Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Spark Plugs keep burning out!

Old 04-09-2008, 09:10 PM
Default Spark Plugs keep burning out!

The spark plugs on my moms 95 Chevy Monte Carlo Z34 keep burning out even after i replace them.

By burning out i mean, the ceramic, the diode and the white piece surrounding the diode keep turning black and the car starts to studder after they get like this. The car does not get WOTed that often, maybe once a week or even that is to much.

The car has had problems with overheating in the past.

Why can these problems keep happening?

Old 04-09-2008, 09:20 PM
Default RE: Spark Plugs keep burning out!

There is a Critically Lean Condition. Actually, a very Dangerous Lean Condition. Running that lean can weld right through the top of an Aluminum Piston Crown. There's a problem with Fuel Delivery.

No mater what you do ... GET THIS PROBLEM SOLVED and Don't runn the car too very long ... check that ... Don't run the car at all until you have gotten down to the core issue and solved the reason that Hole is burning so Lean.

Check ALL the other Plugs; too. You are set-up for doing some serious damage to your engine if you continue to run that Hole that lean. Burn through, burned valve, melted skirt, all those nasty things that can happen from a Critically LEAN Burn. Get on-the-case. Don't sit on it. call the dealer and tell them what you Posted in the Forum and that you were told not to run the car with a Cylinder that's firing so lean its melting Ceramic!

Old 04-09-2008, 09:42 PM

One thing I just noticed, one of the spark plugs has the diode and the top conductor pinched together, so i guess it was igniting or at all igniting, can this damage the coilpack?

Also, I put in another set of spark plugs and tried to turn the car on, and it won't crank for a LOOONG TIME. i hear the starter and its not stopping, the battery is full and ya, any ideas here?

Old 04-12-2008, 04:17 AM

first off, black on the plugs means RICH not lean... lean would be all gray/white from being burned. Black is suit and carbon that isnt burned off of the remaining fuel.

first i would check to make sure your plug wires are good and installed in the correct places.
Next i would make sure all the wires to the coil packs are connected. The 95 DOHC has issues with the ICM (ignition control module) basicly it is what the coil packs connect to. without it there will be no spark. because of the location below the exhaust and the heat there...they dont tend to last long. places like autozone for one can test these i have heard.

so if i understand you right, the engine is turning over, but no start. if that is the case and you already know there is an ignition issue then i would start there. wires, ICM, possibly coil packs...althought they rarely fail.

other issues to look into on any of the DOHC engines are:
-vac leaks. there are a lot of vac lines that can crack with old age and this engine doesnt respond well to them. also the lower intake manifold gaskets leak as well in time...
-a dirty MAF sensor could cause issues too... but not the issue your seeing.
-a colder Tstat. these motors do not like heat, a 180* thermostat isa very good idea.