Monte Carlo Forums

Go Back   Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums > Your Ride > Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to the Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-16-2012, 09:37 AM
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Trader Rating:(0)
Superrod29
Send a message via AIM to superrod29
Default triple edge performance???

gonna have to get a new transmission.its slipping like crazy and have done so many things to make it better but... nothing has worked so im gong to buy a new one. any body hear anything about this website? decent prices for a street strip model and really considering getting one from them.

Transmissions
Old 04-16-2012, 09:43 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2011

Yes! Go with TEP, they are the top of the line for our tranny's. When my tranny goes, this is what I will be doing too.

NA dyno: 222whp
Novi 1000 dyno: 348whp
Novi 2000 dyno: Coming soon...
Old 04-16-2012, 10:12 AM

Superrod29

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipper View Post
Yes! Go with TEP, they are the top of the line for our tranny's. When my tranny goes, this is what I will be doing too.

Great, glad the first reply was a good one. Yay
Old 04-16-2012, 10:59 AM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by superrod29 View Post
Great, glad the first reply was a good one. Yay
Any idea when you'll be getting one? I'm leaning towards TEP as I start to mod more. Just curious as to how it will work out, total cost, etc. Keep us posted as you get more info. and purchase one.

I will probably go TEP next year after a few mods I'll kill my stock trans first of course and make lots of videos (maybe only one haha), it would only be right
Old 04-16-2012, 11:14 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

mikerogers.design ChibiBlackSheep mikerogersdesigns ChibiBlackSheep ChibiBlackSheep thismikerogers
Send a message via AIM to ChibiBlackSheep

I have heard nothing but great things about TEP. He doesn't just rebuild transmissions, he fixes the problems AND BUILDS them

Daily Driver - 2013 IOM Camaro 1LS | LFX and M6
Old 04-16-2012, 11:23 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010

Send a message via AIM to Enzo354

They are probably the best tranny you can get.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:32 AM
1 Year Member

they for sure are the best 4t65's, and the name is well known in the fwd 3800 community
Old 04-16-2012, 12:16 PM

Superrod29

great, i will keep everyone updated. the one im getting is this...

<!-- Content:End -->
4T65E High Performance Street/Strip model
Starting at $1749.95

Our High Performance Street/Strip rebuilds include all of the features that the standard rebuild and steps it up a notch! Each High Perf rebuild is custom tailored to match your vehicle and performance level keeping in mind your current and future plans. With several hundered High Performance 4T65E rebuilds in the books since 2001 we have learned what works very well and a number of great combinations to be reliable with a wide array of power levels. The Base High Performance Street/Strip model will work well in a wide range of power levels from stock to roughly the 280-300whp level which is getting into the low 13 / high 12 second quarter mile mark. For power levels and goals higher than this we offer a few upgrades to keep the transmission durable and the main weak links of the 4T65E are the input shaft and the factory dual chain set and we can help which upgrades are best for your application. The reason we suggest this model over the standard type rebuild for the factory supercharged cars is due to the higher output of the supercharged engines in stock form. The 4T65E has basically no internal calibration changes between all of its models and options so this means that a transmission that was built for a 180HP engine is the same setup from the factory found behind the 300+HP LS4 5.3 V8 engine equipped vehicles. PCM/TCM tuning has a lot of effect on how these transmissions work and also has a direct effect on shift firmness and feel since the line pressure and shift points are controlled electrically and this is what helps make this transmission very versatile from the factory but has its limitations in the performance world. Many of the early High Performance rebuilds that we did were built to work with a 100% stock pcm tune and the result was a much quicker and firmer shifting transmission and not having to heavily rely on an aggressive tune. This works well for vehicles with stock to moderate buildups while higher HP setups will require custom pcm/tcm tuning for best results. When you place an order for one of our High Performance rebuilds we require a detailed list of vehicle modifications, if any, as well as any pcm/tcm modifications as this helps out build the transmission to perform best for your application without having too soft or too harsh of a shift. Below is a list of basic list of what goes into these rebuilds.

