Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

To tranny flush or not?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 12:10 AM

I was thinking about doing a complete flush, but I'm nearing 100K and have never flushed it. A place by my house said they check it first to make sure it's okay to flush, otherwise gaskets and such will be damaged. I was going to take it there, they seem very trustworthy.

Old 08-06-2015, 12:44 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

with that high of mileage DONT flush the trans..... to a basic trans pan drop/ fluid/ filter change and thats it

Old 08-11-2015, 12:22 PM

That's what I'm thinking about doing, but I really would like to get all the old fluid out. It didn't smell burnt when I checked it, and it didn't look like it was black. Really wish I would've paid more attention to car maintenance when I was younger instead of making it look pretty. Good thing is I haven't had any tranny issues, and I never did any rough driving, I'm just trying to make sure it runs another 100K.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by turbo monte
with that high of mileage DONT flush the trans..... to a basic trans pan drop/ fluid/ filter change and thats it
I'm at about 92k in my 07 and I'm contemplating whether or not I wanna flush the tranny. I have no idea whatsoever if the previous owner ever did any transmission maintenence. Is there any way to really find out or should I just not flush it?

Also, I contacted a chevy dealer and I'm probably going to let them take care of it however all this "to flush or not to flush" honestly naked me a bit nervous about the way they do it. How can I check to see that they do it the "correct" way?

Old 09-09-2015, 10:50 PM

I just did a pan drop and filter change. Runs even smoother now, and I wasn't having any problems prior.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:54 AM

I just did my tranny a couple of months ago for the second time since new at 111K, and used the new Castrol fluid. The tranny runs as smooth as silk. I replaced the Valvoline I used before and it feels like it shifts better now.

Old 09-10-2015, 05:25 PM

Yup, I used the Castrol Dexron VI. I can barely feel the shift. It was on sale when I got it too, so I paid $32 for 8 quarts.

Old 02-22-2016, 05:27 PM

Sooo just rolled over 120k, seems to shift great when its cold-warming up, but when its warmed up it shifts almost lazy? I want to do a pan/filter and a TransGo kit.

Old 09-07-2016, 05:07 AM

for the most part if a person wants to do a flush. do a pan drop first to get any gunk out and away from the pan magnet also change the filter. but there is a chance that the fluid in the torque needs to cycle threw. best is to drop pan change filter run the car normally. find a shop that would drop the pan and change the filter before hooking the machine that changes the fluid. to make sure the filter will catch any thing before the fluid going through the trans. it is pretty much like hooking up a machine to the engine to change out the oil with out changing the filter. to do it right drop pan first and change filter before thinking about a flush. to make sure no gunk runs through any thing

Old 03-29-2017, 06:40 AM
Angry 05 monte carlo gpoes into long shift form first to second

sorry im new here n dont ko how to make my own thread but i did tranny flush in my 05 3.4 ls and now i jave the long shift from first to second ive been told i canonly use an 05 tranny and im wondering if i can rebuild the one i have or do i shell out the 600 for new one

Quick Reply: To tranny flush or not?