Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

To tranny flush or not?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 02:02 PM

if your going to keep the car... replace the screen every 30-35k; otherwise, if your wait until 100k and flush, you'll start leaking... just replaced trans on 06 ss and this is advice that was given to me by "THE MAN"! He's been building transmissions for ever!

Old 02-23-2011, 02:06 AM

Ok, I'm new and don't own my Monte Carlo yet... but I'm about to buy a 1996 Z34 with only 139,000 miles on it! The current (soon to be previous) says it runs great, starts fast, and shifts smooth. My father had the same car before... different color and seats weren't leather. Eventually, his overdrive started slipping really badly. I've heard the transmission in these cars isn't good... but after reading this thread I think I am going to beg to differ. I'm no mechanic, but know alot more than any average joe by far. I don't have any real tools, but have some mechanic friends. I've heard on this car it's hard to drop the pan because to put it back on you have to align it JUST RIGHT or you'll leak and ruin the seal. So... here's my deal... Should I drop my pan and flush it... and what about the fluid in the torue converter? and the zip ties... does anyone have that picture that could email it to cjmanningiii@hotmail.com? And is my generation not popular? Or is it just because it's old now but not yet a classic... because I've noticed there aren't many people on this forum that have this generation car.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:34 PM
Dak

would it be a bad idea to run royal purple max-atf? i see that dexron VI is recommended, but i have a few bottles of the royal purple in my garage

Old 03-20-2011, 02:27 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I would change ALL the tranny fluid...and filter. And as recommended by many others The Dex VI level or equivalent is the only way to go. Redline makes a DEX VI level tranny fluid. Royal Purple does not.
By the way nice to see another 02 SS on here....

Old 03-20-2011, 02:31 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Royal Purple MAX ATF is just fine for your tranny if your not really trying to push if hard all the time. When you start to really race it and always push it you really need to step up to the DEX VI level ....IMO. I run the Redline DEX VI Tranny in my tranny.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:40 AM

So I went to take my '07 or an oil change for the first time since I bought it used last Nov. After the mechanic is done he tells me to "keep an eye out on the tranny" with no further explination...does something go bad on them? Thanks in advance

Old 04-13-2011, 11:43 AM

Also, 1 more question, is it bad to open the power steering cap when the car is on? Whenever I press the gas pedal my car makes a weird sound and they told me it was something that got opened while the car was on, but i can't remember what it was...for some reason power steering sticks in my head...

Old 02-27-2012, 11:11 AM
Question

Originally Posted by Justin Knight
for anyone that is going to change the fluid or flush the tranny fluid
1. dexron VI is great fluid.
2. there is a gm TSB about the magnets regarding placement and use of 2 in the pan and a different kind of magnet also.
3. flushing is only good if the trans was neglected and burnt the fluid or is contaminated with something else.
4. if the re-usable gasket isn't still on the car, get one they are the best.
5. DO NOT PUT Lucas trans fix or any other fix-it in a bottle in there if you want it to last.
6. there are 3 steel lines inside the pan, use a small hammer and lightly tap them into the respective attaching points tighter than they were, then use plastic zip ties of good quality and strength and tie them together tightly and cut the excess so it doesn't interfere with the filter. where the 3 go into the casing wrap only 2 lines together but do all 3.

the last step is to prevent the tubes from coming loose which will decrease line pressure causing slips, poor lubrication and overheating of solenoids. for anyone who says a 4t65 is a weak transmission they are wrong, they fail because of these tubes getting loose thats about all.

I'll bet everyone is going to do a trans service real soon now after knowing what i just told you all.

I know that this is an older thread but I tried to email Justinknight and said it was a fail..
Anyways here is my ?.

Hi I would like to see the pictures that you refer to while doing the tranny. This is the 1st Tranny fluid change to my knowledge. have had the car since 85,xxx now at 128,xxx.
Will the following work well for a tranny fluid change:
1.AC Delco filter
2.Mobil 1 ATF, Is it ok that it is good for all, or should I get a fluid Dexron VI only or is there a less expensive that works just as well?
3.Felpro gasket
4.Permatex Automatic Transmission RTV Sealant.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Bait
I know that this is an older thread but I tried to email Justinknight and said it was a fail..
Anyways here is my ?.

Hi I would like to see the pictures that you refer to while doing the tranny. This is the 1st Tranny fluid change to my knowledge. have had the car since 85,xxx now at 128,xxx.
Will the following work well for a tranny fluid change:
1.AC Delco filter
2.Mobil 1 ATF, Is it ok that it is good for all, or should I get a fluid Dexron VI only or is there a less expensive that works just as well?
3.Felpro gasket
4.Permatex Automatic Transmission RTV Sealant.
Yes, the pictures would be nice! If someone can send them to me, I can surely get them added to the thread.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:14 PM

Gonna be doing a pan drop/filter change this weekend. About how many quarts of trans fluid will I need to fill it back up?

Quick Reply: To tranny flush or not?