-Thorough inspection during dissassembly
-Any questionable or excessively worn hardpart is replaced
-Hardened 4th clutch shaft
-New Morse HyVo HV-093 V8 spec Gemini chain set
-Seals, gaskets, orings, and teflon sealing rings
-New USA made filter
-Borg Warner clutch plates and modified clutch stackup for improved shift feel
-Raybestos Zpack 3rd clutch set now standard in ALL High Performance rebuilds. Effective 1-01-11
-SPECIAL NOTICE!!!- The 4T60/65E Zpack was discontinued by Raybestos on 3-14-11.
We will continue to use this product until we are out of stock
*OUT OF STOCK*
-High Energy style 3rd friction plates will be used in place of Zpack frictions as they are discontinued
-New Forward apply band
-New thrust washers
-Common failure bushings replaced, others inspected and replaced as needed
-New stator support bearing
-Select bearings replaced standard, others inspected and replaced as needed
-New aftermarket input sun gear
-Reconditioned input clutch piston
All new solenoids in valve body including
-Borg Warner PCS for 97-02, OE AC Delco/Bosch for 03+ model years
-Borg Warner TCC PWM solenoid
-OE AC Delco shift solenoids
-Pressure switch manifold cleaned and tested, replaced as needed
-Wiring harness thoroughly tested and replaced as needed
-Sonnax Sure-Cure kit which includes these upgraded parts
-TCC apply valve
-TCC regulated apply valve
-TCC relief valve
-Improved boost valve and sleeve
-AFL valve and sleeve
-Lube tube retainer, improved check *****, pump slide pivot pin
-New for 2011+ rebuilds! Oversized Sonnax Torque Signal valve on more aggressive buildups

-Transgo Shift Kit- We slightly modify this kit for improved high throttle shift feel on modified cars as well as
make a few other changes internally to quicken and firm up shift feel. The extra modifications alone make a
very significant difference in shift feel and keep clutch packs alive under high powered abuse. We set up
every transmission different to best match the vehicle it will be installed in and this is why we must have
your specific vehicle details as we do not build a one-fits-all model.
-12 Month / 15K mile warranty on ALL High Performance rebuilds! Effective on all orders placed after 3-06-11

For vehicles that are in the 280-300whp+ range there are a few upgrades that we suggest depending on your mod list, what type of tires you use and if you race the car, and if it is a daily driver or a limited use track or play toy. Below are the common upgrades that we suggest for the higher powered builds and we will help you select which ones you do and do not need.
-Upgraded input shaft +$449.99
The stock input shaft works well in lower powered applications but once your start getting into the
280-300whp range it becomes a major weak link and when it breaks it will leave you stranded.
Vehicle weight also has an effect on the input shaft and different vehicles will put more or less stress on this part
-7/8" Drive chain upgrade +$299.95
The 4T65E in stock form uses a dual chain setup which is referred to as the Gemini chain set. The stock chains
that came in the V6 models are the weakest form and can show their problems on a wide range of power levels
though they often survive into the lower 300whp ranges and driving habbits, abuse, racing, tires have a large
effect on their durability. In 2005 when the LS4 5.3 V8 engine was used in a few vehicles using the 4T65E
transmission a slightly stronger chain was installed and has proven to be a bit stronger and resist fatigue better
than its predecessor so we use this chain in our Base High Perf builds, but for those looking to make 325+whp and
or also make often trips to the dragstrip with drag radials or slicks on the car we strongly suggest the 7/8" chain
upgrade as this will take much more abuse than the stock dual chain setup. The 7/8" single chain upgrade will
work well on cars making upwards of 400+whp and over that it too can be a weak link and special care and
maintenance should be considered. Unfortunately as of now there is no longer a stronger option than this.
GM Racing offered a special 1" wide single chain set that was rated to 800+ HP but was discontinued and no longer
available. We are looking into a solution for a stronger upgrade as are a few other companies as if and when
a next-step-up offering is available we will add that also.

-Custom 12 Clutch 3rd Clutch pack +$124.95

*OUT OF STOCK*

We spent a lot of time working on this upgrade and is highly recommonded for use in all builds making 350whp
and higher power levels, ESPECIALLY turbo builds that are producing over 400whp. 3rd clutch has always been a
concern area of this transmission and requires special attention on the high powered cars as does the tune.
There are a number of different style clutch plates out there for this transmission and the bottom line is this.....
NO clutch will live if the transmission and pcm/tcm are not properly set up to handle higher power levels.
-Precision reman torque converter matched to your vehicle (Base version ONLY!! Contact us for details)

-Custom built per application Precision Industries torque converter with custom designed billet cover with dual bolt pattern, see our Torque Converters page in the parts section for more info +$799.95

not sure if im going to have the funds for the extras towards the bottom... well i wont be getting the extras until i get the whole engine kit from wot-tech lol

HERE IS SOME MORE INFORMATION

Core Fee Information-

If you are purchasing a rebuilt transmission from us and cannot send yours in to rebuild up front then there will be a Core Fee added to the cost of the transmission rebuild. The Core Fee is used to cover the cost of a core transmission that we have or need to aquire so we can build the appropriate model transmission for your vehicle. Below are typical costs for this fee.

