Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Trans cooler installed !

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 07:11 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default Trans cooler installed !

Thanks to turbo and a lot of help from ls1 forums I got my trans cooler installed, oh and bumpin helped too! I didn't write down a guide for it but I can def feel a difference within my ls4, the take offs are a lot smoother, the shifts at firm and smooth, and it doesn't do that weird shudder thing anymore. I installed it directly to the trans, ironically I bought all the fittings first, then none of them worked so I was screwed, but the double ****** fittings and the fact I bought extra hose helped a bunch! Will bring in a couple pics soon.

I recommend every ls4 do this 0___0

Old 10-04-2015, 11:26 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Glad it worked out for ya and I was able to help!

Old 10-05-2015, 01:09 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Nice, I agree, that's an upgrade your tranny is begging for you to do. Happy it's performing well for you.

TurboMonte is one of the VERY knowledgable members on this forum as are a handful of others like Bumpin. They will get you there if it can be done.

I run 3 tranny coolers, 2 Earl's and the factory one. LOL, Mr. Overkill here.

Old 10-05-2015, 07:42 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Thanks again turbo and damn three zip ? o___o! I figured since my car is basically still stock minus tune and exhaust, the b&m unit that turbo has should be more than suffiencent. Plus ironically the only way I found that I liked running the wires was by the radiator and they ended up by the driver fender wall, right where the return line and the other line for the tranny is, at the bottom for ls4s, so I was like eff it I'll run stand alone since it's technically better, I have a cooler than can do it, and I'm already down there ahah. I can deff tell the difference, I just don't know how to tell my temps without the code reader things lol

Old 10-05-2015, 07:45 AM
10 Year Member

Get an aeroforce scan gauge to monitor trans temps along with everything else. These gauges are awesome!

Old 10-05-2015, 08:37 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

I got to work and saw trans fluid from the car, checked the meter and says still full, even after going through all the gears . I had to tighten the ends yesterday's I'm wondering if it could be the rest from the radiator..

Old 10-05-2015, 12:28 PM
10 Year Member

Possibly leaking out of it since it's disconnected if you didn't plug it

Old 10-05-2015, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Hiroska
Thanks to turbo and a lot of help from ls1 forums I got my trans cooler installed, oh and bumpin helped too! I didn't write down a guide for it but I can def feel a difference within my ls4, the take offs are a lot smoother, the shifts at firm and smooth, and it doesn't do that weird shudder thing anymore. I installed it directly to the trans, ironically I bought all the fittings first, then none of them worked so I was screwed, but the double ****** fittings and the fact I bought extra hose helped a bunch! Will bring in a couple pics soon.

I recommend every ls4 do this 0___0
Where'd you buy the TC from?

Old 10-05-2015, 03:10 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Well I kept it plug and cut the rubber hose connection so I suspected it from there but it wasn't it was from the cooler connections. The cheap cable clamp things they had in the set was horrible so I used the extras I had from napa and went back in, rerouted the hoses and remounted it. I found a nice solid area in front of the radiator but at least 3-4 inches away from it using the hood pole. I'm able to close my hood and the cooler is securely mounted. So far so good...

And I got it from Amazon, I did next day shipping so it of course got there easily. If you need a guide I can show you what I did, reading the guides I didn't fully understand but when I got under there, I understood perfectly, which made me do the single line install. I washed out all the old tranny fluid with the hose and made sure everything was secure