Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Turbochargers Vs. Superchargers ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by monte07
there is a way to run both. but the boost on both must be low and I would not be surprised to have the engine to have rediculus amount of blow off valves. I seen two so far that has both having at least two blow off valves that I seen. I have noticed one thing superchargers are good for top end and turbos are good for bottom end. I think I got those two backwards. having both seems like a balance on both ends of the spectrum. but it is a lot of work but a good pay out though. but on a fwd the room is a little tight but would be interesting to do. kind of wish that the 3.5 and the 3.9 has the supercharger for it. because I would love to have that option the supercharger. but the turbo is a good option for me but a bit pricy for fab
Multiple people have done twin charged setups on the 3800. It's really just not worth the complication IMO. It sounds like you'd have the best of both worlds, but honestly it's not really needed and you don't make more power than you would with a straight turbo setup. I also don't understand why you say it would need any more blow off valves than a normal turbo setup. Only the turbo air would exit the blow off valve, the supercharged air is already post TB (unless of course someone was dumb enough to do it with a turbo and a centri) and will recirculate with the boost bypass valve anyways.

If you want a big power setup, a turbo is the way to go. A properly setup modern turbo system can come on plenty strong with brake boosting and a looser converter. Certainly more than street tires could hold anyways. If that's not enough, you could always add a 100 shot or something to get you out of the hole and have it phase out once boost comes online. That way you get your instant power without all the supercharger BS.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 09-08-2016 at 05:30 PM.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:32 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

What bumpin said is exactly right. I personally know of a twin charged 3800 and it performed very well but never made big power.

The little m90 blower for the 3800 runs out of steam around the 400-450whp range where a turbo the sky is the limit basically. Also, people complain about lag but I'm soon to have that issue fixed as well with my anyilag setup

Old 09-12-2018, 08:24 AM
Default Supercharger

Good morning
I'm new in the monte carlo forums
i have a 2004 monte carlo ss
Which would be cheaper? Replace my 3.8 to a sc motor or add the supercharger..
thanks