Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Opinion Needed: Might be crazy but possible

Old 10-30-2014, 11:33 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Might be crazy but possible

Hey guys kit spoke to a new high performance engine builder. Long story short he asked me if I was interested in making my 03 awd... Hell yea... For the future though. The only funny part is that he said a Mitsubishi 3000gt vr6 would fit assuming the tranny would too if not that would probably be the tricky part but the engine would fit that he's sure of. Besides all the internals for the rear end to make this possible, has anyone heard of this or think it would work?

Last edited by 03vaderSS; 10-30-2014 at 11:48 AM.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:39 AM
Smile >Go 4 `it 4-Sure<

Hi `Tony,
I don't know if it's possible, but I do believe that anything is possible `if you have the time, $'s and the knowledge to create.

Crazy people do some great crazy, amazing things that no one else has tried, but I really like the idea of a AWD Monte S.S. 4-Sure!

Please keep us updated & I look 4ward to reading what other member's post on this topic Good Luck & please keep us updated 4-Sure

"I believe 4-Sure > 4 Real"

Last edited by Space; 10-30-2014 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:02 PM
Question >Have 2 start somewhere to get 2 where U want 2 `be ?<

Illustrated Guide to the Mitsubishi 3000GT AWD System

by Jeff Lucius

These pages are still in development. I will add more pictures as I am able to disassemble components or as others send them (pictures or components) to me. If you have comments about this web page or corrections for its contents, please send an email to jlucius@stealth316.com.

Part 1 Acknowledgments
OverviewPart 2 Transaxle Assembly
Transaxle ProblemsPart 3 Center Differential/Viscous Coupling Unit
Part 4 Synchronizers
Part 5 Rear Differential, Driveshaft, and Axle Assemblies
Part 6 Propeller Shaft Assembly
Front Driveshaft and Axle Assemblies
Gear Reduction Ratios
Speed in Gears

Acknowledgments

Special thanks to Jim Berry, Joe Gonsowski, and Mikael Kenson for sharing their photographs and comments and especially to Frank Martin (owner of Kormex Trans Parts) who donated an opened CD/VCU for me to analyze and photograph. Kormex is one of the top manufacturers and suppliers of original and aftermarket parts for our drivetrains. Some diagrams and technical information were adapted from the various Service Manuals and from the 1991 Stealth Technical Information Manual.

Overview

All models of Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 and Dodge Stealth R/T Twin Turbo have a full-time, all-wheel-drive (AWD) system that provides automatic distribution of engine torque to the front and rear wheels. The combined center differential/viscous coupling unit (CD/VCU) inside the manual transaxle splits engine torque evenly between the front differential (also inside the transaxle) and the transfer case. A 3-piece, 4-joint propeller shaft transmits torque from the transfer case to the rear limited-slip differential. Inside the rear differential, is another VCU that acts as the differential limiting device to distribute torque equally to both rear axles. The front differential is a pinion- and side-gear, open-type, where more torque is transmitted to the lighter-loaded (faster-spinning) driveshaft.

Part 2 Stealth 316 - Mitsubishi 3000GT AWD System

Old 10-30-2014, 12:06 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Anything's possible, but that's going to take a LOT of custom work

Old 10-30-2014, 12:44 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by nitehawkjcb
Anything's possible, but that's going to take a LOT of custom work
i second this

never heard of a 3000gt being used but again i never heard of anyone making one awd

Old 10-31-2014, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by 03vaderSS
Hey guys kit spoke to a new high performance engine builder. Long story short he asked me if I was interested in making my 03 awd... Hell yea... For the future though.
I'm sure he's excited to do it too- that would mean massive money and profit for them. Did he happen to mention the price at all? I bet a shop would charge an easy $15k+ to do a conversion like that right. The number of man hours for all of the fabrication would be huge.

For the kind of money it would take to do an AWD conversion, you could easily afford a 3000gt, 2g DSM, heck maybe even a used EVO or WRX if you want a boosted AWD car.

The only funny part is that he said a Mitsubishi 3000gt vr6 would fit assuming the tranny would too if not that would probably be the tricky part but the engine would fit that he's sure of.
I don't think it would be tricky at all especially if this is a good fab shop / race car builder. Being that absolutely nothing is going to bolt in anyways- you're going to have to gut the whole car and cut out a ton of sheet metal from the tunnel and backhalf of the car. Cutting up / moving the firewall to accommodate the transmission would be just a few more hours on the pile. It doesn't really matter if the engine fits, because a good speed shop could make any standard car engine fit- viper V10, BBC, whatever- they can always gut the front half of the car and just rebuild a tube chassis.

My big question is - why a 3000GT powertrain? Sure they make decent power stock- but they are very old now. Even the newest 3000GT is like 15 years old at this point. I guess it's different- but what is the goal?

If the goal is to go fast, why not a simpler RWD conversion with a 5.3L LS iron block, a big turbo, and a turbo 400 trans? It can be made to hook every bit as good as a 3000GT AWD swap- they can just install a very narrow rear end and massive rear tires while doing the LS swap. If the goal is something unique and AWD, there are certainly other AWD powertrains that are more modern and could make more power.

Besides all the internals for the rear end to make this possible, has anyone heard of this or think it would work?
GM made something somewhat similar to what you're talking about on this platform. They called it the grand prix G8. Basically had an LS1 swap with the AWD 4t65 trans. Last I knew it sold at a Barrett Jackson auction for $30k+

As previously mentioned, it certainly will work- it's just how much are you willing to spend to make it happen? Even using stock 3000gt parts- to get something with decent mileage, you're going to spend more than your car is worth just in parts. Then add in a month+ of shop labor plus misc fab parts (steel, wiring, lines, etc), and you've got another 2-3X what the car is worth.

Personally, if you like those cars that much, I'd just save the money and buy one.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 10-31-2014 at 11:18 PM.