Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

L67 build

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 06:46 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Keep your engine the l26 does not have forged anything. Buy a used turbo kit for around 1,600-2,000 off of club gp of grandprixfprums.net

Get the tune that goes with that turbo kit and buy a front power log if the kit don't come with one. That's about it. No need for a northstar on a turbo setup the stock tb is fine. If you add a cam etc and max the stock maf buy an afc and scale the stock maf back is all. Just my .02

Old 06-14-2014, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by BrandonStebing
I planned on picking up a supercharged 3.8 and a tranny for around 500$ then rebuild it and do a motor and tranny swap in the spring.
Don't bother rebuilding the engine. If you're set on doing a swap, spend the extra time to find one with reasonable mileage so you don't have to rebuild it. A rebuild is going to add a lot of cost with zero power benefit.

Really though, if your intent is to stay with a M90- why not keep the bottom end you have and just top swap it? The increased compression will let you spin the SC slower than a similar power, lower compression build. It'll be operating in a more efficient range.

L67 are rated 240hp stock, so I figure about 220ish fwhp
That's too high. Stock they were more like 190-200 whp.

I want to get new heads, is there aftermarket heads I can get for it that aren't 1000$. or should I have them bored?
Head porting isn't cheap. It's very labor intensive and requires a lot of skill to be consistent. CNC ported heads are cheaper since a machine does all the work, but the results aren't quite as good.

Honestly, if you're only looking for 300whp, I don't think you really need heads. A turbo would be the easier route- but on a SC setup, the higher compression NA bottom end with the cam and a full size IC (along with the other usual supporting mods- headers, etc) should get you in that range rather easily.

I would love to just go buy a turbo kit, but that's almost $5000!
Why not look at the ZZP Z3 kit if you're worried about price? ZZP's page is down right now, but I could've swore a bare bones kit was down around $3k for an intercooled version. That would get you to your 300 whp and be FAR easier than doing an engine rebuild, swap, cam, etc etc etc.

Also, if you're concerned about the $5000 price tag for a top of the line turbo kit, look at the price of what you're planning on anyways:
-engine/trans $500
-full stock rebuild of both $1k +
-cam w chain and springs $500
-heads $1000-2000
-zzp TB/MAF $300
-headers $500
-tune $300
-injectors $300
-ported blower $300
-MPS/pulley $100
-ported LIM $50

That's $4850 right there using the cheap heads and a low estimate for a full engine/trans rebuild. I realize some of the prices are off a bit- but you're easily in the $5k ballpark with what you're wanting to do, especially by the time you throw in fluids, belts, and other misc parts

Originally Posted by turbo monte
Get a l32 engine instead of the l67 engine. The l32 have the genv sc. If you have to swap the genv onto a l67 you need lower intake for the genv also.
An L32 would be nice, but IMO I'd focus more on getting the best shape / lowest mileage engine you can find regardless if its a L67 or L32. Since far more L67s were built, it's more likely to find one of them. You can always do a gen V swap later if you really wanted to.

So your saying I should just get a turbo kit? What other mods would I or should I get with it? And where would I look for one, what would I search, and what exactly should I look for
Go on ZZP's website and search for turbo kits. If you're on a budget, look at the Z3 first.

Originally Posted by vikesfan
get a S3 3800 n/a (powder forged pistons IIRC) and drop it in

i also am using the stock trans without issues, and i dont drive like a grandpa either.
Whatever you do, DON'T get an L26. They're powdered metal, and not a real forged rod in the traditional sense, so the strength difference is not drastically different from a cast rod. However, the L26 has a horrific record of blowing up the bottom end on modded cars. If you don't believe me, search for yourself over on clubgp.

I also don't see any benefit to swapping an L36 to an L26 unless your stock engine is really beat, in which case I'd just find a used L36 bottom end in good shape since they're more plentiful anyways.

IMO a stock trans is not a good idea at 350 whp. Not saying it won't work, or you couldn't get away with it- but to the OP: you should definitely have money set aside for a built trans if you're planning on making that much power. These transmissions are well documented for not holding power well at all. You certainly could slap a turbo on your current setup, and just drive it until it blows the trans; but hopefully you have a DD in that case so you can still get to work.

EDIT- Here's a couple of quick pics of an L26 that just let go a month or so ago:

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 06-14-2014 at 12:04 AM.
Old 06-14-2014, 12:35 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by vikesfan
i would say that the turbo, if possible, is the way to go for sure. you dont have to work "as hard" to make the power that someone with a s/c does imo.

what i would do....

get a S3 3800 n/a (powder forged pistons IIRC) and drop it in
adapt N* tb and LQ4 maf to S3 upper intake
find used turbo kit and install

this should run you about $3000

drive it till the tranny goes then buy a built transmission. i would suspect that you will need a trans sooner than later though.

that is another $2000-$3000

if money is tight, just do the top swap. you could easily do that for less than $500 on the low end.
I was looking at some universal kits on eBay for around 600$ so other than a turbo, custom manifold and a tune, what else do I need, how much will it cost me and where can I get it

Old 06-14-2014, 12:58 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

DONT use a ebay turbo kit! Buy one that's specific for our car!

