Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Removing Governor?

Old 11-23-2013, 11:35 PM
Default Removing Governor?

Hello! I own a 2004 SS SC Monte, and I topped her out at approx. 110. Does anyone know if this particular Monte has a governor? If so, could a guy remove it? Or could I modify it somehow to de-activate it?
Thanks for the input!!

Old 11-24-2013, 05:34 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by onstad
Hello! I own a 2004 SS SC Monte, and I topped her out at approx. 110. Does anyone know if this particular Monte has a governor? If so, could a guy remove it? Or could I modify it somehow to de-activate it?
Thanks for the input!!

There is a way to change it...

Contact Jason (Maniac)
Heres a link to his services:
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/pr...ghlight=Maniac

Old 11-24-2013, 08:31 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

What STUMPMI said lol.

It's controlled within the PCM. Check the link he provided to a service I offer.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:12 AM

theres a bs little handheld tuner (hypertech) that can do basic changes to a stock car... it will adjust speed limiter, shift points, tire size, timing). I used to have one, they r fun. but ultimately, if you plan on doing modding you will need a real tuner (hptuners or powrtuner).

options:
- have someone tune it for u. (whatever they charge you, and no further updates to pcm)
- hypertech handheld tuner. ($330 and you get to play with it daily, once you find what you like, sell it)
- a real tuner hardware & software. ($350 - $550 and you can do anything under the sun)

i use powrtuner... its cheap and can be used on any gm 3800. hptuners uses a credit system ($$$).

Old 11-24-2013, 12:42 PM

10 Year Member

Originally Posted by MonteSS_Rider
i use powrtuner... its cheap and can be used on any gm 3800.
Not entirely true. Granted the DHP PowrTuner focused on the 3800, but works for many 3400's and some 3100's.

Old 11-24-2013, 04:23 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

The seed limiter can be removed as posted above but keep in mind you don't want to make full throttle pulls in 4th gear because the trans can't handle it. 3rd gear will go over 110mph but just be sure when it goes to shift into 4th you back out to save your trans.

Old 11-24-2013, 10:05 PM

10 Year Member

Originally Posted by turbo monte
The seed limiter can be removed as posted above but keep in mind you don't want to make full throttle pulls in 4th gear because the trans can't handle it. 3rd gear will go over 110mph but just be sure when it goes to shift into 4th you back out to save your trans.
This coming from the guy who knows more about transmissions then I care to think about right now!!!

BTW - John, I hope your latest trans build is your LAST trans build!! You've learned a lot from these experiences, no doubt!!

Old 11-24-2013, 10:11 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
This coming from the guy who knows more about transmissions then I care to think about right now!!!

BTW - John, I hope your latest trans build is your LAST trans build!! You've learned a lot from these experiences, no doubt!!
lol very true, i learned the hard way about making WOT pulls in 4th gear and its bad news.... 4th gear is like over drive and it only has 2 friction and 2 steel and a backing plate for the clutch setup which can not take any abuse they just cone and fall apart lol.

i hope so to man! my trans it built once again with all of the GMR parts and waiting to be installed

Old 11-25-2013, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by turbo monte
...you don't want to make full throttle pulls in 4th gear because the trans can't handle it. 3rd gear will go over 110mph but just be sure when it goes to shift into 4th you back out to save your trans.
not really sure what you mean there... when I put my foot in it, the trans always downshifts into correct gear. my shift points are around 6400 on 2.93's, so not really sure what speed it shifts into 4th, but I have topped it out (135+) on numerous occations (in 4th). I don't know anyone who starts races from 100+...

side note: 4th gear clutches are the easiest to replace. tear it up! (Im on my 3rd trans )

trans history:
- stock w/shift kit. (Chains snapped)
- Dynotech w/hard parts. (Dynotech torque converter blew up and took out the trans)
- 3EP w/hard parts and billet tq. (stripped out the 1st tq, but currently 'all good')

Old 11-25-2013, 09:42 AM
10 Year Member

im saying its not a vise idea to make WOT pulls in 4th gear, yes when you hit the gas it down shifts which it should but when you hit the top of 3rd I would not keep going in 4th imo. on 2.93 gears you should be able to hit 130ish in 3rd, I suggest when making a high speed pull move the shifter into 3rd to prevent a 3-4 shift from happening and then after the pull click it back to drive.

yes 4th clutches are not to difficult but still a pain to get to and me personally I wont do 4th clutches in the car so the trans gets pulled and also if 4th clutches are toast that clutch mud is all through everything and the whole trans should be torn down and inspected/ cleaned.

my trans history:

stock trans (torque converter failed)
2nd trans (7/8 chain set the gears were machined wrong and caused metal on metal contact which caused a lot of heat)
3rd trans (4th clutched toast (coned and falling apart) which caused input to get warm as well and cone)

latest trans build: GMR 1" chain set, GMR input shaft, GMR output shaft, GMR torsen diff, TEP valve body and channel plate upgrades, TEP upgraded input second and 3rd clutches, zzp chrome moly pump shaft, cartuning torque converter, trans cooler.

Last edited by turbo monte; 11-25-2013 at 11:15 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Removing Governor?