Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

L67 build

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 08:27 AM
1 Year Member
Default L67 build

a while back I had posted about doing a top swap to my 2000 mc ss. I had backed out on a great deal, because in the end it would have cost me more than I planned to spend. anyways here my new plan, for my fall/winter project, I planned on picking up a supercharged 3.8 and a tranny for around 500$ then rebuild it and do a motor and tranny swap in the spring. L67 are rated 240hp stock, so I figure about 220ish fwhp, I want to build this L67 to around 300-350 fwhp. here was my plan, tear it down, clean everything! I want to have the blower and the lower intake ported, I want to install an xp cam from comp cams, I want to get new heads, is there aftermarket heads I can get for it that aren't 1000$. or should I have them bored? open to suggestions! I also planned on getting headers, bigger injectors, zzp throttle body, and a good tune. comments? Suggestions? Tips? tricks?

Old 06-12-2014, 12:17 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Don't bother with the gen3 sc get a genv sc. You will most likely need to intercool it also. Heads are not cheap but a great idea, get heads that are ported and have bigger valves in them. Don't have heads ported by someone unless they know the 3800 engine really well because there is a certain way they need to be done and if there not done that way they will flow worse than factory heads.

Old 06-12-2014, 12:20 PM
10 Year Member

Zzp tb is good but a northstar tb with lq4 maf is better and can be gotten cheap at a junk yard.

Other option if wanting 300+whp is a stattama turbo kit. That alone will get you there. Don't forget about your trans you WILL need to upgrade the trans!

Old 06-13-2014, 07:43 AM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by turbo monte
Zzp tb is good but a northstar tb with lq4 maf is better and can be gotten cheap at a junk yard.

Other option if wanting 300+whp is a stattama turbo kit. That alone will get you there. Don't forget about your trans you WILL need to upgrade the trans!
I would love to just go buy a turbo kit, but that's almost $5000! so if I get the L67 you said get a genv blower, will that work on the eaton lower intake? and what do you have done to your tranny, to make it handle your insane amount of power

Old 06-13-2014, 09:29 AM
10 Year Member

Get a l32 engine instead of the l67 engine. The l32 have the genv sc. If you have to swap the genv onto a l67 you need lower intake for the genv also.

You can find great deals on used turbo kits for around $2000 and that's way cheaper than the build your planning.

I have a lot of gmr trans parts which are discontinued and can only be bought used and very hard to find and expensive if found. Dave at triple edge performance can build you a trans that will hold up well though. (A trans build to hold power is not cheap!)

Basic you want
300m input shaft
7/8" chain set
Zzp pump shaft
Converter
TEP valve body and channel plate upgrades
TEP clutches
Shift kit

I'm sure I'm forgetting something lol

Old 06-13-2014, 09:36 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You'll need to use the fuel system from the Series 2 and get an adapter for the Throttle Body for your car if you do go with the L32 though.

They use a returnless style fuel system, and an electronic throttle body

Old 06-13-2014, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by BrandonStebing
I would love to just go buy a turbo kit, but that's almost $5000! so if I get the L67 you said get a genv blower, will that work on the eaton lower intake?

IMO, the best power adder is a turbo, you can do it for far far less than 5000k, just look around for a used kit.

i did the top swap onto a 2007 3800 n/a engine with a genIII s/c. i was able to do this for less than $1000, spent less than $750 combined on both engines (low mileage 2007, blown L67 for top swap parts), then a couple hundred in misc parts and gaskets. i already had a PowrTuner so I didnt need to buy that. but if you go turbo, you will need one anyways (not smart not to have a tuner when you install aftermarket power adders like a turbo or s/c).

i also am using the stock trans without issues, and i dont drive like a grandpa either.

IIRC, genV does fit onto the genIII intake but may need some modifications, i think. just get the genV s/c and lower intake and bolt both on.

and what do you have done to your tranny, to make it handle your insane amount of power

diy rebuilds on the weekends

Old 06-13-2014, 10:26 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If you're wanting 300-350 whp you can do it with a Gen 3 blower but you're gonna need all the boltons +intercooler/cam (for right about at 300 whp) or have both for closer to 350. As long as you're not maxing out the blower (lower than a 2.6 pulley IIRC) then you can use a Gen 3.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:59 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by turbo monte
Get a l32 engine instead of the l67 engine. The l32 have the genv sc. If you have to swap the genv onto a l67 you need lower intake for the genv also.

You can find great deals on used turbo kits for around $2000 and that's way cheaper than the build your planning.

I have a lot of gmr trans parts which are discontinued and can only be bought used and very hard to find and expensive if found. Dave at triple edge performance can build you a trans that will hold up well though. (A trans build to hold power is not cheap!)

Basic you want
300m input shaft
7/8" chain set
Zzp pump shaft
Converter
TEP valve body and channel plate upgrades
TEP clutches
Shift kit

I'm sure I'm forgetting something lol
So your saying I should just get a turbo kit? What other mods would I or should I get with it? And where would I look for one, what would I search, and what exactly should I look for

Old 06-13-2014, 01:24 PM

i would say that the turbo, if possible, is the way to go for sure. you dont have to work "as hard" to make the power that someone with a s/c does imo.

what i would do....

get a S3 3800 n/a (powder forged pistons IIRC) and drop it in
adapt N* tb and LQ4 maf to S3 upper intake
find used turbo kit and install

this should run you about $3000

drive it till the tranny goes then buy a built transmission. i would suspect that you will need a trans sooner than later though.

that is another $2000-$3000

if money is tight, just do the top swap. you could easily do that for less than $500 on the low end.

Quick Reply: L67 build