Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

To tranny flush or not?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 09:05 PM

I've got an 04 Monte SS w/ 160,000 miles on it. Bought it with 52,000 miles on it a few years ago.

Never have changed the tranny fluid at all and still shifts and drives like a brand new car.

I change my oil with Mobil 5W30 every 4-5K and engine still runs like a champ.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:09 PM

Its very common for these tubes to be loose and it will shift fine but it could be starving the final gears for oil pressure and heating it up more than it should be. It doesn't happen to em all but when it does go buy a transmission. I have final drive differential from a 4t60 in my tool box that I show people and it was from my fiances car that the tube was easily removed by 2 fingers. A 4t60 and 4t65e are nearly identical and look the same inside the pan.

On a professionals recommendation I would service the transmission in your car if you havn't done it since you've owned it.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:19 PM

So i can use dexron vi in a 6th generation monte? I think mine is due for a trans fluid change and what about additives i have been using lucas trans fix for years i never had a problem but are they safe???

Old 05-20-2010, 09:38 PM

so i did a trans service in a '02 gp and performed my little tech trick on it and the trans shifted firm and clean afterwards (it was harsh and unpredictable before). i took pictures this time for the benifit of everyone who asked at the price of my iphone getting kinda dirty. hope they download well and if you have ever seen inside the trans pan you will know what your looking at. if you've never then read what i have posted on this thread and fix your trans problem before it starts.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:40 PM

okay not sure why that didn't work... i'm a computer dummy so just email me and i will email you back the pics. jtk030704@hotmail.com

Old 06-22-2010, 06:52 PM

imageshack.us all your pics, much easier than using unstable forum hosting sites.

this thread was very helpful to me, i'm new to cars and am tryingt o learn more about them, and i've heard these cars have blown trannys in under 40k miles, so that really worrys me :|

Old 09-27-2010, 08:03 PM

ok. just read this. i bought my 03 monte with around 40,000 miles. didnt know anything so i figured a flush would be a good idea, i regret that now from reading up on it. im around 80,000 now and just the other day had felt a hard shift for the first time. or at least i think it was. since it was already flushed once regretably, whats the next best course of action?i drove it today with no problems at all. when i stopped at my destination i checked an the fluid seems a bit low and had some bubbles in it..advice?

Old 11-17-2010, 04:49 PM

Justin Knight,

What do you think about Red Line D4 ATF? That is what someone recommended for my 04 Supercharged SS. I think it is awesome stuff, but is it as good as Dextron 6?

Old 11-17-2010, 05:32 PM

hay silver1 did you drop the pan and change the filter? if so pu it on ramps and see if you have fluid around the pan and you might have a leak. if there is no leak there check your lines and see if there is any tutch of fluid on them if not you might have been running a bit low on fluid. just make sure you have your monte is running when you put more in it will work out the air bubles better that way. when you put some in go to the gas station double check it and see if you need to add anouther again. it will help push the air out of it.

Old 11-18-2010, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by hollf1
Hello, I have a 2002 Monte Carlo SS. I have just under 50,000 miles on it. I treat the car like it is my baby and do oil changes every 5,000 miles with synthetic oil.

Anyways, I was wondering if it was a good idea to do a tranny flush on my car. I been reading how a tranny flush can be beneficial to your car and how it can also damage the tranny. Please advise if I should do it or not. Thanks!!
Just like a car isn't a car, a tranny flush isn't a tranny flush. Meaning they aren't all the same. There are two different types of tranny flushes, one of them they don't even drop the pan, don't get that one done. I think the other one is called a cooler line flush, they drop the pan and connect a machine to something in there once the pan is dropped....that's the safer of the two and more thorough of the two, but also the more expensive and harder to find of the two. But if you're gonna do it, that would be the way to go.

Quick Reply: To tranny flush or not?