Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Removing governor

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 10:48 AM
1 Year Member
Default Removing governor

For some reason my car is limited at a very low speed of 107. I was riding from a car meet and all the sudden my dash says "speed limited to 107" and the car wouldn't do anymore even though I was in low RPM's. What?!! Does anyone know how to remove it? And should I remove it? I don't go that fast but at a time like that it just annoyed me...

Old 07-21-2015, 10:50 AM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- June 2014
Monte Of The Month -- July 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You can raise it with a Tune i do believe

Old 07-21-2015, 11:40 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

So, when I read "my car is limited at a very low speed of 107", I am wondering, where do you drive with legal speed limits beyond 80mph? Or are you hitting 107mph on a race track?

That is dictated in the programming of the PCM. As Devin said, a tune can change that and more. Keep in mind, even with a tune, the car still has other limitations that can prevent it from going beyond certain speeds. I don't know what a true top speed for your Monte is.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:47 AM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
So, when I read "my car is limited at a very low speed of 107", I am wondering, where do you drive with legal speed limits beyond 80mph? Or are you hitting 107mph on a race track?

That is dictated in the programming of the PCM. As Devin said, a tune can change that and more. Keep in mind, even with a tune, the car still has other limitations that can prevent it from going beyond certain speeds. I don't know what a true top speed for your Monte is.
Well, if the speed limit says 70 I'm not going to always go 70...

Old 07-22-2015, 10:18 AM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Limiters are generally there for a reason, mechanical limitations, safety. Most modern montes can't even max out their speedos. As others have said, a tune is the only way to change this.

Old 07-23-2015, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Red Monte Carlo
For some reason my car is limited at a very low speed of 107. I was riding from a car meet and all the sudden my dash says "speed limited to 107" and the car wouldn't do anymore even though I was in low RPM's. What?!! Does anyone know how to remove it? And should I remove it? I don't go that fast but at a time like that it just annoyed me...
107 is a very low speed? That's well in excess of the posted speed limits in the US. I wont try to act like I haven't gone faster, but my point is that I think having a limiter set anywhere 100+ is more than enough for normal production cars. I understand having a higher limit on a sports car that could be legally taken over 100 at a track, but I don't see much reason for a company to take the risk or add the cost of making their normal production cars be able to go well over 100 since the vast majority of them will never go that fast.

The speed limiter was programmed into the car for a reason by the manufacturer. Many factors play into the decision for what speed to set it at, but one main driver is the tire rating. For example, my Impala of a similar year came with Goodyear Integrity tires which have a "S" speed rating. Per the DOT, S tires are only rated up to 112. The manufacturer may set a lower limit overall for the car depending on other factors, but they determined that 107 was the safest they felt comfortable with in that configuration. Keep in mind, this also does not account for the random guy at the tire shop doing a shoddy patch job or tires that are worn or cracking from age.

You certainly can change the limit with a tune; you can set it way beyond what the car will ever be able to physically do (200++). The bigger question is how fast do you really want to go? You'll need to address the factors as to why the manufacturer set it there - new tires that meet the speed rating for how fast you want to go, does the suspension handle acceptably at those speeds, does the aerodynamics of the car create an unsafe condition at those speeds (ie does it start making too much front end lift at 130 and the front end gets light, killing the cornering ability), etc etc.

Obviously I'm purposely overstating things here. I just want to make the point that before you change something set up by the company that designed the car from scratch that you consider all of the potentially impacted aspects. I'm sure you're well aware, but the consequences of having a tire blowout, leaving the road, or hitting something well over 100 mph is devastating and could very well kill you. The kinetic energy equation squares the velocity component, so a crumple zone designed to absorb the bulk of a 70 mph impact may be overwhelmed and pass on far more energy to you at 110 mph.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 07-23-2015 at 07:32 PM.