Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Seeing 1* KR

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 09:49 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Seeing 1* KR

Ok...

so heres the deal, i have been playing around with the car a tad bit and i have been collecting parts getting ready to drop them in.

So far I have only intalled my custom intake (just welded up some 4" aluminum pipe with a 9" K&N) Its NOT a CAI, just a short ram with an open filter element.

Other than that I have NOT installed my other parts (3" dp w/ high flow cat, 180* t-stat,slp loudmouth, autolite 104's, zzPerformance 3.5", and hopefully by the end of the week some 1.95 rockers).

My issue was, i was screwing around this past week and decided to scan my car with the shops snap-on diag tool.

I was surprised that i as seeing about 1* of KR right before factory redline and about 1.3-1.5* inbetween shifts (which from my understanding, in-between shiftsis associated with torque management).

Has anyone else run into this?
Im sure by dropping the plugs a deg it will go away, but i was still surprised none the less.

I ONLY run 93. My frineds at the shop said that 1* is nothing and i shouldnt worry until i hit 4-5* (which even then they claim is still reasonable, but excedeing 4-5 is dangerous).

...and just before anyone jumps to conclusions about my friends opinions, for the record its Cottons Peformance (one of the biggest names of grand national tuning in the US). Not to say that they arent wrong, but also didnt want anyone to assume i was checking at pepboys lol.

Let me know what you guys think.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:45 AM
Default RE: Seeing 1* KR

Sorry I missed this post! Yes, drop to Autolite 104's, and the colder t stat... Just so you know, you may want to hold off on the pulley drop until AFTER you get a tuner...

Old 11-30-2007, 10:45 PM

1-2* is fine not perfict even 3-4 is ok but not good if tuning for performance. cause 4* of timing hurts HP.... and there is no point adding more power via mods until you have max perf of your current setup.

deff 5+ will damage a car. deff not good for long term

in stock form i was seeing 4-6* timing but on an NA motor 6-7* is still not that big a deal... with boost it can cause issues much faster. its good you have a scan tool.

Old 01-05-2008, 12:31 PM

The stock KR you were seeing seems to be pretty common. I've added tons of mods to lower KR and still have a bit.

I've also been seeingin a few posts that the Knock Sensors on the Monte's are a bit more sensitive than on the GP's. I don't know how much stock I would put into that but it sounds a bit more comfortable.

Once you put in the plugs it should get rid of the KR.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:53 PM

ummm Date check ^^^^

yeah 1* is nothing but runing a HAI will also make some KR go away... not only are your getting air that is less dense... so you will run rich, but the hotter intake temps will pull timing too. that 1* with a HAI could be as much as a 5-6 with a CAI.

04 if you have a way of tuning i'd be glad to give ya a hand on getting rid of that KR.. depending on how much you have it will be worth it to pull some timing or if you can add more fuel. i've gotten quite good at this now. just say the word... get me a scan and we can begin

Old 01-08-2008, 05:12 PM

I'll take you up on that when I get a chance. This is way too weird, when I have a job I have time on my hands, when I don't have a job I spend a ton of time looking for one and doing everything myself to save money.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:44 PM

All I have is a CAI and I was getting 3* kr at wot...it was hella cold outside when I was scanning though.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:00 PM

ORIGINAL: Nocturnx

All I have is a CAI and I was getting 3* kr at wot...it was hella cold outside when I was scanning though.
Damn. That just means it is going to get worse in the summer. I'm starting to wonder if what I've heard through the grapevine that the Knock Sensors on Monte's are too sensitive. I never hear this on GP's and it would hamper the performance of a Monte so the Pontiac would be on the higher teir over Chevy. On the flip it would make sure that the engine lasts longer.