Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Shift kit worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by xxtheshockerxx
not even that...it just makes the car run so much smoother. one of the best things I have done to my car
Does your car still get the advertised 28MPG highway when DOD is taken out?

Old 04-08-2013, 09:01 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Frosty LS1
Does your car still get the advertised 28MPG highway when DOD is taken out?
no. I average about 22-23 80% highway miles. before I never got the advertised mileage. I got about the same mileage with DoD. I came to the conclusion it is a joke

Old 04-08-2013, 09:13 PM

i definitely got better mileage on the highway with dod but the difference isnt worth dealing with the noise and oil consumption.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:15 PM
1 Year Member

not even that...it just makes the car run so much smoother. one of the best things I have done to my car
The big thing for me is I don't do a lot of highway driving in the first place. I am fortunate enough to live pretty close to where ever I need to go including work which is like 5 minutes away from my house. I think I have gone on the highway 4-5 times since I have had my Monte Carlo and it was only down to the next exit. So I'm never really in a position where DOD even kicks in. How do I go about getting it "turned off"? and how much did it cost you to have it done, or did you do it yourself?

Old 04-08-2013, 09:18 PM
RED DEVIL

Originally Posted by TheMonteMan
i definitely got better mileage on the highway with dod but the difference isnt worth dealing with the noise and oil consumption.
i did alot more in town driving then. I could average a little better on highway miles but like you said...it isnt worth all the other things you deal with.

Originally Posted by iMuf
The big thing for me is I don't do a lot of highway driving in the first place. I am fortunate enough to live pretty close to where ever I need to go including work which is like 5 minutes away from my house. I think I have gone on the highway 4-5 times since I have had my Monte Carlo and it was only down to the next exit. So I'm never really in a position where DOD even kicks in. How do I go about getting it "turned off"? and how much did it cost you to have it done, or did you do it yourself?
I would get it tuned out. you are doing yourself a favor in the long run. You have to get a tune. You can either get Overkill tune like I have or a Diablo tuner. Those are the easiest ways I would say. It cost me $200 for the engine and transmission tune

Old 04-08-2013, 09:23 PM
1 Year Member

i did alot more in town driving then. I could average a little better on highway miles but like you said...it isnt worth all the other things you deal with.

I would get it tuned out. you are doing yourself a favor in the long run. You have to get a tune. You can either get Overkill tune like I have or a Diablo tuner. Those are the easiest ways I would say. It cost me $200 for the engine and transmission tune
I got you, that is something that I had planned on doing at some point. I just didn't know it disabled things like DOD. Did you have it professionally tuned or did you just use one of the scanners

Old 04-08-2013, 09:31 PM
RED DEVIL

Originally Posted by iMuf
I got you, that is something that I had planned on doing at some point. I just didn't know it disabled things like DOD. Did you have it professionally tuned or did you just use one of the scanners
I had it tuned. If you have someone you know with hp tuners they could probably do it too.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:05 PM

no. I average about 22-23 80% highway miles. before I never got the advertised mileage. I got about the same mileage with DoD. I came to the conclusion it is a joke
If you do 100% highway driving, what's the best MPG's your car can get?

In my 3.8 Monte Carlo with the 3.23 gears I averaged 18 city and 28 highway, which is exactly what I believe the 5.3 LS4 is rated at with the DOD in place, but it seems no one ever got that gas mileage in the LS4?

Old 04-08-2013, 10:08 PM
RED DEVIL

Originally Posted by Frosty LS1
If you do 100% highway driving, what's the best MPG's your car can get?

In my 3.8 Monte Carlo with the 3.23 gears I averaged 18 city and 28 highway, which is exactly what I believe the 5.3 LS4 is rated at with the DOD in place, but it seems no one ever got that gas mileage in the LS4?
right now. I suppose 24 or a little more. as soon as you do any city driving though it goes down fast. I would guess city driving is probably 12 mpg if lucky

Old 04-08-2013, 10:12 PM

right now. I suppose 24 or a little more. as soon as you do any city driving though it goes down fast. I would guess city driving is probably 12 mpg if lucky
Eeek! That's pretty poor.

I thought my Camaro was a gas guzzler, but it averages 16-17 city and 25-27 highway, 'course it takes premium gas too.

Quick Reply: Shift kit worth it?