Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Over Haul

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 02:44 AM
Default Over Haul

Yes folks its just about over haul time. My poor wore out 305 give my monte the nickname oil stain, the odometer is stuck on 86K and the orginal owner could not rember how long it has been stuck. And I have owned it for 4 months driven every day. My question is can anyone reccomend a decent low price kit. I am not sure if I have the time to do pistons and all, mainly bearings and seals.

Old 03-14-2005, 11:35 AM
Default RE: Over Haul

Save yourself some time and energy and go find a rebuilt short/long block. My suggestion would be to rebuild it all or nothing. My experience has shown that patching can be a crap shoot.

A couple of questions though, does it run good? Does it smoke?? Or is it just leaking oil?

TVW

Old 03-14-2005, 09:02 PM

It runs really good to be a 20 year old motor, and yes it smokes when you first start it in the morning but I think that is linked to the overloading junk QJet. That is also on my to do list, change the dist and put on a Holley 650. And yes it leaks oil like its going out of style.

Old 03-17-2005, 12:47 AM

my suggestion is go with a Barry Grant Demon Carb. They are a little more expensive but last longer than the holleys...

Old 03-17-2005, 12:52 AM

A little more is exactly right, I guess I should mention I only work at Wendy's[sm=nerd.gif]

Old 03-17-2005, 12:55 AM

Whoa you realy got to be kidding me with the workign at wendy's thing. in that case you might want to go with a job overhaul first then start on your ride.

Old 03-17-2005, 01:01 AM

No I aint kiddin and I aint proud of it, but when you gotta do what you gotta do. Then what can you do, Im not ashamed of it in any way hey I have a 1 year old daughter and my wife Xwife is in jail. So I did what I had to do ther fore I am working at Wendy's and minuim wage is better than no wage.

Old 03-17-2005, 01:25 AM

DIDN'T MEAN TO MAKE IT SOUND SO HARD GUY I REALLY APOLOGIZE BUT YOU ARE RIGHT HANDLE YOUR BUSINESS AND DO WHAT YOU GOT TO DO FOR YOU AND YOUR LIL GIRL CAUSE I AM ONLY 23 AND I GOT 3 KIDS

Old 03-17-2005, 02:30 AM

ORIGINAL: benhillzone3

DIDN'T MEAN TO MAKE IT SOUND SO HARD GUY I REALLY APOLOGIZE BUT YOU ARE RIGHT HANDLE YOUR BUSINESS AND DO WHAT YOU GOT TO DO FOR YOU AND YOUR LIL GIRL CAUSE I AM ONLY 23 AND I GOT 3 KIDS
[sm=imsorry.gif] So I believe the tip was a Demon Carb huh?

Old 04-25-2005, 07:02 PM

on a budget i would go with a edelbrock carb and they can be tuned easy and they are just as reliabelas the demon and you wont have to rebuild it every year. I have own Holleys and would never own anoher one the demons are great if your racing but as a daily runner on a bdget get the edelbrock,
as far as the smoke if it is blue it could be just valve seats ,
if i was in your shoe (have been several times)
I would look around for a long block 350 or find one out of a truck some place and work on it as you have the cash and drive tis till ti dies and then swap them out. you canmake it last long enough to do this and they are the same block for the most part and will fit right in the place of the 305 also gives you 25 more cubes and rund a whole lot stornger,
not to mention they are a better runner for track or driving daily and if you have to travel they will do it to
add a decent cam and some rockers etc. you would be good to go with a intake and you dont need anything fancy unless you want it just go find a edelbrock preformer intake or the air gap (if you build it for it)
you can also get the whole system from edel brock with matched parts and take out the guess work for ya.
if your on a tight budget this is the best way to go you can buy themin parts and add the parts as you can affored it and will end up with the same effect in the end Good Luck and keep being a good father