Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

"Oil Pressure Low, Turn Engine Off"

Old 12-17-2010, 06:31 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default "Oil Pressure Low, Turn Engine Off"

I recently had to have my battery replaced. As soon as the new battery went in, the check engine light came on and has stayed on for 2 days now. I am due for an oil change so I figured it might have something to do with that. Today is the first time I got the "Oil Pressure Low, Turn Engine Off" warning and it seems to come on each time I am on the gas pedal for a while and stop as soon as I'm off the gas pedal for a while. I checked the oil and it was fine. But I went to get an oil change immediately. Oil was changes with no issue, but the "Oil Pressure Low, Turn Engine Off" still comes on each time I drive for more than 10 minutes. There is clearly no loss of oil in my car. What could be causing this warning? And what could be causing the "Check Engine" light to stay on?

Old 12-17-2010, 08:20 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

The Check Engine light will stay on until the code is cleared. If you take the car to an Autozone for example, they can read the code for you (usually for free) and they can tell you what it is and they can clear the code for you. Without knowing what the code is, we might not be able to accurately help you with the problem.

Old 12-18-2010, 01:12 AM

Ok, I'll try Auto Zone tomorrow. But the "Oil Pressure Low, Turn Engine Off" only seems to be a problem on highway driving when I'm on the gas for a long time. It doesn't come on in stop & go traffic off the highway.

Old 12-18-2010, 03:39 PM

Have you checked the actual oil pressure to make sure the sender isn't just malfunctioning?

If I were you, I'd want to verify that the oil pressure isn't actually dropping while driving. That could be incredibly catastrophic.

Old 12-19-2010, 02:19 AM

I've checked the oil dipstick and it is still fine. I just got an oil change last night. Today I made it all day without the light coming on, but then again I never got on the highway today. The check engine light is still on and hasn't turned off since the new battery was installed.

Aside from checking the dipstick, how do you check oil pressure on the 2006 SS?

Old 12-19-2010, 04:50 PM

First and foremost, if you haven't checked your CEL codes, do so. Find someone local with an OBDII scanner or head to autozone and have them pull the codes for you. They are on for a reason, and they are there for troubleshooting. Trying to troubleshoot an issue without knowing what the PCM is saying is like banging your head against a wall for no reason at all.

Aside from checking the dipstick, how do you check oil pressure on the 2006 SS?
Just to clarify, having the proper oil level in the engine has nothing to do with having proper oil pressure in the engine. Obviously without the proper oil level, oil pressure will also be an issue, but they are not always mutually exclusive.

On most cars, you can hook up a pressure gauge in place of the stock dummy sensor to check the oil pressure. I would consult the service manual honestly. Like I said before, not having oil pressure can lead to catastrophic failure. The cost of making sure your oil pressure is not the issue is much less than the cost of a new engine.

Best of luck.

-Riggs.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:14 PM

The codes are: p0521 & p0522

Old 01-05-2011, 07:27 PM

The codes are: p0521 & p0522
Yeah, so those are both codes for the oil pressure and the oil pressure sensor.

Have you verified that the oil pressure is actually at correct levels and checked the wiring leading up to the sensor?

Old 01-05-2011, 07:36 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member

heres a link http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/ My 2005 monte carlo ss supercharged low oil light came on a couple times I went to dealer ,They put a new engine in no cost to me . cam shaft bearing failed . 16,986 miles

Old 01-05-2011, 07:40 PM

My 2005 monte carlo ss supercharged low oil light came on a couple times I went to dealer ,They put a new engine in no cost to me . cam shaft bearing failed . 16,986 miles
Ouch. How did it get so low on oil as to destroy a cam bearing?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "Oil Pressure Low, Turn Engine Off"