in months and with this $8 45min fix it now is working properly.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:48 AM

Where do you buy the motors at and what is the fuel gauge motor nunber, & speed motor number and what has been the cost of these motors

Old 10-21-2013, 08:40 PM

stepper motors can be bought off ebay (where i bought mine), motors are the same for all ICP gauges.

Try using "gm stepper motor" on ebay, should be about $1-2 per motor. Hardest part is the soldering, i found some places online that you mail the ICP to and they do it and get it back to you for $40-50 in a week's time or sooner if you pay the S&H.

I did it myself, it's not too hard.

Old 01-04-2015, 07:30 AM

Replaced the stepper motors yesterday. I ordered the motors on ebay, found some more instruction on YouTube and the job was complete in about 3 hours. Once again saved a bunch of $$ thanks to MC Forum.

Old 01-20-2015, 04:22 AM

I did this fix just the past hour. It's actually the second time I did this since I just fixed the fuel gauge the first time then the rest went goofy.

What I noticed both times is that you cannot set the gauges by starting at 12 then rotating them counterclockwise to the start position. It still reads all goofy when you start it up. Every time I reset them they just read totally wrong the next time I start it up. So I had to leave the face plate off, pull off the needle then reinstall at the start position once the car is warmed up (so I can set the temp gauge too). I guessed based on what I've seen them do in the past and got it close enough. RPMS and Speedometer (used gps) are spot on and I set the fuel needle to full once I filled it up. I wish I could set them so they read perfect but it will do for now.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:28 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

is there a place i can send my cluster to get the lights fixed, and maybe add a custom design? the lights randomly go dim from time to time and i also wanted to ad a signature pictire up there or something

Old 04-28-2015, 05:33 PM

Thanks for the photos and instructions, I just finished installing the new stepper motors in my gauge cluster and put the dash back together. Took me an hour or so to remove the cluster, disassemble and desolder the 6 motors, and resolder and install them all. Here is a source for stepper motors on ebay, cost me less than $15 for all 6 including free shipping. X25 168 x25 168 Stepper Motor GM Chevy Cluster Gauge Speedometer 6QTY | eBay

One problem that I had, I installed the pointers at 12 o clock and moved them back to my starting mark. Luckily I tested them before pulling off the tape, by plugging them into the dash and they moved all over the place. I was able to get them correct by moving them counter clockwise a full turn around, stopping at the tape mark a second time. After that it seems to have worked, have not yet taken it out on the street but they move nicely when I start it up and look to be in the right position. I will give an update on my other thread about the non-functioning gas gauge as soon as I take it for a ride and see if this solves my problem.
Dave

Old 05-30-2016, 02:49 PM

Interesting info on these stepper motor's. i have a buddy in NC that does alot if these. He say's replace all of the stepper motor's.

Old 12-30-2019, 01:59 AM

It's about a 30 minute job once the cluster is out. All you need are the motors and know how to solder decently.

Quick Reply: Repair Guide: Finally!!! Gauge Cluster Problem Fix!! - Stepper Motor