Old 06-14-2014, 11:18 PM

I was looking at some universal kits on eBay for around 600$ so other than a turbo, custom manifold and a tune, what else do I need, how much will it cost me and where can I get it
Perhaps you missed what I had typed above. Go to ZZP's site, and search for the Z3 kit. Base price for a bolt on kit is $2350. You're not going to find a cheaper bolt on kit with a real turbo unless you go used.

Don't even bother with the ebay turbo "kit". The turbo is garbage, and if you have to ask what else you need, then you obviously don't have the tools/skills to fabricate the parts to finish the kit anyways. If you're going to pay a shop to fab the rest of the parts for you, you're quickly going to close in on the price of a ZZP Z3 kit, and you're still stuck with a no-name garbage turbo.

If your budget is less than a Z3 kit, then I wouldn't bother with a turbo at all. I'd look into doing a top swap since they're dirt cheap nowadays, or just leave it alone until you save up for a turbo and have the money at least set aside for a trans.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 06-14-2014 at 11:20 PM.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:56 AM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
Perhaps you missed what I had typed above. Go to ZZP's site, and search for the Z3 kit. Base price for a bolt on kit is $2350. You're not going to find a cheaper bolt on kit with a real turbo unless you go used.

Don't even bother with the ebay turbo "kit". The turbo is garbage, and if you have to ask what else you need, then you obviously don't have the tools/skills to fabricate the parts to finish the kit anyways. If you're going to pay a shop to fab the rest of the parts for you, you're quickly going to close in on the price of a ZZP Z3 kit, and you're still stuck with a no-name garbage turbo.

If your budget is less than a Z3 kit, then I wouldn't bother with a turbo at all. I'd look into doing a top swap since they're dirt cheap nowadays, or just leave it alone until you save up for a turbo and have the money at least set aside for a trans.
Did see your comment till right now! I'll just save up some money and wait till zzp has their Black Friday sale and maybe I can get it for less 😬

Old 06-15-2014, 10:57 AM

Wow why does everyone want eBay parts

Old 06-16-2014, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by turbo monte
Keep your engine the l26 does not have forged anything. Buy a used turbo kit for around 1,600-2,000 off of club gp of grandprixfprums.net

Get the tune that goes with that turbo kit and buy a front power log if the kit don't come with one. That's about it. No need for a northstar on a turbo setup the stock tb is fine. If you add a cam etc and max the stock maf buy an afc and scale the stock maf back is all. Just my .02

pretty sure there are powder forged rods or pistons as verified by bumpin below along with numerous posts on clubgp and other sites.

i would get a turbo kit just like you said if funds are available.

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte

Whatever you do, DON'T get an L26. They're powdered metal, and not a real forged rod in the traditional sense, so the strength difference is not drastically different from a cast rod. However, the L26 has a horrific record of blowing up the bottom end on modded cars. If you don't believe me, search for yourself over on clubgp.

I also don't see any benefit to swapping an L36 to an L26 unless your stock engine is really beat, in which case I'd just find a used L36 bottom end in good shape since they're more plentiful anyways.

IMO a stock trans is not a good idea at 350 whp. Not saying it won't work, or you couldn't get away with it- but to the OP: you should definitely have money set aside for a built trans if you're planning on making that much power. These transmissions are well documented for not holding power well at all. You certainly could slap a turbo on your current setup, and just drive it until it blows the trans; but hopefully you have a DD in that case so you can still get to work.

EDIT- Here's a couple of quick pics of an L26 that just let go a month or so ago:

i guess when i did my research in december and january, there where as many people f'ing up s2's as there were f'ing up s3's.

there is going to be engine failures no mater what. sure there are two pics that show blown up motors, but i am sure i can hope on over to any of the many sites for 3800's and grand prixs and will find 2 people that had their s2 motors go as well.

there are also plenty of people that are pushing a lot of power from the s3's, so i am not sure what to tell you. based on my own personal experience with the s3 block, its been working just fine with my top swap and i havent exactly been nice to it either, driving and/or the tune.

there is a failure rate on any engine. personally, for the money, i will stick with the s3 motors. mine had like 80k and was only $250.

and do NOT get the chinese ebay turbo's or kits off of there. there are plenty of good turbos for sale on there, but you are taking a crap shot. just dont do it. also, there are no "universal" kits.

just get a used one as previously mentioned.

Old 05-31-2015, 06:10 PM
Default Swap Complete!!!

Question. I swapped an l67 motor & trans out of an 98 gtp into my Monte carlo ss. Well the l36 trans I took out had an internal neutral safety switch, and the gtp had an external switch. I was wondering if anyone know what I can do. I scrapped the gtp.

Old 06-10-2015, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by MrSSMC02
Question. I swapped an l67 motor & trans out of an 98 gtp into my Monte carlo ss. Well the l36 trans I took out had an internal neutral safety switch, and the gtp had an external switch. I was wondering if anyone know what I can do. I scrapped the gtp.
Pretty sure you're going to need to swap in the gtp PCM and wire harness

You are now no longer talking top swap if I understand your post.

Quick Reply: L67 build