-4T65E Standard Duty transmission, V6 only, 1997-2004 $300

-4T65E Standard Duty transmission, V6 only, 2005+ $400

-4T65E-HD Heavy Duty transmission, V6 only, 1997-2004 (NON-Tapshift) $350

-4T65E-HD Heavy Duty transmission, V6 only, 2005+ (NON-Tapshift) $400

-4T65E-HD Heavy Duty transmission, 2004+ V6 Grand Prix w/Tapshift $450

-4T65E-HD Heavy Duty transmission,
2005+ LS4 V8 Grand Prix w/Tapshift **** Please contact us
(Cost can very depending on availability)

-4T65E-HD Heavy Duty transmission,
2006+ LS4 V8 Impala SS / Monte Carlo SS **** Please contact us
(Cost can very depending on availability)

-4T65EV and 4T65EV/GT Volvo model, 1999-2005, $TBD
We currently require to have your original transmission to rebuild.
Cores are very difficult to locate and expensive.

After you recieve your rebuilt transmission from us whether we ship one to you or you pick it up directly from us you will have 30 days to return your core for a refund. We refund whichever funding source you originally paid for the transmission with typically within a few days of recieving the core and inspecting it for any damage.

Below are the major concern areas that we inspect for damage when we recieve a core back from a customer and also the deduction from the refund if found to be damaged.

These fees also apply to transmissions that we recieve for a rebuild. For example if you ship us or drop off your transmission or vehicle and we find this damage during dissassembly these items below are not covered as a standard replacement item during the rebuild and will be an extra cost in addition to the rebuild.

-Transmission case,
1997-2004 V6 Case, -$100 from refund if found damaged
2005+ V6 Case, -$150 from refund if found damaged
2005+ LS4 V8 Case, -$300 from refund if found damaged

We inspect the entire external appearance of the case for damage. If ANY cracks are found visable on the transmission case it will require being repaired or replaced and the refund will be deducted the amounts listed above accordingly.

-Differential / Final Drive,
1997+ Standard Duty differential, -$100 from refund if found damaged
1997+ HD/Heavy Duty differential, -$150 from refund if found damaged
1997+ Volvo and AWD style differential, TBD at time of repair

The Differentials / Final Drives used in the 4T65E transmissions are durable but do have their weaknesses.

ANY amount of one-wheel burnouts is very hard on the spider gears and cross pin of the differential and can cause damage in a matter of seconds. If the cross pin has spun in the diff case then it needs replaced and the cost of this item will be deducted from the refund.

Another problem found can be planet and sun gear damage, which is the side of the differential that goes into the transmission to transmit power. If the planet or sun gears are found to be chewed up and badly damaged this is also a cause for replacement and will be deducted from the refund

-Differential Tail Housing / Cover,
1997+ Standard Duty, -$35
1997+ HD / Heavy Duty, -$50

Though this part is often reusable even when slightly damaged it may require replacement. If the vehicle was in a wreck this part is prone to cracking. If the differential cross pin has spun in the diff case it will work its way out over time and grind its way through the tail housing until fluid leaks out and causes more damage. In either scenario it is unusable and will be deducted from the refund.

-Transmission Side Cover,
1997+ All GM Models, -$75

The side cover is not something common to find in bad condition, BUT if the vehicle has had prior repair to the transmission then there is a possibility of a crack being on the lower right hand side just above the second torx bolt from the far right. The molded metal gasket that goes under the side cover does not have extra support in this area and the side cover is prone to cracking here. If this is found damaged it will be deducted from the refund.

all from < www.tripleedgeperformance.com >

Last edited by superrod29; 04-16-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:56 PM

Superrod29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01 Monte SS View Post
Any idea when you'll be getting one? I'm leaning towards TEP as I start to mod more. Just curious as to how it will work out, total cost, etc. Keep us posted as you get more info. and purchase one.

I will probably go TEP next year after a few mods I'll kill my stock trans first of course and make lots of videos (maybe only one haha), it would only be right
well it will be very soon. once i sell my truck im going to get this. i cant keep driving my car like this :/ my stock trans is so &$*%ed right now that i can barely even go up a hill if i dont put the transmission into first on the shifter. its bad... just did a fluid filter change and i had lucas stop slip in it but unfortunatly i didnt put it in this time so yes. its bad. i was going up a slight incline and i couldnt even get any power to the wheels. that lucas stop slip works great but is a huge bandaid. and im probably going to get the transmission this week.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:10 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010

Send a message via AIM to Enzo354

Just wondering, but why are you putting a street/strip motor into your car? Do you plan on modding it?
Old 04-16-2012, 01:10 PM

Tags
4t65e, add, address, edge, geminis, match, parts, perfect, performance, powered, shift, tap, transmission, transmissions, triple, upgrade, vbulletin