Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

4th Gen ('81-'88): No Power to the car at all

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 01:30 PM
1 Year Member
Default No Power to the car at all

Was doing some welding on the car with the battery disconnected. After I finished I tried to the start the car and there is no power anywhere. No power to the dash or starter. Been reading that it might be burnt out fusible links? Help is greatly appreciated.

Old 03-30-2015, 01:33 PM

Hi `Jake,
Do you have a power meter ? Did you have the battery checked ? Did you check all your fuses ?

Check back on your trend to see what our expert tech's reply (I'm not one)

Good Luck!

Old 03-30-2015, 01:51 PM
1 Year Member

Checked battery all good. Even connected a starter and still no luck. All fuses under the dash are good. Found 2 fusible links near the starter and checked and if they get power and they both are good(meters light comes on before and after the fuse).

Old 03-30-2015, 01:58 PM

Hi `Jake,
What were you welding ? What area of your Monte ?
Did you check your starter ? Solenoid connection ? Have you had any previous problems on starting ? You can jump your solenoid connection by using a screwdriver between the neg & pos (?)

Good Luck & keep checking back to see what other member's post on your problem > Good Luck <

Old 03-30-2015, 02:09 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by BeachBumMike
Hi `Jake,
What were you welding ? What area of your Monte ?
Did you check your starter ? Solenoid connection ? Have you had any previous problems on starting ? You can jump your solenoid connection by using a screwdriver between the neg & pos (?)

Good Luck & keep checking back to see what other member's post on your problem > Good Luck <
I was replacing the starter with a new starter and one of the bolts broke off so I was welding another bolt onto it to get it unscrewed which was a piece of cake. Put in the new starter and there is no power at all.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:14 PM

Hi `Jake,
Sadly, I've heard of re-built & new starter being BAD Were there any arch's during the weld that could've fried the starter ?
Did you check for any burned wires (I'm sure U did, but I'm outa suggestions)...I hope that you can locate the problem...Keep checking back & hopefully one of our more knowledgeable member's can assist > double good luck 4>Sure

Old 03-30-2015, 03:08 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by BeachBumMike
Hi `Jake,
Sadly, I've heard of re-built & new starter being BAD Were there any arch's during the weld that could've fried the starter ?
Did you check for any burned wires (I'm sure U did, but I'm outa suggestions)...I hope that you can locate the problem...Keep checking back & hopefully one of our more knowledgeable member's can assist > double good luck 4>Sure
I found the problem. It was my fault. The new starter I got was a bit different and I didn't wire it up correctly. Thanks so much for the help.

Old 03-30-2015, 03:21 PM

Hi `Jake,
Happy that you found that problem & that you are also human...I've made a ton of mistakes working on cars & boat engine...I've learned from trial & error....More error's 4>Sure...

Look forward to reading more about your Monte + seeing updated pictures....EnJoy your running Monte Carlo + Life