Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Turbochargers Vs. Superchargers ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 11:26 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

There was a supercharger kit for the Grand Am, but I don't think they make the conversion kit anymore

Old 03-16-2011, 11:33 AM
Exclamation

bumpin96monte,Montess2k I agree with Ya'll about N2O.

I saw a guy at a NMCA melt a big chunk of his top end with a carb back fire/N2O explosion.

Usually the guys who carry their engines home in a greasy sack got greedy too much N2O and too little fuel=destruction.

Front drivers also launch differently than rear drivers.

This thread is great.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:20 PM

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

So if I want to go for overall power, I would want to turbocharge. Lag, then, shouldn't be too much of an issue if I get the properly fitted turbo. To counteract the heat problem, I would also need to install an intercooler.

Yeah?

Old 04-13-2011, 06:36 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You don't NEED an intercooler for a turbo. It's just nice to have colder air for denser air and a better tune. I wouldn't worry about turbo'ing your car unless you have a good $7000+ to spend. You'll have to seriously build up the transmission, plus the turbo costs.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:54 PM

Ohh yeah, that won't be for a long while. But I've always been interested in it.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:25 PM

i have a super charger on my mustang with a intercooler it runs great. but the down side i wish there is a supercharger for the 60degree engins aka 3.4 3.5 3.9 v6 engins because there is alot of them out there but it is sad that there is a limited number of people who crave the demand of the supercharger as well as the turbo setup for the one i have wich is the 3.5 engine. i know there could be a demand for it if it was already there but i know and agree with bumpin there is more of a set up for the 3.4 for the turbo option

Old 05-01-2011, 08:58 AM
Smile 3.5L flex

Hi,
i was wondering, since i haven't been able to get an answer from anyone anywhere, can i put a turbo or a supercharger on a 3.5L FLEX?
i apologize for my ignorance, but i'm a new monte carlo lover and not so skilled in the ways of mechanics. However, i'm willing to learn anything that anyone has to offer.

thanks

Old 05-01-2011, 10:27 AM

Yes you can, anything can be turbocharged/supercharged with the right modifications. Idk what you mean by FLEX, if your talking about FLEXFUEL then that doesn't even matter FLEXFUEL just means that your car has the ability to run Ethanol for better mpg's.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:58 AM
Default more questions

hey,
thanks for the tip. now i've heard that its better to turbo charge a 3.5L than it is to supercharge it. is there really a difference between the two based on the fact that its a smaller engine?

and jw....wut stage would be prefered on a 3.5L? stage 1 or 2?

Old 05-01-2011, 03:35 PM

I prefer a turbocharger over a supercharger any day of the week. The turbocharger runs off the exhaust and the supercharger runs off of the belt which draws power from the motor itself.
Stage 1 is like when its just installing the turbo itself. No other upgrades.
Stage 2 is an upgraded turbo and such as headers, exhaust, heads, ect.
Stage 3 is basically a blown motor, meaning turbocharged, bored out block, forged pistons, ect.

I would go with a stage 2 because you turbocharge a car eventually things are going to need to be either replaced or upgraded and you might as well take of it right then and there, as well as transmission upgrades.

Quick Reply: Turbochargers Vs. Superchargers ?