Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

SS M90 Installation on 2003 Monte Carlo SS Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 12:41 PM

I could see that- talking peak power. What makes the biggest difference in regular driving though is that it's making more power now throughout the RPMs- the power band is significantly fatter and the mid-range and top-end is way better. The car always had decent "grunt" down-low- now it has better "grunt" and it continues to pull, whereas prior to the installation it would fall on it's face.

Once I get a half-decent exhaust on it and a cold air intake (my IATs are insane right now), I should be able to run a little more timing and pick up an honest 10-15 more HP over where it's at right now, too.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:52 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If you ever did the NA build, once you did a set of rockers and the HV3 you got your top-end.

Old 05-14-2011, 02:06 PM

Is it possible to buy an Eaton blower from clubgp and have zzp or someone port it to the l36 ss m90 specifications? Would it be any cheaper than just buying the $960 blower that zzp offers already ported and modified for the install? What about the fuel logs? Does anyone ever sell those in good condition?

Old 06-11-2011, 07:59 PM

Yes, you can make a regular old M90 work with the SS M90 kit. You would need to run ZZP's MPS hub along with an SS M90 specific pulley. You will NOT need to port the blower- ZZP probably just does this to charge more (and to get you to buy their SS intercooler, which is conveniently matched to the ported blower).

You may need to grind some material from the lower mounting "legs" on the outside of the blower housing to clear the fuel injectors- no big deal.

You do need the SS M90 fuel logs as far as I know, since the injectors with the SS M90 kit are housed in the lower intake manifold and not the cylinder heads. These are pretty rare used, unfortunately.

Sorry for the late response- I never check this forum. Hit up ClubGP for better responses.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:58 AM

So I could just buy a regular m90 blower and put it on there? I thought ZZP ports the blower for some kind of special air flow.. but they just port it to fit the fuel logs on the outside?

The late response is okay. Atleast you did respond

Old 06-12-2011, 11:03 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I thought the porting was for KR since you are mating this to a high compression block.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:44 PM

they need to get on the ball and make something like this for the 3.9
I doubt that's ever gonna happen. Only reason they do it for the 3800's is because it was offered as a factory option (ie L67)- so there is no designing adapter plates or any tough engineering- GM already did all the work, and the SC's already are 100% bolt on (zzp just uses some specialty parts to save install time so you don't have to swap heads or balancers). For it to work on the 60* engines, you'd need a custom fabbed adapter plate, and as can be seen from the Animul whipple kits for the L67's- that's not as easy as it sounds.

Is it possible to buy an Eaton blower from clubgp and have zzp or someone port it to the l36 ss m90 specifications? Would it be any cheaper than just buying the $960 blower that zzp offers already ported and modified for the install? What about the fuel logs? Does anyone ever sell those in good condition?
People sell rails on clubgp pretty often. The bad thing is the full aftermarket rails (ie zzp or prj) don't ever seem to go for super cheap.

It sounds like you're trying to save money on the project- have you thought about just doing a traditional top swap? It is more work, but you'd save a good bit of money too (especially with some of the dirt cheap setups going through clubgp lately).

The only thing I'm unhappy about is that they sent me the wrong PCM (mixed up mine with another order), and aren't going to ship the right one to me until tommorow- I asked them to ship it overnight, but we'll see if they actually do. I think it's the LEAST they could do, since the error was on their part.
Unfortunately they seem to mix up pcm's a lot. We just had a guy on the local forums get the wrong pcm too. The bad thing is, there is no way to really tell for the average person until you hook it up and drive it/start it. I've always wondered how many minor mix ups they've had where they got two pcms switched that were close enough that the cars ran and the owners couldn't tell- but weren't actually what the person ordered.

Old 06-12-2011, 01:40 PM

It sounds like you're trying to save money on the project- have you thought about just doing a traditional top swap? It is more work, but you'd save a good bit of money too (especially with some of the dirt cheap setups going through clubgp lately).

I was first thinking about doing a full top swap. However, my parent don't want me taking me engine all apart because I haven't really done much cars before. I figure, I want more power, without having to take apart my engine. Then I found the SSM90 kit. It's perfect. 2-8 hours of work will get me more power and I don't have to swap the whole top half.

ZZP is trying to charge $960 for a ported blower, which I think is COMPLETELY ridiculous. So I've been searching around for a blower off of clubgp or somewhere to buy for cheap and just send in the blower for porting (which I'm not even sure is necessary anymore). I've seen some decent power come from the kit, so that's what I'm trying to go for.

Old 06-12-2011, 03:17 PM

So I could just buy a regular m90 blower and put it on there? I thought ZZP ports the blower for some kind of special air flow.. but they just port it to fit the fuel logs on the outside?
Yep. You'd need the SS M90 lower intake manifold, extra idler pulley and ignition coil bracket, SS M90 MPS hub and pulley, bigger belt, and fuel rails. Then you may have to clearance the outside of the blower case like I mentioned. I'm not sure offhand though.

I thought the porting was for KR since you are mating this to a high compression block.
Nah.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:32 PM

I was first thinking about doing a full top swap. However, my parent don't want me taking me engine all apart because I haven't really done much cars before. I figure, I want more power, without having to take apart my engine. Then I found the SSM90 kit. It's perfect. 2-8 hours of work will get me more power and I don't have to swap the whole top half.
Have you ran the idea of a ssM90 kit by them yet? I'd show them everything that gets replaced and so on so they're ok with it before you get halfway through buying parts and they don't want you to do it.

If they have a hard time with that- how about buying a used turbo kit? You don't open up the engine at all really with one of those, and if you factor in that $1000 blower and $500 rails- I'd bet it would be the same price give or take a little.

They do offer that 4.2" pulley- I'd think with premium fuel, and the 4.2", most people would probably be OK on KR with an otherwise stock engine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SS M90 Installation on 2003 Monte Carlo SS Thread