Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Tranny service-To flush or not to flush???

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 11:15 AM
Question Tranny service-To flush or not to flush???

Just got an 03 SS with 87k old guy miles..mint shape but im wondering if i should do a tranny fluid chage flush now or let it go as i hear that causes them to go when the old clutch material is drained..dip stick is not red but not burnt and i did notice some fine grime on it..shifts fine,no tow or anything like that...any thoughts??

Old 09-30-2009, 11:33 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

This was already answered in another thread, no need to open a new one.

You should drop the pan, and get a new filter + fluid.

If it's not pink, change it.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:37 PM

Im looking for other opinions if that is ok

Old 10-02-2009, 01:03 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

In case you did not see my other post...Drop the pan and change the filter. Do it now, before it is to late. Its normal for the fluid to turn a dark redish brown color, especially with 87K on it. I would change it NOW!

Also, only do a pan and filter change, that will change about half the fluid, which is probably a good thing since it has not ever been changed that you know of...

Do NOT take it in for a "flush"

Old 10-02-2009, 01:04 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- May 2009
15 Year Member

x2.

at 87,000 its about time depending on if you know the service records. my thing is, anytime i buy a used car I do a fluid flush...so i know where my records start. easier in the long run, plus you dont have to think about it.

drop the pan and change the filter, and if the fluid isnt pink it gets swapped.
remember that the gasket is reusable, dont buy a new one.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:52 AM

Whoa take it easy BS -I thought this was a forum..You know where people share their own ideas and opinions freely?? I have your opinion 2x now- and Thankyou

However the SS owners manual says to do it at 50k (IF) its a hard service vehicle/taxi/hilly areas etc.

It says to do it at 100k if none of the above are present which is the case..the vehicle was meticuisly mantained by original owner as I know him.
Most times problem is finding the right shop to trust..If there is any?( lol ) Im not that mechanically inclined to do it myself..
And I guess if not done right water or other contaniments or even the wrong fluid could be introduced..dont want that..
Its hard to fix what aint broke..and what the real facts are when it comes to this project..
Especially when its a 2-3k repair item..

Old 10-02-2009, 11:15 AM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

By BS, are you referring to BlackSheep?

Old 10-02-2009, 11:20 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ashleymc34
Whoa take it easy BS -I thought this was a forum..You know where people share their own ideas and opinions freely?? I have your opinion 2x now- and Thankyou
?????

Old 10-02-2009, 01:47 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- May 2009
15 Year Member

i was thinking the same thing blacksheep, what did you say to offend??

if your asking for our opinions they are there, if your going by the book and already made a decision.....why ask in the first place?

Old 10-02-2009, 01:57 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

I'm a little lost on this too...I wrote the samething in two different threads, just trying to be nice since the question got asked in two different threads.

Apparently our opinion is not what was wanted...you asked for our opinion, yet your telling us what the manual says. Trust me, all of us are well aware of what out owners manuals say. But we are also well aware of what will help your transmission last longer, so we are trying to help you out, and give you good advice. We are recommending that you change your fluid now, because 87K without a change is on the high side. I certainly would never let my cars tranny fluid go that long without being changed. That is why I along with the others are giving you our OPINION, which you asked for. Change the fluid now, it would be a good thing for your transimission.

Quick Reply: Tranny service-To flush or not to flush???