Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Turbo monte current build has been demodded.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 11:41 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Your getting there bud, amazing amount of effort your putting forth, your not so far from getting there. Your build team seems to think they can get you there with the new concept and parts selections, that's sweet. You have been treading in and surviving pretty darn well in the new waters. Sincerely hope you are the one to finally take the Monte name into the Pontiac crowd for a "What's up guys!". They will have to bow down to Mr. Ford City... Best of luck making the cut.

Old 01-19-2017, 05:58 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thanks you guys!! Parts have started coming off today I was told!

Old 01-27-2017, 08:28 AM
10 Year Member

All turbo components have been sold and my new turbo and twin wastegates were also ordered yesterday next on the list for the shop to do is get all the wiring tucked and fuse box/ battery moved out of the engine bay.

Im so excited to see the finished product here and really can't wait to hear it, something about a open 4" downpipe and twin wastegate open dumps gives me a big smile and a funny feeling inside!

Attached Thumbnails Turbo monte current build has been demodded.-received_10104353413201983.jpeg  
Old 01-29-2017, 11:12 PM
Monte Of The Year 2012
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by turbo monte
All turbo components have been sold and my new turbo and twin wastegates were also ordered yesterday next on the list for the shop to do is get all the wiring tucked and fuse box/ battery moved out of the engine bay.

Im so excited to see the finished product here and really can't wait to hear it, something about a open 4" downpipe and twin wastegate open dumps gives me a big smile and a funny feeling inside!
Is that not a sight, your photo with Turbo Monte's heart laying strewn about the shop floor...

I cannot imagine even though I'm trying, the roar your 4" down pipe will be putting out. Really, battery being relocated, fuse box too? Your new kit does come with the Acme engine bay "Shoe horn" right... Going to exciting seeing your new build come together... Any thoughts about doing a full pull on the dyno? You are still running you stock bottom end right? How many miles on that rotating assembly?

Old 01-29-2017, 11:32 PM
10 Year Member

The bottom end is bored 20 over with ARP fasteners. I purchased it like that like 4yrs ago. Probably has around 8-10k miles on it. The car will be making a few full Dyno pulls. The shop and I been talking about my meth setup and it will be changed a bit also.... Probably gonna spray 3 nozzles now...

Old 01-29-2017, 11:53 PM
Monte Of The Year 2012
15 Year Member

The bottom end is bored 20 over with ARP fasteners. I purchased it like that like 4yrs ago. Probably has around 8-10k miles on it. The car will be making a few full Dyno pulls. The shop and I been talking about my meth setup and it will be changed a bit also.... Probably gonna spray 3 nozzles now...
Man I get butterflies reading about your build. I'm so happy for you, going to be so trick. Well hey, the bottom end is sound then, 20 over and ARP hardware, guess that is about the most you want to go, and your fasteners are top notch.

I'm 10 over and ARP'd too. I need to do a couple full pulls to make you and me happy, hope the build can withstand all the stress. Want to see where we really stand with each other, apples to apples. Would really hate to pop it though, don't know that I would rebuild it. Mine goes into the shop mid-March, for hopefully no more than 2 weeks.

3 nozzles? wow, that will be quite the arrangement staged like that. Going to have to follow this closely to see your real benefit from 3. You one crazy **** for sure, hats off to you bud. Your Monte will be the baddest 6th gen ever built when you hit your magic pump gas numbers...

Old 01-30-2017, 12:01 AM
10 Year Member

Thanks man, im not worried about popping an engine, I will rebuild that. If I break any of my gmr trans parts I will probably give up with this platform at that time though.

You really do need to get some full pull numbers also, I am curious to see how our cars stack against each other!

Old 01-30-2017, 11:47 PM
Monte Of The Year 2012
15 Year Member

Thanks man, im not worried about popping an engine, I will rebuild that. If I break any of my gmr trans parts I will probably give up with this platform at that time though.

You really do need to get some full pull numbers also, I am curious to see how our cars stack against each other!
I would not want to pop the engine, it's far from stock all the special internal parts and crap, probably would be 10k to redo it. But your right, the full pull is our real world bragging rights chart.

Go John Go!! Is your fuel pump going in the tank or on the frame? You keeping your factory fuel lines too?

Old 01-31-2017, 01:24 PM

I actually bought a spare bottom end years ago in case something like that happened. I picked up a ~85k mile L67 bottom end from a friend that I just keep in an oily bag to keep rust away. I'd probably lose a little power from dropping a full point of compression, but at least it would get back on the road for cheap. Could probably make up the difference with more boost anyways. Stock bottom ends held up to way more power than I wouldve ever thought when I first started building this engine, I probably should've went that way from the start.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 01-31-2017 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
But your right, the full pull is our real world bragging rights chart.
Honestly, I wouldnt put too much faith into dyno numbers. They work fine for trying to compare before/after comparisons of doing mods, or comparing a bunch of cars at a dyno meet on the same dyno. But it's hard to compare numbers from different dynos. They try to standardize the readings, but between the types of dynos there are many different ways to alter the output values.

I learned that messing with my vette. My first dyno post-blower install was in the low 500s, when others online were seeing up to low 600s. Same with my more recent mods, it's now right around 600, but I've beaten a couple of local cars that were near identical to mine (except with a few less mods or bigger sc pulley) claiming about 650 and 675 whp from a different local dyno. My car pulls both of them in a roll race despite having a notably lower dyno chart. Certainly jaded me to all the hype around having a big dyno number. Seems like 1/4 mile ET is a more reliable yardstick.
​​​