Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Still having issues after changing spark plugs.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 06:10 PM
Default Still having issues after changing spark plugs.

I've been on this forum for a while, signed up, but not sure I ever really asked much on here... anyway, here is my long winded explanation as to what is going on.

First of all I have a 1996 Monte Carlo Z34 3.4L DOHC automatic.

Driving along a week ago my car did a little bit of sputtering and started making a noise that I can only compare to a garden sprinkler. My check engine light which was one started to blink at me, no specific pattern just a consistent blinking. I drove the car home, and the next day I took it to Autozone to hook up to the computer (Midas was going to charge me $85 for a computer diagnostic).
When hooked up I got 3 error codes:
-P0303-Cylinder misfire detected-cylinder number 3.
-P1441-EVAP system flow during non-purge condition.
-P0441-EVAP (evaporative emission system) small leak/no flow condition.

I was told that P0303 was a spark plug issue, so after numerous hours trying to figure out how to remove the Plenum to get to the rear spark plugs (which is where 1, 3, and 5 are located) I finally got under there and changed them out. The gap in the manual, and that autozone told me to set was .060, so those three are changed and in place. I put the Plenum back together and reconnected all the things I had to disconnect. I started the car up and I had a clicking noise when I turned the key, then it started up. Sounded good off the start, but after running for a few minutes it started making the noise I had before I changed out all the spark plugs. Feel like I've wasted an entire weekend now with doing this, and having no good result in the end.

I am by no means a mechanic, and will never claim to be, but I do have the smarts to figure out how to fix something if it will cost me $1000 at a garage or I can buy the parts and do it myself for $100.

I kind of feel like a fool for not changing out the spark plug wires, but after inspecting them they all seemed to be in perfect working condition, so I didn't feel it was completely necessary.

So after all this work I'm right back to where I was before I started, and the CEL is still flashing at me.

Any hints, ideas, suggestions, tips, or anything are greatly appreciated.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:59 AM

the flashing means misfires. since the code told you it is #3 chances are there is still a problem.

1) the gap these plugs should be at is .047" .060 is too big and a misprint on some information that is out there. also i recommend autolite 104 plugs as these engines run lean and need a colder plug even in stock form.

2) wires it sounds like the wires could be at fault. they are cheap from autozone.

3) to test the coil packs just move them around. # 3 is running of the middle coil pack. so swap that coil pack with the front pack. i

4)f the misfire moves to #5 then the coil pack is bad. if the misfire stays on #3 then my next recommendation is to do a compression check.

NOW the evap code... most likely there is a vacuum leak at the evap either coming up and to the solenoids or from them to the TB.

where are you located? if you are in the area i can give you a hand with it.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:09 PM

autolite 104, ap104 or app104? and are those OEM? and what gap do they come at?

Autolite 104=copper

Autolite ap104=single platinum

Autolite app104=double platinum

Old 02-01-2013, 01:10 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm calling for a bad fuel pressure regulator.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:21 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by PacerSS
I'm calling for a bad fuel pressure regulator.
I agree....(good call Mike)
You did fail to mention how many miles are on this vehicle...
In line with a fuel pressure rgulator..That could also possibly be leading to a bad fuel pump..Whether you realize it or not..
Running it all the way down to empty is the worst thing you can do when it comes to fuel pressure. Then it ends up picking up all the settement
and residuals and begins to clog the pump. Which makes it have to work even harder to maintain fuel pressure. Thus, burning out the fuel pump.
Something to consider. On a vehicle thats a 1996...
Id go to auto zone and rent a fuel pressure gauge and check to see what the fuel pressure actually is and go from there...

Last edited by STUMPMI; 02-01-2013 at 07:26 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:50 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Umm now I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure #3 is on the front bank of that engine. At least in most of the other transverse mounted V6's I've seen it is.