Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

L67 Top swap or Turbo, which one??

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 08:44 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Don't forget the $4,000 for the new transmission, and the HD axles. The axles are the weak link in the whole drivetrain. Just ask ZZPerformance.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:42 AM

Don't forget the $4,000 for the new transmission,
For what, an M90 setup or a turbo setup?

$4K is really, really high for a new transmission- Triple Edge's drop in units start at $1500.
http://www.tripleedgeperformance.com/Transmission.html

and the HD axles. The axles are the weak link in the whole drivetrain. Just ask ZZPerformance.
The axles aren't the weakest link, the differential is. You're axles are going to be fine until you start launching on sticky tires with lots of torque. You're differential, on the other hand, is pretty suspect once you start making good power. Still, most top-swapped dude's are fine with the stock 4T65E transmission and differential, myself included. It's really a matter of not abusing the car- one wheeled burnouts, nailing it from a stop around corners, and launching on sticky tires are the most likely means of creating a differential failure.

Turbo setups are a different story- the massive power/torque created by a decent turbo setup is pretty much guaranteed to destroy your transmission.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:53 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

Speaking ONLY about BIG power cars, I beg to differ on the differentials being the weak link. YES, they ARE a weak link, but if beefed up properly, the axles become the weak link. At least that's what Steve at Certified Transmissions (the guy that built ZZP's drag car's transmission) told me. The tranny and dif' can hold 900+ HP, and at that point, the axle assemblies become the weak link.
And yes, $4,000 IS a lot of $$$ for a transmission, but $1,500 will get you something not much more than stock. A good transmission will cost you $3,000-5,000. Don't forget a good torque convertor, maybe a Mezier flex-plate, etc, etc. $3,000 comes FAST! An advantage is you have 3.29 gears, but a dis-advantage is you don't have a core for the HD tranny. I've gone thru the numbers game with them and ended up with a 2,500 stall convertor, and that's it. (3rd torque convertor for me, along with 3rd flex plate).
Speaking of flex plates, make sure you get a Bonneville flex plate, not a Chevy or GP. They are stronger, I'm told (by ZZP)
Rian, how much you got into yours? How much power you putting down?

Is this going to be ONLY a street driver, or are you going to run the 1/4 occationally? A top swap, you're probably OK with a beefy 4T65E-HD, but anything more and ?????. I shredded a tranny in my '01. It wasn't pretty.

Last edited by RocknSS04; 12-04-2009 at 11:03 AM.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:01 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

I say turbo as well. Its hard to scrap together all the needed parts for a top swap. If i could go back, Id buy a l67 over this top swap im in progress with lol.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:34 PM

Speaking ONLY about BIG power cars
the axles become the weak link.
Once the axles do become your weak link, there isn't a whole lot you can do to fix it. A lot of people seem to think the OEM GM axles are the strongest- even better than the common 'built' axles. I suppose you could always get those Porsche axle adaptors- but thats big money.

Old 12-05-2009, 12:18 PM

If you're at the point where you're worried about snapping an axle on a daily driver, then you're going to have a whole lot more to worry about with replacing that transmission chain every few months.

Sure they can hold 900hp or so, but for what? A couple track passes?

Most turbo guys running pretty big setups (400whp+ on street cars) don't seem to have axle issues, but definitely go through chains like there's no tomorrow.

-Riggs.

Old 12-05-2009, 03:44 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year

Originally Posted by 03SS/00GSE/93LX

launching on sticky tires are the most likely means of creating a differential failure.
you need to get one of this from intense-racing if you planning to run some sticky tires

http://intense-racing.com/Merchant2/...ategory_Code=T

Last edited by nemesis; 12-05-2009 at 03:48 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:56 PM

you need to get one of this from intense-racing if you planning to run some sticky tires

edit - nevermind, I thought you were posting a link to their "lsd" - lol

Old 12-07-2009, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by silverbullitt

Shoot, anybody can run 12s on a downhill track.

Turbos will give you more power, but for a daily driver, I'll take a positive diplacement blower. Turbos put up great dyno numbers, and have great top end. But I just can't gt over the lag of a turbo setup. As for a custom Whipple...thats probably a pipe dream unless you are really good at fabricatin things.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:23 PM

"As for a custom Whipple...thats probably a pipe dream unless you are really good at fabricatin things."

And the money to go with it!

Quick Reply: L67 Top swap or Turbo, which one??