Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Porting & Polishing Supercharger..

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 12:02 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question Porting & Polishing Supercharger..

So I'm thinking about doing a little porting and polishing on my blower I was wondering, if anyone can maybe help me by telling me how to begin removing it. Where the bolts are and special tools I'll need? Also, what things should I look out for while doing so? Where I can find the gaskets and stuff I'll need to put the blower back on when it's all done. Thanks in advance!

Old 03-14-2013, 12:38 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

While you are at it you might as well do intake gaskets. ZZP has everything that you would need.

You will need to disconnect all the wires, the fuel lines , and then just start pulling it apart. The only special tools you will need is a 10 mm socket lol, its all pretty straight forward. I'm not sure if your year needs the fuel line disconnects to take them off with.

Just be careful not to break any connectors while you are in there. And truthfully, there isn't much to be gained porting the supercharger. Since you are kind of new to this whole thing I would just take it slow and learn how it all works. The blower needs to be taken apart to so the porting and it is a pretty big pain. You will need new oil for it for sure. If you do actually want to port it though, get a good die grinder.

The best thing you can do is open up the outlet. The inlet is the part that you won't gain much on, since you have a stock throttle body.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:27 AM
5 Year Member

Nice thanks for the info really helped! So gaskets, new sc oil and 10mm socket lol I guess I probably should have added that I'm taking it to a shop to get it ported and polished. I just gotta take it apart for him. Idk if he's charging too much or if it's a good deal, he said 90 per hr and it'll be around 3 hrs. price sound about right? also after porting im goin to add an upgraded TB. maybe high velocity stage 2?

Old 03-14-2013, 09:49 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

Do you have a Gen 3 or Gen 5 blower? If its a Gen 3 don't waste money porting that buy a Gen 5 and port it there more efficient blowers.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:26 AM

Not sure what other mods you have- looks like a small pulley in your avatar picture though.

If the car is pretty much stock, I'd save your time and wouldn't worry about porting the blower.

If you have 'extensive' mods (valvetrain/IC/exhaust/etc) then porting the blower might be beneficial, but:

A. I couldn't see paying a shop $270 to port a Gen III when a Gen V swap isn't much more, and like John said, is more efficient.
B. If you don't know what you're doing, you can actually make the blower LESS efficient when trying to port it.

Honestly, your money and time is probably better spent elsewhere.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:27 AM
STILL SLOW
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by turbo monte
Do you have a Gen 3 or Gen 5 blower? If its a Gen 3 don't waste money porting that buy a Gen 5 and port it there more efficient blowers.
Yea if you are paying that much, a Gen5 is a better solution, but it gets pretty pricey. They really aren't that hard to do yourself if you decide to port it, you will already have it apart.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:26 AM
5 Year Member

Yea I have the gen 3 blower. current mods are: intake, headers+exhaust,180tstat, plugs, thicker wires, 3.4 pulley and a tune.

now if I get a gen 5, would I need to port that or is it all ready to go? is it simply just swapping the blowers or must I do something besides that I really appreciate all the advice by the way! oh and if you guys wouldn't recommend that mod until further into depth with my mods, what mod would you suggest I do next?

Old 03-14-2013, 11:57 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

I've never done the swap I am a turbo guy but if I remember correct you need the sc, lower intake, fuel rails, tb adapter... there may be more I'm not sure honestly.

In all honesty before you get crazy making power build your trans.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:30 PM
5 Year Member

this may sound like a stupid question but how do I start building my trans? what things can I do or replace to make it power compatible? my goal is at least 300whp...otherwise am I better off buying a new tranny??

Old 03-14-2013, 08:59 PM
STILL SLOW
10 Year Member

You will need the lim/ SC. and the throttle body adapter as stated before. You really won't even need to touch the genV, from what I have seen you can't gain much porting them, but you will make more power with one then a fully ported genIII.

How many miles are on your car? You aren't going to blow up the trans on those mods.

Quick Reply: Porting & Polishing Supercharger..