Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Turbo Charger or Super Charger? Bad for tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 12:30 PM
Default Turbo Charger or Super Charger? Bad for tranny?

I am looking to get some work done on my monte carlo 2006 ss but i heard it can be bad for the transmission any ideas? I was thinking dual turbo charger pcm computer maybe and a cold air intake.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:42 PM

You didn't need 2 threads for the same topic, but of course, increasing HP and adding boost is going to be harder on the transmission. The 4T65E transmissions are really only designed to take about 300 horse - granted you probably wouldn't see the damaging effects right off the bat. Supercharging an LS4 would take a lot of time and money in fabrication so would doing a twin turbo setup. Cold air intake doesn't really add any power - maybe 1-2 WHP if you're lucky. Tuning the PCM wouldn't hurt either, it can do some decent changes - like adjust your shift points and disable DOD if you don't mind the drop in MPGs.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:33 PM

Old 12-18-2011, 02:49 AM

my opinion is if you are using this for a daily driver, a supercharger is usually the way to go. I got a turbo put on, but on the lower end I really didn't gain much power, but on high end, like highway I got what I need. Don't you have the 5.3l with the 300hp? I heard some people supercharging that thing up to 400-500 horsepower.
you can try to make a custom one..(maybe delete the air conditioning, in place create a custom bracket and put a supercharger blower on it, rotrex for example) and weld custom pipes etc etc etc.
but if you are looking at a bolt on I think they are around the $4k-5k. and even though it says bolt on, it's still a lot of work and may still need fabricated.

but as for the trans, your trans is already the heavy duty one, but if you really want to take it up a level, you can try to upgrade internals or do a manual 5 speed getrag 282 or 284 swap.

Everything may sound like a lot of work, but if you know what you are doing then it shouldn't be hard and only a matter of money.

BUT HONESTLY, if you buy the right cai intake then it will give u some noticeable gain(the kind where you go like HELL F*CKINg YEA for like a month-half a year lol). like k & n for example k&n 63-3059 kit claims 13.5hp gain. which is http://www.knfilters.com/dynocharts/63-3059_dyno.pdf from a impala 5.3l. Start there, if you look on amazon it is like 200 bucks which is alright....but there could be better out there, but this definitely better than ebay crap...

then if you want more, look at upgrading exhaust systems, not sure how yours work.but I am sure there are aftermarket headers and cat backs you can do.

tuning is a whole new story....(some people know how to tune it to gain power even on stock cars, it's who you find to do it.)

The sky is the limit on power, but it's how much you got/willing to spend.

Old 12-18-2011, 03:54 AM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I can tell you since boosting my MC my 2nd gear is about to put in it's 2 week notice.

Old 12-18-2011, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by NarutoV2
but as for the trans, your trans is already the heavy duty one.
Which is still only good for about 300 horses. Many stock LS4s kill their tranny, the parts they beefed up in the HD version aren't the parts that normally break from over power.

Originally Posted by NarutoV2
BUT HONESTLY, if you buy the right cai intake then it will give u some noticeable gain(the kind where you go like HELL F*CKINg YEA for like a month-half a year lol). like k & n for example k&n 63-3059 kit claims 13.5hp gain. which is http://www.knfilters.com/dynocharts/63-3059_dyno.pdf from a impala 5.3l. Start there, if you look on amazon it is like 200 bucks which is alright....but there could be better out there, but this definitely better than ebay crap...
Right you gain 13.5 CRANK horsepower - so 1, maybe 2 to the wheels.

Old 12-18-2011, 08:36 PM

Wow, that sucks... that the stock trans go out so fast... but then again, that happens to daily drivers for any trans. My dodge caravan trans exploded at 85k and those many horror stories of our montes dying around 80k I read makes wish they could make sure the manufacturer spend more on realiability but then again, they will pick plastic over metal even if it saves them a penny or a dime per car.

I always thought it is about .7-.75 percent of BHP to WHP. wouldn't the promised 13 give about like 8-9? But hey it's gain regardless of 1 or 2 or 100. I mean I know people who will pay like 100 dollars for like a 1whp gain, like underdrive pulleys etc.

I really do hope my trans hold out on me though. I am still in process of tuning, and still haven't floored(less than 4k rpm) it yet since my turbo build in July. and I don't even have the heavy duty one.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:23 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The K&N is also usually a HAI. So in the warmer days or if you are in stop and go traffic, your HP will go down. That is a HP boost in cold air, probably on a dyno, with the hood off, and a fan blowing right on the engine.

Also, if you want to figure out WHP, it's about 20% of the crank HP due to drivetrain loss.

Old 12-20-2011, 05:14 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Its gonna be a lot more then 20%. I doubt my 86 is making 1000 hp to the crank, and it has more drivetrain loss then a fwd monte

Old 12-21-2011, 01:56 AM

I think he meant 80 percent lol. Cause I am sure the equation was .8x(BHP)=WHP or .75(BHP)=WHP Cause I mean hell a stock Monte 3.8 for example has 200bhp, and people who dynoed stock got about 160hp, so it is actually kind of accurate but I say .75 because I like surprises lol

Quick Reply: Turbo Charger or Super Charger? Bad for tranny?