Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Overheating :(

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 09:34 PM
Default Overheating :(

Hi, we just got a 1995 Monte Carlo with the 3.4l engine, the problem why I believe the car is overheating is because the vans do not turn on. What may be the problem why they don't turn on?

Thank you! [X(]

Old 02-05-2008, 10:22 PM
Default RE: Overheating :(

maybe the fuse check the fuse, it'll be in a power box somewhere under the hood.. make sure the fan didn't get jammed on something, if its not none of those thinks check the wiring.... that's all i can think of. and by vans i hope you ment fans so i dont look stupied.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:30 PM

Oh sorry, I was in a hurry typing, and yes I do mean the fans . And well its weird, one of the fans turned on but for about 20 secs then shut off, and then didn't turn on anymore. The fans are able to rotate, I did a manual check on that and the fuses can be it, would the Coolant Temp Sensor have to do with anything? if so, where would that be located?

Old 02-05-2008, 10:49 PM

Nah I don't think the sensor would have any thing to do with it, because the fan runs mostly all the time... You'll have to get somone elses' opioion on that from the site.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:15 AM

Well other people have told me that the Temp Sensor controls when and if the Fans go on, that its either they on all the time, or they just don't come on. So im at a stand still here.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:50 AM

13 years is a lot of work for an electric motor. It might very well be the Fan Motor. Put some jumpers to work and see what happens when you put power to the Fans. If they work flawlessly with +12V jumpered to them ... you can troubleshoot back from the Fans.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:25 AM

Hey Afterburn,
Glad to see I'm not the only one having probs with a newly aquired 95 Monte.
Check your coolant level. If it is not hot out you should be able to drive around without overheating and not need your fans. I installed an electric fan in my s10 with a 180 degree sensor to kick them on and it only came on when sitting in traffic on hot days. If your car is eating coolant then you need to replace the intake manifold gaskets, which is what I am doing this weekend [:@]. I'm also adding a 180 thermostat, new temp sensor, and a new radiator cap since they are cheap parts and you might as well replace them while you have access to them.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:24 PM

Yes I do need to replace the intake manifold gasket, but the bad thing is that I can't pull it out. I have unscrewed everything I see, but still doesn't want to lift up. Do you guys have a diagram of what bolts i need to remove?

Old 02-07-2008, 08:20 AM

Not yet I haven't started on mine and I don't have a repair manual yet.

Old 02-07-2008, 01:09 PM

Was searching for stuff and found this in another forum

I replaced my own gaskets on a 3.1 with 95,000 miles. It's the lower one that leaks. Regular gaskets cost $50+, newer improved cost $80+.
It took me 10 hrs. because you have to remove everything on top of engine to get lower intake off, alt., pwr str pump, coil pack, ect.
You even have to remove valve covers, rocker arms, push rods because lower gasket goes around the push rods.
I notice lower gasket was not deteriorated as is claimed to happen on these engines. It was just leaking at rear corner. I would recommend trying to snug down 4 lower intake manifold "corner bolts", but they are hard to access unless you remove other parts.
With new gaskets, GM uses a higher torque value. By the way, it's a 10mm wrench/socket.[/align][/align]If you just took the top bolts and stuff off there is a long way to go. [/align]

Quick Reply: Overheating :(