Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

SS M90 Installation on 2003 Monte Carlo SS Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 12:21 PM
Default SS M90 Installation on 2003 Monte Carlo SS Thread

So I installed a the ZZP SS M90 supercharger kit onto my 2003 Monte Carlo SS. The SS had an N/A 3.8L V6 making 205 HP before. I've always really liked the car, except it never had enough power. That should change now. The kit I installed is the "SS M90" kit from ZZP Performance. I've bought all of my Regal parts from them in the past.

The kit included a ported M90 supercharger, ported lower intake manifold, fuel rails, new idler pulley assembly, new tuned PCM, and miscellanious parts. I was very impressed with the fit and finish of the kit. The parts were very clean and well machined. The blower rotors were in perfect shape.

Here's some crappy progress pics I snapped on my cell phone. My buddy took some good pictures with his camera and I'll get him to upload them later.

Here is the Monte Carlo in the garage ready for work to begin:

Here's the N/A 3.8L:

That 200 HP sixer needs some help...maybe this will do it? Here's the Eaton M90 and lower intake manifold ready to jump in the game:

Here's other parts of the SS M90 kit, including the fuel rails, fuel pressure regulator, new idler, bracket, and miscellanious stuff:

Commencing tear down- here's the fail rails, injectors, vacuum lines, and upper intake removed:

...and let's rip that lower intake out too. You'll notice that there's no coolant in the lifter valley as is usually the case when you yank the lower intake. That's because I always hook up a shop vac to the thermostat housing and suck all of the coolant out of the intake, heads, and block before removing a lower. No spun bearings for me.

Looks a little different now, huh? Notice how close the front fuel rails 90* elbow to crossover is to the boost bypass valve. I had to remove some metal from the boost bypass valve bracket to accomodate the front rail. Other than that, the only bitch of the install was that the injector holes on the new manifold were way small compared to the stock manifold, and the injectors were TOUGH to get in. And, of course, ZZP sent me the wrong PCM (confirmed this a few minutes ago- they sent me another customer's PCM- they're sending me the right one now- so THAT's why the car wouldn't start after the install ).

Here's another picture. No fuel leaks, good pressure, no vacuum leaks, and no mechanical problems at all with the install. I think it looks pretty nice now with the billet fuel rails and shiny FPR.

The car starts and drives just fine now, but the stock PCM is NOT setup to deal with boost, and the high level of timing and weak fuel enrichment tables pretty much guarantee the motor will blow if I lay into it. It does idle smooth as silk though. Once I get the tuned PCM into it, it should be fun!

Better pictures too come- maybe a burnout video too once ZZP gets me the right PCM.

Thanks for lookin!

Last edited by 03SS/00GSE/93LX; 08-10-2009 at 12:25 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:33 PM

pretty sweet. . . did you buy all of your parts from zzp?

Old 08-10-2009, 12:42 PM

Yep. The only thing I'm unhappy about is that they sent me the wrong PCM (mixed up mine with another order), and aren't going to ship the right one to me until tommorow- I asked them to ship it overnight, but we'll see if they actually do. I think it's the LEAST they could do, since the error was on their part.

Couple of other thought for those pondering this kit:
During the install I was kind of pizzed about the fuel rail crossover elbow being so close to the boost bypass valve and having to clearance it, but I guess you have to expect small things like this when making major changes to your car. The injector holes in the lower intake from ZZP could probably stand to be a little bit bigger too- the injectors were a ROYAL pain to sink into the lower (I actually froze them in the freezer to contract them before jamming them in- otherwise they just wouldn't go- least I know they aren't coming out anytime soon).

Old 08-10-2009, 02:36 PM

they need to get on the ball and make something like this for the 3.9, enjoy your supercharger. also, how long did it take you to install this

Old 08-10-2009, 02:42 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Looks like you really had no problems that you couldn't handle.

I'm glad to hear it. I hope you have good results with it.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:01 PM

how long did it take you to install this
Not counting waiting for my injectors to freeze in the freezer (3 hours) and hitting my head against the wall when it wouldn't start due to ZZP sending the wrong PCM (another 3 hours of performing the security relearn for the PCM)...4-5 hours of slow work. If I did it again I could probably do it in 1-3 rushing, provided that I prep the injectors before hand and get the RIGHT PCM! LOL

Old 08-10-2009, 04:33 PM

if someone sent me the wrong ANYTHING, it will be shipped out that day and overnighted. you shouldnt of gotten off the phone with them until you heard a straight answer! this wouldnt fit on the newer montes would it?

Old 08-10-2009, 06:36 PM

any chance you could post the link to the kit as this is exactly what i need for my car

Old 08-10-2009, 09:54 PM

if someone sent me the wrong ANYTHING, it will be shipped out that day and overnighted.
That's what they did. It should be here tommorow.

you shouldnt of gotten off the phone with them until you heard a straight answer! this wouldnt fit on the newer montes would it?
Not as far as I know...only for Series II 3800 cars.

any chance you could post the link to the kit as this is exactly what i need for my car
http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...=382&catid=109

Old 08-11-2009, 01:05 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- May 2009
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

my rails are flipped to avoid that boost bypass problem. looks good though, hope you have fun with it. i have, just want to get my tune right next.

Quick Reply: SS M90 Installation on 2003 Monte Carlo SS Thread