Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Opinion Needed: L67 Top Swap vs. L36 Bolt-on kit

Old 02-10-2017, 09:04 PM

Also ive seen on youtube where a guy used a aluminum upper intake i belive L26 . but he the only person i see who has done it. just wondering if anyone else know how well it works

Old 02-10-2017, 09:09 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 2000/MCSS
Also ive seen on youtube where a guy used a aluminum upper intake i belive L26 . but he the only person i see who has done it. just wondering if anyone else know how well it works
Many have done this. Me, zippy, maniac just to name a few. There is also write-ups on the forum here of what's needed to be done for it to work correctly.

Old 02-11-2017, 11:26 AM

Reading threw this post I got a lot of info, and some understanding . I have a 2000 MC/SS with the L36. I've been back and fourth on what to do to upgrade my engine. first thought about swapping engine and trans and make it supercharged, because that's what I wanted but couldn't pass up the price I got this for. I have a few issues now,( see why I got it at the price now). Engine has 234,833 on it and I need to replace upper intake do to leak. which lead me to consider top swap, but I also have a trans code p1811 max adapt . not sure if its due to another engine issues .so that got me thinking engine and trans swap. not sure what would be best at this point. I like the idea of top swap but unsure of exactly what it concise of.In need of advice, Trying to make a parts list as well.
Honestly with that kind of mileage, I wouldnt be putting any money into engine upgrades at all. I get doing maintenance as needed to keep it going as needed, but an engine/trans swap is the best bet at this point assuming the rest of the car is in good shape.
​​​​

Old 02-11-2017, 08:58 PM

Thank you bumpin96monte for your advice and information. and thinking about it. I think its my best option . I think doing so takes care of a lot of issues and I can find a engine with lower miles. Now Is the question as to what engine to choose. A supercharged engine and trans out of a SC/MC if so what year. I think 04-05. or do LS swap if that would work not to sure as to which one.

Old 02-11-2017, 09:07 PM
Default upper intake swap

Originally Posted by turbo monte
Many have done this. Me, zippy, maniac just to name a few. There is also write-ups on the forum here of what's needed to be done for it to work correctly.
Thank you Turbo Monte was going to be my route when I was going to fix my intake issue. now I'm going a new route to all the other issues I have. now choosing the engine and trans to swap and getting a detailed parts list together is next task to see all I'm getting into. this will be my first engine and trans swap.

Old 02-12-2017, 08:18 AM

Thank you bumpin96monte for your advice and information. and thinking about it. I think its my best option . I think doing so takes care of a lot of issues and I can find a engine with lower miles. Now Is the question as to what engine to choose. A supercharged engine and trans out of a SC/MC if so what year. I think 04-05. or do LS swap if that would work not to sure as to which one.
I wouldn't limit yourself to just an l67 from an 04/05 monte. I'd look for any L67 or L32 that had decent mileage as the majority of the engine is generally the same. Certainly a few things might need to be changed around with the throttle body, fuel rail, etc depending what you end up with but that stuff is dirt cheap nowadays.

An LS swap isn't worth it IMO. Easiest LS swap would be an LS4 from a newer monte ss /impala/ gp gxp etc. But from what I've seen, because they were so much more limited, those powertrains seem to go for notably more money. You could easily make up the difference in power with a few bolt ons to the l67/l32 before you drop it back in.

Old 02-13-2017, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
I wouldn't limit yourself to just an l67 from an 04/05 monte. I'd look for any L67 or L32 that had decent mileage as the majority of the engine is generally the same. Certainly a few things might need to be changed around with the throttle body, fuel rail, etc depending what you end up with but that stuff is dirt cheap nowadays.

An LS swap isn't worth it IMO. Easiest LS swap would be an LS4 from a newer monte ss /impala/ gp gxp etc. But from what I've seen, because they were so much more limited, those powertrains seem to go for notably more money. You could easily make up the difference in power with a few bolt ons to the l67/l32 before you drop it back in.
I understand your point on doing a LS swap. those engines go for a lot more money. But I do like the power I see people get out off them. Maybe on my next build ill tackle one. So basically finding a L67 or A L32 and doing a top swap is what you are saying is a good route to go? L67 is the better choice over the L32 even with a top swap rite. still makes more hp. Or am I wrong. the bottom end of the L32 is not built to Handle boost. Is the wire hardness the same between L32/L67?

Old 02-13-2017, 08:36 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

You are all wrong here.... L67 is the series 2 supercharged engine which is easiest to swap in. L32 is the series 3 supercharged engine which has a tad better supercharger but not really enough to notice in stock form and it's harder to swap in because other components are different.

L36 is series 2 N/A and l26 is series 3 N/A

Old 02-13-2017, 10:02 PM

I understand your point on doing a LS swap. those engines go for a lot more money. But I do like the power I see people get out off them. Maybe on my next build ill tackle one.
I get wanting more power, but how much can you really use? There are proven setups on a 3800 with the stock blower up to 400 whp, and plenty of turbo setups in the 500-600 whp range. At that point, you're getting beyond what you could ever put down from a dig, especially without slicks. Not to mention that will be pushing even the best transmission (unless you get lucky and find used GMR parts).

No doubt you could easily go a lot further on an LS - take the LS4, send it out to ERL for a 6 bolt super deck stroker, add a monster turbo, etc and make well over 1000 whp. Problem is, that'll never hook any gear on a fwd setup, and the transmission will never last without monster investment in custom 1 off parts.

So basically finding a L67 or A L32 and doing a top swap is what you are saying is a good route to go? L67 is the better choice over the L32 even with a top swap rite.
You wouldn't need a top swap with an l67 or l32, they already come with a blower.

L67 vs L32 is a tough one. The L32 has the slightly better blower and makes a little more power. The L67 will likely be cheaper as there were far more made. Just keep in mind the differences between throttle body actuation (DBW vs DBC) and fueling (return vs returnless) as you will need to convert to match your current setup if needed. I'd go for whatever you find in the best condition with the lowest proven mileage.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:33 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

I have done the L26 aluminum upper intake swap. I created a pretty pic heavy and detailed write up of the swap (as I did a few extras in addition to the swap itself). Here's the link:
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/fw...c-heavy-48949/

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Opinion Needed: L67 Top Swap vs. L36 Bolt-on kit